• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers short yardage formation

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just had a thought on what our "heavy" formation could look like. I came up with Dobbs Staley Iupati Goodwin Boone A. Davis L. Davis V. Davis Smith Tukuafu and Jacobs. Where Dobbs and L. Davis are TEs V. Davis a WR and Tukuafu a FB. That is a scary lineup IMO

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just had a thought on what our "heavy" formation could look like. I came up with Dobbs Staley Iupati Goodwin Boone A. Davis L. Davis V. Davis Smith Tukuafu and Jacobs. Where Dobbs and L. Davis are TEs V. Davis a WR and Tukuafu a FB. That is a scary lineup IMO

a heavy formation is good but it still starts up front. if the D line stacks (stands up) our O-line, noboby behind will move forward.

this heavy formation may be just for the edges?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a heavy formation is good but it still starts up front. if the D line stacks (stands up) our O-line, noboby behind will move forward.

this heavy formation may be just for the edges?

Very true deep didn't think about it in that regard more about that's about a ton of beef on the LOS. With that being said I still think that formation should be formidable in short yardage situations.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still like sop as the lead blocker.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i still like sop as the lead blocker.

because he is bigger or because he is a better blocker? I went with Tukuafu because he has been working at that position all offseason so I figured he is a better blocker at this point in the game. Soap did do a good job last year though

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because he is bigger or because he is a better blocker? I went with Tukuafu because he has been working at that position all offseason so I figured he is a better blocker at this point in the game. Soap did do a good job last year though

sop actually looked pretty decent last year. he's just a complete mismatch against a linebacker. not to mention someone like hunter who's 5-7, they won't see him since he's about the size of sop's leg.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd get much more excited if we were talking about a lethal 3 WR - 1 TE - 1 RB formation than a formation with all the big uglies out there. :-)

Moss - Vernon - Gore/Hunter/James is a good start.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd get much more excited if we were talking about a lethal 3 WR - 1 TE - 1 RB formation than a formation with all the big uglies out there. :-)

I agree with this formation much more than the Jumbo. We tried all kinds of BOB formations last year with much less than expected success.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yes, no doubt a heavy package is good to have. use the RB who can hold onto the ball best, doesn't NEED to be the biggest back.

i only saw Tukuafu block yesterday, but thought he did a good job too. what i liked is he sought out a player AND made good efforts to hit him. one play in particular, the defender wasn't in front of him, but he went after the guy. sometimes you see a blocker just looking around but doesn't make a good effort.

Sop is ok too, but can't remember if he can only block 'straight ahead'?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

at the goal line, or in general?

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
at the goal line, or in general?

I was thinking more in general...

But focusing on the goal line, I think the problem wasn't that we didn't have enough big uglies out there, instead we don't have a receiving threat that can be split out wide at the goal line that can consistently win a 1:1 matchup on the outside. A jump ball receiver.

Randy can be this guy. Crabtree, Ginn, Williams, etc. don't have the ability to be that guy. Even Vernon is not this guy.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But focusing on the goal line, I think the problem wasn't that we didn't have enough big uglies out there, instead we don't have a receiving threat that can be split out wide at the goal line that can consistently win a 1:1 matchup on the outside. A jump ball receiver.

Randy can be this guy. Crabtree, Ginn, Williams, etc. don't have the ability to be that guy. Even Vernon is not this guy.

Crabtree isn't great with the fade or back shoulder but he can be dangerous on a back-line vertical.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

i'm sure we'd give Moss and others a try if from 3, 4, or 5 yards out? maybe even from 2 yards out?

but if its 2 yards or less, committing to a heavy package is ok for me. but again, it still needs a little push by the O-line, at least one linemen at the point of attack, needs a little push forward.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree totally that in general I am more excited about how explosive our offense can be in a formation like you mentioned. But there are times and situations in games that you need 1-2 yards and the Heavy (I like the term heavy better then jumbo or goal line) is a must. IE Dixon not getting one yard on 3rd & 1 in the NFC Championship Game.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also we can throw out a formation like this. Play action to VD on a slant or corner or Dobbs on an out or flat route or shallow cross would work as well.

Hell if we play Staley at TE and have L. Davis at Tackle we could have him run a route as well. Lot of options other than run out of a formation like this.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree totally that in general I am more excited about how explosive our offense can be in a formation like you mentioned. But there are times and situations in games that you need 1-2 yards and the Heavy (I like the term heavy better then jumbo or goal line) is a must. IE Dixon not getting one yard on 3rd & 1 in the NFC Championship Game.

I completely agree with the idea of this - but not to the point of getting all "Singletary" about it - if it's there take it, but if not then at least for the love of sex have a few back-up plans.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree with the idea of this - but not to the point of getting all "Singletary" about it - if it's there take it, but if not then at least for the love of sex have a few back-up plans.

Agreed and again I am in no way shape or form advocating to going back to the Samurai Mike physical with an F mentality just something I thought of would be pretty cool and or unstoppable to see in short yardage/goal line situations.

Also I'm pretty sure Harbaugh has a back up plan for his back up plan

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed and again I am in no way shape or form advocating to going back to the Samurai Mike physical with an F mentality just something I thought of would be pretty cool and or unstoppable to see in short yardage/goal line situations.

Also I'm pretty sure Harbaugh has a back up plan for his back up plan

No doubt. I would love to have a 1st & Goal in-your-face option as well, but if we don't, then I would agree we will have a whole alphabet of plans waiting in the wings.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another situation that should be considered on short yardage is if the Niners are ahead and would need to convert a third and short to keep the drive going and eat up valuable clock time. Being able to convert in those situation without throwing the ball and risking time stoppage on incompletions is a back breaker

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another situation that should be considered on short yardage is if the Niners are ahead and would need to convert a third and short to keep the drive going and eat up valuable clock time. Being able to convert in those situation without throwing the ball and risking time stoppage on incompletions is a back breaker

yep, or 4th and less than 1, on the opponents side of the 50 yard line.