• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers real close to signing Boldin [SIGNED]

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anquan Boldin, San Francisco 49ers close to deal - ESPN

Anquan Boldin, Niners close to deal
Updated: February 23, 2014, 11:05 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

The 49ers and Anquan Boldin are closing in on a deal that will keep the veteran wide receiver in San Francisco, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The 49ers acquired Boldin from the Baltimore Ravens last March for a sixth-round pick.

Boldin had a huge season for the 49ers, a season after beating them in the Super Bowl. The 33-year-old had 85 catches for 1,178 yards and seven touchdowns.

Boldin saved the 49ers' offense for the first 11 games when Michael Crabtree was out with a torn Achilles.

He was a leader of the team and respected by coaches and players. Both San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke and coach Jim Harbaugh said keeping Boldin was important. Boldin indicated after the season he wanted to remain with the 49ers.

ESPN.com 49ers reporter Bill Williamson contributed to this report.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news this can't be good for the 49ers.

The deal that Kaepernick’s representation is expected to use as the floor for negotiations is Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler’s extension.

Cutler's contract was 7 year 126 million. I don't want to pay Kaep even close to that much.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news this can't be good for the 49ers.

The deal that Kaepernick’s representation is expected to use as the floor for negotiations is Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler’s extension.

Cutler's contract was 7 year 126 million. I don't want to pay Kaep even close to that much.

But if you looked closer at the Cutler deal, it was essentially a 3-year, 54mil contract. After the 3rd year, the Bears can release Cutler without repercussions.

The rest of it was literally fluff that Cutler will never see unless he plays UP to it.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you looked closer at the Cutler deal, it was essentially a 3-year, 54mil contract. After the 3rd year, the Bears can release Cutler without repercussions.

The rest of it was literally fluff that Cutler will never see unless he plays UP to it.

Still that's 18 million a year for 3 years. I don't want to be paying Kaep that much a year. I'm fine with like 12-15 million a year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler got $22.5M in year one of his deal. That is the part that concerns me.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't want to pay Kaepernick that kind of money either but market also dictates value and thanks to stupid GMs handing out top dollar to guys like Romo and Cutler who've done jack squat in the playoffs Kap is going to get a big contract.

I mean if I'm his agent I would start off with Cutler's contract as well as a starting point as well. Who would you rather have right now Cutler or Kap? The agent's argument would be Kap's younger, more accomplished in the playoffs, and still has room to grow so why shouldn't he get more than Cutler?

This is an aspect to me that the brain trust of the team has to decide if they feel Kap is the future or not. We only see on field performance but they are more privy when it comes to the work outside of the game and the should/hopefully at this point have a good idea if Kap is capable of growing and continuing to make strides or if what we've seen is what we're going to get.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to pay Kaepernick that kind of money either but market also dictates value and thanks to stupid GMs handing out top dollar to guys like Romo and Cutler who've done jack squat in the playoffs Kap is going to get a big contract.

I mean if I'm his agent I would start off with Cutler's contract as well as a starting point as well. Who would you rather have right now Cutler or Kap? The agent's argument would be Kap's younger, more accomplished in the playoffs, and still has room to grow so why shouldn't he get more than Cutler?

This is an aspect to me that the brain trust of the team has to decide if they feel Kap is the future or not. We only see on field performance but they are more privy when it comes to the work outside of the game and the should/hopefully at this point have a good idea if Kap is capable of growing and continuing to make strides or if what we've seen is what we're going to get.

Romo is a much better QB than Kap.

Anyway, if we give him 18 million a year and he doesn't improve greatly then our Superbowl aspirations go right down the toilet.

This has been a rough start to the offseason. First the Harbaugh stuff and now this.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Guys, no one wants to pay that much. But offering $12M a year would likely get the 49ers reps laughed out of the room.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyway, if we give him 18 million a year and he doesn't improve greatly then our Superbowl aspirations go right down the toilet.

This has been a rough start to the offseason. First the Harbaugh stuff and now this.

You can't want QBs to get you in the playoffs and actually WIN in the playoffs, and then play it off like it doesn't matter when it comes to contract negotiations. Kaepernick in 2 years has more playoff wins than both Romo and Cutler combined. That WILL count for something come negotiations, bank on it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Rumors are that Kaepernick has already agreed verbally to a new long-term deal, but he hasn't signed because he keeps doodling on the contract & they keep having to re-print it. And his agent has to keep reading it out loud to him every time. So this could take a while.

The good news is Kaepernick has been working on his signature for the last couple of weeks. He posted photos on facebook to show everyone how hard he was working.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors are that Kaepernick has already agreed verbally to a new long-term deal, but he hasn't signed because he keeps doodling on the contract & they keep having to re-print it. And his agent has to keep reading it out loud to him every time. So this could take a while.

The good news is Kaepernick has been working on his signature for the last couple of weeks. He posted photos on facebook to show everyone how hard he was working.

Yes! Soo funny I laughed out loud when I read it!

:lol::laugh3::clap::10::suds:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Well this goes back into my point where the brain trust needs to evaluate if Kap is the future or not. They are in a way better position to evaluate that than any of us since all we see is his performance on the field and don't have the means to really understand if he can grow further or will plateau in his performance.

I don't disagree that 18 million is a tough one to swallow for someone that is still mostly an uncertain commodity but if they feel he's the future they are going to have to spend 18 million on him. That's about what the market dictates so that's what he's likely got get.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this goes back into my point where the brain trust needs to evaluate if Kap is the future or not. They are in a way better position to evaluate that than any of us since all we see is his performance on the field and don't have the means to really understand if he can grow further or will plateau in his performance.

I don't disagree that 18 million is a tough one to swallow for someone that is still mostly an uncertain commodity but if they feel he's the future they are going to have to spend 18 million on him. That's about what the market dictates so that's what he's likely got get.

The top QBs are paid what? 20? So we'd be offering 18 in fear that he'd ask for 20 if we win the SB next year? It seems the sticking point would be him as the future or not or the structure of the deal (guaranteed, incentives, etc.), not the per year average.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't want QBs to get you in the playoffs and actually WIN in the playoffs, and then play it off like it doesn't matter when it comes to contract negotiations. Kaepernick in 2 years has more playoff wins than both Romo and Cutler combined. That WILL count for something come negotiations, bank on it.

It's a free country bro, I'll think however I damn well want.

Anyway if the 49ers brain trust is stupid enough to make the same logical fallacies this fanbase does in terms of the connection between team wins and QB wins then we have much bigger issues than signing a mediocre QB to 18+ million dollars a year.

I hope they are smarter than you are giving them credit for.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kaep>cutler>romo

At least he hasn't proven completely he's an unfixable choker yet.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap deserves Cutler contract. He has done more then Cutler so in a way it would be a discount if we got him for that price.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo sucks. Stop with Romo is better then Kap. Its so false its not even funny. What has Romo done? Also Romo always had weapons and still couldn't win even when they had a good defense. Tony "I choke" Romo.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one Boldin deserves 2 years at $5-6 mil a year...As far as Kap anyone saying Romo is better them him doesn't have a fkn clue about football and needs to not post here anymore...Kap is a stud and Romo cant even win 1 playoff game let alone get to the SB or an NFC championship game, so please stop that shit right now.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Kap is a stud and Romo cant even win 1 playoff game let alone get to the SB or an NFC championship game, so please stop that shit right now."

Just a question, the sea chickens could not have won a playoff game with Tony Romo at QB? Kap and Wilson would have won playoff games in Dallas? I am not defending Romo, but can you seriously ignore how for the most part the good teams have good young CHEAP qbs and a loaded 53 man rosters. Is there no correlation to Ryan getting paid and having no O or D line? No correlation to Ryan, Rodgers, Cutler, Romo, Brees, Stafford, etc not winning. No correlation to Manning and Brady not being able to really beat a 49er, panther, sehawk team?

Lets all agree that Rodgers is better than Kap. But Rodgers plus league min players does not equal Pick a talent 2nd rnd qb, Aldon, Iupati, Crabtree