• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers, Pats most interested in Nicks

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers, Patriots Most Interested in Hakeem Nicks | Pro Football Central

It’s been a whirlwind week on the Hakeem Nicks’ trade front. Jason La Canfora over at CBS indicated on Sunday that two teams, the San Francisco 49ers and Atlanta Falcons, have had internal discussions about acquiring Nicks. The report also brings up the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots as possibilities.

Adam Schefter over at ESPN also indicated that the Giants are willing to listen to offers for, but are not actively shopping, Hicks.

We have learned through credible sources that the Patriots and 49ers are the two favorites to acquire Nicks and are well on their way to preparing offers for the soon-to-be free agent.

This isn’t much of a surprise considering that both the Patriots and 49ers are dealing with injuries and a lack of depth at wide receiver. Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham have yet to play a single down for the 49ers, while free-agent signing Danny Amendola is again sidelined, this time with a concussion. The Patriots have also been without tight end Rob Gronkowski for the first six weeks of the season.

Previous reports showed that the 49ers were interested in Cleveland Browns’ wide receiver Josh Gordon, who may or may not still be on the market. Those reports, published here at Pro Football Central, indicated that San Francisco wasn’t willing to offer a second-round pick (said to be the starting-off point for negotiations) in return for Gordon.

It remains to be seen what the Giants would ask in return for Nicks, who has recorded 25 receptions for 442 yards this season. They are currently 0-6 and completely out of the NFC playoff race. Add into the extension Victor Cruz signed prior to the season and it appears that Nicks will move on as a free agent following the season. If the Giants are able to get something worthwhile in return, they would be smart to listen.

San Francisco has the arsenal to pull the trigger. It will likely end up with at least five picks in the first three rounds of the 2014 NFL draft. With that said, general manager Trent Baalke has been what you would call a stickler when it comes to keeping his options opens on draft day. For the most part, it has worked out well for the 49ers as they have moved up and down the draft over the past three seasons. The 49ers may also be okay with gambling on the returns of Manningham and Crabtree. If so, they could easily just be doing their due diligence on the trade market.

New England may not have as many picks next May, but it does possess a huge need for a true No. 1 wide receiver on a roster void of consistent receiving threats.

Both teams have the capability to retain Nicks long term, so this wouldn’t likely be a rent-a-player situation.

We are two weeks away from the NFL trade deadline, so you can expect to hear a lot more rumors surrounding Nicks.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would love to get nicks, but worried about him staying healthy.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was looking at the Niners cap space situation last night and apparently SF only has a smidge more than 700k in available cap space. I wonder how they plan on dealing with the money issue if they indeed make an offer for Nicks?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think cutting Aso and shedding his remaining base salary would do the trick.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin and Osgood would be other candidates as well.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
They could also redo someone's contract to squeeze open more space.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't like a trade for Nicks that involves anything more than a 5th. We're not going to sign him to a large contract next year, and he's not entirely right this year. I might consider a 4th if we can determine that he's healthy, but I think that's too high for a one-year rental. The only reason I would even consider a 4th is because of just how desperate we are at WR, and I don't have tremendous faith in Manningham coming back strong.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't like a trade for Nicks that involves anything more than a 5th. We're not going to sign him to a large contract next year, and he's not entirely right this year. I might consider a 4th if we can determine that he's healthy, but I think that's too high for a one-year rental. The only reason I would even consider a 4th is because of just how desperate we are at WR, and I don't have tremendous faith in Manningham coming back strong.

I heard this interesing question on another forum--- Lets say we give up a 3rd round pick for Nicks. We get him for a year but then he leaves in the off season and signs a big contract w/someone else. Well because he left and the big contract, we'd get a high comp pick then correct? Possibly a 3rd in return?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How big of a contract as people expecting Nicks to get, anyways?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Nicks if I was allowed to discuss an extension first. I like our young guys but if Amendola is going to be out for a while he could take a lot of pressure off the rookies. I still think he is a very good receiver, and while I wouldn't disrupt what we have for that many guys, Nicks makes sense.

Not sure what fair compensation is for either of us to give up, but he would help either of these two teams be better through the air IMO.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'd be a good fit there, without a doubt - no guarantee Amendola and Gronk stay healthy, so Hakeem Nicks would give them a veteran presence

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I heard this interesing question on another forum--- Lets say we give up a 3rd round pick for Nicks. We get him for a year but then he leaves in the off season and signs a big contract w/someone else. Well because he left and the big contract, we'd get a high comp pick then correct? Possibly a 3rd in return?

I actually raised that issue in another thread about Nicks. Not sure if that's the one you're remembering. But as Clyde asks, I don't think he's in line for a huge contract. I'd think a 4th or 5th round comp at best.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Nicks if I was allowed to discuss an extension first. I like our young guys but if Amendola is going to be out for a while he could take a lot of pressure off the rookies. I still think he is a very good receiver, and while I wouldn't disrupt what we have for that many guys, Nicks makes sense.

Not sure what fair compensation is for either of us to give up, but he would help either of these two teams be better through the air IMO.

Exactly. People who think we'd trade for Nicks without at least discussing a contract extension with him/his agent is nonsensical. It's a complete moot point for anyone to say they don't want to trade for Nicks b/c he's going to be a FA after this year. I'm sure that's gonna be thoroughly discussed prior to making the trade.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exactly. People who think we'd trade for Nicks without at least discussing a contract extension with him/his agent is nonsensical. It's a complete moot point for anyone to say they don't want to trade for Nicks b/c he's going to be a FA after this year. I'm sure that's gonna be thoroughly discussed prior to making the trade.

And if anything, I think that makes it even less likely the Niners make a move for him. A couple years ago, Nicks vs. Crabtree wasn't a question. It was Nicks in a landslide. Now, it's much less certain. I'm not sure that Crabtree isn't the better receiver, and given Nicks' injury history, probably has more longterm promise. I don't think we'd sign Nicks at the risk of losing Crabtree at this point. Granted there's a legit chance of losing Crabtree either way.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if anything, I think that makes it even less likely the Niners make a move for him. A couple years ago, Nicks vs. Crabtree wasn't a question. It was Nicks in a landslide. Now, it's much less certain. I'm not sure that Crabtree isn't the better receiver, and given Nicks' injury history, probably has more longterm promise. I don't think we'd sign Nicks at the risk of losing Crabtree at this point. Granted there's a legit chance of losing Crabtree either way.

Crabtree has had just as much trouble with injury. Crabtree is actually more of an uncertain right now as he tries to come back from this injury.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Crabtree has had just as much trouble with injury. Crabtree is actually more of an uncertain right now as he tries to come back from this injury.

I wouldn't want to sign Crabtree to a big, long-term deal either.

Considering how well Nicks has playedin the past, I really don't see him settling for like 5 million a year or something (which is about what he's worth right now IMO). I would pass. With no Aldon this year, the Niners need to avoid mortgaging any future success for 2013 success.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't want to sign Crabtree to a big, long-term deal either.

Considering how well Nicks has playedin the past, I really don't see him settling for like 5 million a year or something (which is about what he's worth right now IMO). I would pass. With no Aldon this year, the Niners need to avoid mortgaging any future success for 2013 success.

I would give up a 5th Round pick for him just based on the value of him for us to possibly over take the Seahawks while Crabs and Manningham are out. I agree that he's worth about 5 million a year. Maybe 6.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The problem is Nicks is probably going to want around 9 million a year IMO. He'll point to Greg Jennings, who had injury problems for a couple of seasons, who's getting 27 million in the first 3 seasons of his contract ; and Jennings was about 4 years older than Nicks.