• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers not picking up Aldon Smith option...

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not picking up a 1-year option for the guy who's on pace to be the greatest sack artist in the history of the NFL. :L

What the Donahue are they drinking at the Niners' facility this offseason? :gaah: Was Baalke in the passenger seat with Aldon 'cause he was even more hammered than Aldon was?

Why do I feel a bad moon rising over the draft?

At the pace he is going he is much more likely to end up in prison than in the Hall of Fame

While they may not be 100% on point with every player they bring in, I'm beyond questioning any contractual choice this team makes. I don't know if there is a better front office when it comes to the actual structuring of contracts and handling of the salary cap. If they thought this was the best way to handle it then I believe them.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe we can go to the Browns and trade Aldon for Gordon. One of those trades where both players get to have a new start.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the pace he is going he is much more likely to end up in prison than in the Hall of Fame

While they may not be 100% on point with every player they bring in, I'm beyond questioning any contractual choice this team makes. I don't know if there is a better front office when it comes to the actual structuring of contracts and handling of the salary cap. If they thought this was the best way to handle it then I believe them.

I agree i think they get him cheaper than the 5th option price tag.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're not picking up a 1-year option for the guy who's on pace to be the greatest sack artist in the history of the NFL. :L

What the Donahue are they drinking at the Niners' facility this offseason? :gaah: Was Baalke in the passenger seat with Aldon 'cause he was even more hammered than Aldon was?

Why do I feel a bad moon rising over the draft?
While I agree he is great on the field ( Justin had a bit to do with his sacks) ,he has 3 felony charges pending, a DUI charge and now this bomb threat. When is it time to say enough is enough? What would you do if you were in charge?
He will be suspended for part of this next season at the least.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe we can go to the Browns and trade Aldon for Gordon. One of those trades where both players get to have a new start.

I don't think the Browns are going to trade Gordon. He's going to be an integral part of their offense. Why would they trade for Smith who might be suspended.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree::agree::agree:

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree he is great on the field ( Justin had a bit to do with his sacks) ,he has 3 felony charges pending, a DUI charge and now this bomb threat. When is it time to say enough is enough? What would you do if you were in charge?
He will be suspended for part of this next season at the least.

Let's see what happens this upcoming season. I hope he gets help and turns his life around. But his act is wearing thin on me and I'm almost tempted to cut him loose.

By the way, congrats on your HUSKIES!!:suds:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Browns are going to trade Gordon. He's going to be an integral part of their offense. Why would they trade for Smith who might be suspended.

Gordon is also 1 hiccup away from being suspended. They already shopped him once so why not again. Also they are the Browns. LOL

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
People don't know what they're asking for when they say let Aldon go. They're asking for the defense to descend into mediocrity. Of course he's a risk, but the 49ers are screwed without him. He's the best player on the entire team.

And if he goes to prison the Niners don't have to pay him any more.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you guys for your time and answers.

Do you think we will hold this stance and opt at the last minute after a good talk or agreement of more rehab (agreement might not mean a new or additional signing, just a real agreement)? Would that be worse, like caving? We can meet on the 21st, sows have time, right?

To be honest, I think the team not picking up the option is a PR thing more than anything. With so many guys having off the field issues the last couple years, the team has to take a stand to mollify some fans. I understand picking up the option can seem like caving, but if the option is only guaranteed for injury then there isn't anything stopping the team from cutting Aldon if any more issues pop up or if he's refusing to follow a team plan. If Aldon would go on the Dez Bryant plan I would pick up the option. Without being privy to those talks I really have no idea what the team will do, but believe they won't pick the option up. They still can use the franchise tag as a backup plan.

As a side note, people say when is enough going to be enough, but at the end of the day this team is a business and they should run it on how best this team can get a championship and then no one will care how it was done.

If Aldon was a no talent nobody, he would have been cut long ago. However, he IS the #1 pass rushing OLB and so the team is going to give him every chance possible short of becoming the next TO or killing someone. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's the way things work and it's not going to change anytime in our lifetimes.