• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers josh morgan eager to get back on the field

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point. You think we should go after Peyton, then?

Yeah, he was a great receiver, retired though and it's spelled Payton. Just kidding (I know Walter Payton wasn't a receiver and that CC meant Manning).

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Re: Morgan, I hope we bring him back. I have some reservations about him as a starting receiver, but he was starting to show some things in this offense. He's a great team guy, persistent blocker, and he has some physicality and YAC ability. He's apparently got the highest vertical on the team (or did a year or two ago), though I don't know that we've really seen that manifest itself on the field. I'm moderately excited to see what he can do with a full offseason in the offense.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was thinking of trying to generate some conversation about second- and third-tier FA WRs, and this thread seems like a decent place to do so. I was reviewing the FA list about a week ago, and a few potential bargain-basement types stood out. If we don't land a bigger name - and even if we do - I would consider trying to get a couple of these guys (they're not in any specific order, just the way they're listed on the list I was looking at):

Legedu Naane - good size, great measurables. He's never really seemed to put it all together, but he's got talent, starting experience, and shouldn't be all that expensive.

Robert Meachem - I'm not certain he belongs on this list of lesser players, but of all the guys on this list he might have the best chance of developing into a genuinely good starter, if not a #1 guy. Very good speed, pretty good size, but can he be a go-to receiver?

Early Doucet - I kind of doubt Arizona lets him walk. He's a guy I thought might put it together faster, but he seemed to start to come on this season. He's got some YAC ability, and might be worth a look especially if Morgan walks.

Chaz Schilens - I don't know why, but this guy really intrigues me. Not surprisingly, for a Raider, he's got tremendous measurables. It seemed like every year he would be about to break out, but then injuries or QB issues would derail him.

Jerome Simpson - He's a head case, but there's no denying he has some talent. He seems unlikely, but we sure could use his speed.

Eddie Royal - If Ginn walks, Royal could be a possible replacement. He was effectively invisible this season, but I think he has more to offer as a receiver than Ginn and he's got some ability as a returner.

Lavelle Hawkins - Former Cal guy. After lighting up Senior Bowl practices, I thought he might put something together in the NFL. It hasn't really panned out, but he had a decent year this year and offers some things as a slot receiver. Unlike a lot of other guys on this list, he doesn't have the measurables. But he might have better intangibles than most.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My point is simple. Don't worry about whether he's the worth his contract in 2016. Worry about if he's worth his contract in 2012 and 2013. Looking 4 or 5 years down the road is pointless for two main reasons.

1. We don't know how much, if at all he will decline over the next few seasons.

2. (This is a big one) We don't know what the salary cap will be in 2013, 14, 15 etc. We can't say he will have a bad contact in 4 years when we don't know what the cap will be.

so give him t big money in years 4 and 5, but don't worry about it?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm tired of hearing that guys are "Ready to get back on the field". They better be fucking ready, why would anyone expect different?

Well, in the case of Morgan he spent the season on IR with a broken leg. He's "ready to get back on the field" because his leg has healed.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
so give him t big money in years 4 and 5, but don't worry about it?

What is the cap in 2015?

How much did the Nate Clements contract hurt us this year? Were we ridiculously crippled because of the contract we gave him years ago?

And what is Rogers worth? If we re-sign him, does that mean it was at the right value, but if he signs elsewhere he is overpaid (I want your opinion here, not some cop-out)?

As for the "big money" in year 4 and 5. . .

1. you haven't defined what "the big money" is
2. you don't know what the cap will be in 15/16 (so how can you determine what overpaid would be?)
3. He can be cut. Contracts are intentionally designed to allow teams to get out of the last few years with minimal dead money. If Rogers has a base salary of 15M but only 2M of bonus left we cut him and save 15M in cap money.

The third point is something all Niner fans should be intimately familiar with. Considering that teams have started structuring contracts now with roster and option bonuses replacing signing bonuses players can be cut late in the contract with NO dead money.

So, what if we could sign him to a $70 million 5 year contract with 22M guaranteed? Would you do it?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking of trying to generate some conversation about second- and third-tier FA WRs, and this thread seems like a decent place to do so. I was reviewing the FA list about a week ago, and a few potential bargain-basement types stood out. If we don't land a bigger name - and even if we do - I would consider trying to get a couple of these guys (they're not in any specific order, just the way they're listed on the list I was looking at):

Legedu Naane - good size, great measurables. He's never really seemed to put it all together, but he's got talent, starting experience, and shouldn't be all that expensive.

Robert Meachem - I'm not certain he belongs on this list of lesser players, but of all the guys on this list he might have the best chance of developing into a genuinely good starter, if not a #1 guy. Very good speed, pretty good size, but can he be a go-to receiver?

Early Doucet - I kind of doubt Arizona lets him walk. He's a guy I thought might put it together faster, but he seemed to start to come on this season. He's got some YAC ability, and might be worth a look especially if Morgan walks.

Chaz Schilens - I don't know why, but this guy really intrigues me. Not surprisingly, for a Raider, he's got tremendous measurables. It seemed like every year he would be about to break out, but then injuries or QB issues would derail him.

Jerome Simpson - He's a head case, but there's no denying he has some talent. He seems unlikely, but we sure could use his speed.

Eddie Royal - If Ginn walks, Royal could be a possible replacement. He was effectively invisible this season, but I think he has more to offer as a receiver than Ginn and he's got some ability as a returner.

Lavelle Hawkins - Former Cal guy. After lighting up Senior Bowl practices, I thought he might put something together in the NFL. It hasn't really panned out, but he had a decent year this year and offers some things as a slot receiver. Unlike a lot of other guys on this list, he doesn't have the measurables. But he might have better intangibles than most.

Hawkins was recently re-signed. I'm hoping Garcon winds up a tier or two below the top guys. Pierre and Meachem are of high interest to me. Hopefully bang for the buck, Baalke style.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Josh Morgan:

Blocking: Above Average
Routes: Average
Hands: Average
Jumping: Slightly Above Average
Speed:Slightly Below Average

To me, this doesn't add up to "MEDIOCRE". Maybe I am overstating his value, but given his starts this season prior to injury and coupled with his willingness to do the dirty work, I think he would be a huge asset to the team. Prior to injury, he was IMO the most consistent WR we had early in the season. Just my $0.02, for what its worth.

To me it does. An average wide receiver; hence the mediocre tag.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hawkins was recently re-signed. I'm hoping Garcon winds up a tier or two below the top guys. Pierre and Meachem are of high interest to me. Hopefully bang for the buck, Baalke style.

I didn't consider Garcon cause i think he's a step above (or more) these other guys. Regular starter, put up pretty strong numbers in a terrible, terrible system.

dez

Town Drunk
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to Bring in Royal. When hes healthy he runs great routes.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Garcon winds up a tier or two below the top guys. Pierre and Meachem are of high interest to me. Hopefully bang for the buck, Baalke style.

+1

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im all for bringing Morgan back at the right price and be the #2/3 guy on this team.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though, as a FA, I would like to target Colston, however, Meachem isn't that bad of a target either after some thinking around.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'd pass on Meachem. If he's average with Brees as his QB he's going to be average anywhere.

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd pass on Meachem. If he's average with Brees as his QB he's going to be average anywhere.

ohh snap- good point-if he is average with Brees? .......then we don't want him.. Pierre all the way - young and strong, fast too...very productive...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not necessarily looking for HRs either... But Meachem is someone very capable of stretching the field and given that our offense currently does not ask much from our WRs, his expectations level shouldn't be that high.

Also, he's average with Brees due to the system and his TE getting the bulk of the looks and touches. But i know what you mean.

Again, I don't expect he'll set the league on fire outside of NO, but he does bring an element in the passing game that is needed. Plus he has some height IIRC.

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lets also be honest about this: if Josh is asked to test the market will teams line up to get him?