• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers Get Third-Round Comp. Pick

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft is certainly crucial for the Niners' continued success. No repeat of 2012! Wouldn't mind trading up for Evans or Gilbert in the first round. If Cooks if available at #30, that would be ideal and then trade up early 2nd round to get a CB. Also get a OL on the 3rd day for depth.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are you asking if we would consider trading a 2nd and a 3rd for a 2015 first? If so, I would say only if it's a team that we feel strongly will be picking in the first half of the draft. As you note, this is a deep draft, so the second and third rounders are worth more than they would be in a normal draft. Even if it's a perennially bad team, I'd probably try to do a second and fourth or something like that. Typically a pick next year is docked a round, though that doesn't track precisely in terms of first round picks and what will be later picks in the round.

yes, a 2nd and 3rd in 2014, for a 1st in 2015. both the 2nd and 3rd are late round picks.

ok, this MAY be on the high side due to the quality of 2014. so a 2nd and 4th if that works for the trade partner? obviously, we have too many picks and if we can't trade up. trading into 2015 should be on the table.

or use our first three picks as is, then trade two 3rd's and the 4th into 2015 (for a 1st)? don't know if another team would bite, just throwing out another example.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes, a 2nd and 3rd in 2014, for a 1st in 2015. both the 2nd and 3rd are late round picks.

ok, this MAY be on the high side due to the quality of 2014. so a 2nd and 4th if that works for the trade partner? obviously, we have too many picks and if we can't trade up. trading into 2015 should be on the table.

or use our first three picks as is, then trade two 3rd's and the 4th into 2015 (for a 1st)? don't know if another team would bite, just throwing out another example.

No problem trading away a pick or two this year for future picks. I just wouldn't give up too much in one of the strongest drafts in memory to do so.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's unlikely all the picks make the team, but that's true of every team in the league, and we've got three or four 7th round picks (too lazy to look right now). But I see outright openings - as in no obvious replacement for a guy that left - at OL, WR, CB (probably two), and possibly RB. In addition, we could pretty easily improve upon the current backup with a draft pick at S, TE (looking more at the third TE spot), QB, ILB, RB, and KR/PR. OLB is very solid for us right now, but that would be a guy who can contribute on STs, so we could justify keeping five or moving on from Skuta. DL is the only position that is pretty flush, and even there we could certainly stand to replace guys like Dobbs, TJE, Dial, or Williams with the right player. I don't think it's far-fetched to see seven or eight rookies making the 53.

the 53? yes its possible, but IMO LOW possibility.....even at 7 rookies, not 8.

yes, we can always try to upgrade spots because that quest never ends. but we already have a good ROSTER, making it hard for this many rookies to supplant even the back-ups? I'd think 5 rookies is more like it?

not only does our roster have good depth, but there is Lattimore, Carradine, and Dial to 'test run'. I'd think at least Lattimore and Carradine will make the roster?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the 53? yes its possible, but IMO LOW possibility.....even at 7 rookies, not 8.

yes, we can always try to upgrade spots because that quest never ends. but we already have a good ROSTER, making it hard for this many rookies to supplant even the back-ups? I'd think 5 rookies is more like it?

not only does our roster have good depth, but there is Lattimore, Carradine, and Dial to 'test run'. I'd think at least Lattimore and Carradine will make the roster?

Six rookies made the active roster this past year, not counting Carradine. With the three third-round picks and a deeper draft, we have more draft capital this year. I'm not expecting seven or eight rookies, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that we could add that many.

And yes, there is no doubt whatsoever that Lattimore and Carradine make the roster unless they go back on IR/PUP.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Six rookies made the active roster this past year, not counting Carradine. With the three third-round picks and a deeper draft, we have more draft capital this year. I'm not expecting seven or eight rookies, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that we could add that many.

And yes, there is no doubt whatsoever that Lattimore and Carradine make the roster unless they go back on IR/PUP.

six made it last year, so now you're thinking 7 or 8 MORE?

in the bolden, "I'm not expecting seven or eight rookies" is now different from "I don't think it's far-fetched to see seven or eight rookies making the 53"?

"not out of the realm of possibility" is what I agreed with......just that i used "yes it is possible, but low possibility".

anyway, back to the real topic, we have too many draft picks and if possible, don't feel we should use even 7 or 8. granted, the three 7th's are hard to trade in of themselves.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
six made it last year, so now you're thinking 7 or 8 MORE?

in the bolden, "I'm not expecting seven or eight rookies" is now different from "I don't think it's far-fetched to see seven or eight rookies making the 53"?

"not out of the realm of possibility" is what I agreed with......just that i used "yes it is possible, but low possibility".

anyway, back to the real topic, we have too many draft picks and if possible, don't feel we should use even 7 or 8. granted, the three 7th's are hard to trade in of themselves.

Not sure that we really disagree on anything significant here. Ideally, we'll add four or five players early in the draft and then stock up on picks for next year. I'm sure we'll at least try to use the 7th rounders to move up earlier in the draft, but the likelihood is that we're going to add at least seven or eight guys simply because we won't be able to move all those picks.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Quick roster review, cause why the hell not? I'm taking a fairly conservative approach to "locks" and "likely to stick."

Offense
QB: Locks - Kaepernick; Likely to stick - Gabbert; Fighting for a spot - Bethel-Thomspon
RB: Locks - Hunter, Miller; Likely - Gore, Lattimore; Fighting - James, Hampton, Debniak, Tukuafu
WR: Locks - Crabtree, Boldin; Likely - Patton, Osgood; Fighting - Baldwin, Carswell, Jacobs, Reed, Sampson, Wylie (who are all these guys???)
TE: Locks - Davis; Likely - McDonald; Fighting - Celek, Carrier
OL: Locks - Staley, Iupati, Boone, Davis; Likely - Kilgore, Looney; Fighting - Martin, Snyder, Netter, Bykowski, Marquardt, Seymour

Defense
CB: Locks - Brock; Likely - Culliver; Fighting - Morris, Cook, Cox, Wright, Dax
S: Locks - Reid, Bethea; Likely - Spiller, Ventrone; Fighting - Dahl, Campbell
OLB: Locks - A. Smith, Brooks; Likely - Lemonier, Skuta
ILB: Locks - Bowman (PUP), Willis; Likely - Wilhoite; Fighting - Moody, Fleming
DL: Locks - J. Smith, McDonald, Dorsey; Likely - Williams, Carradine; Fighting - Dobbs, Dial, Jerod-Eddie, Okoye, Purcell, Tupou

Special Teams
Locks - Dawson, Lee, McDermott; Likely - None; Fighting - Schmidt

As I see it, we've got 23 guys who will make next year's roster barring a shock, and one will start the season on the PUP. After that, we have another 16 guys who are quite likely to be on the roster. That's 38 guys on an opening day active roster of 53. So I figure we've got 15 spots that are pretty much up for grabs, and a couple others that could be contested by a pick in the first three rounds.

I happen to think guys like James, Morris, Jerod-Eddie, Dial, and a few others are pretty likely to be on the opening day roster, but I wouldn't be at particularly surprised if any one of those guys was booted by a younger, more promising player. Given the talent in this draft, it's not beyond the pale to envision a relatively large group of rookies coming in and earning spots. The next step is then getting the coaching staff to put them in on game day.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure that we really disagree on anything significant here. Ideally, we'll add four or five players early in the draft and then stock up on picks for next year. I'm sure we'll at least try to use the 7th rounders to move up earlier in the draft, but the likelihood is that we're going to add at least seven or eight guys simply because we won't be able to move all those picks.

the only thing we disagree on is the number of rookies we THINK will make the team? you feel 7 or 8, and I'm thinking 5.......yes, this isn't significant whatsoever.

we agree on everything else approaching this draft.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That list will be very interesting to revisit after the draft. I have a feeling some of the guys in the likely category will get bumped down a notch.

The inactivity in FA shows me that they are really bullish on this draft class. I wouldn't be surprised to see more picks turned in this year, and not of the injured/redshirt variety. We should get a lot more contribution from this rookie class than of the previous ones under this regime. If Baalke gives Harbaugh good talent that he can use (Reid, A. Smith, etc.), they will be put out on the field. If he gives them the "not so much" talent (James, Jenkins, etc.) they will ride the pine. The big question is can they actually bring in and develop a talented WR (or two) from this class?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That list will be very interesting to revisit after the draft. I have a feeling some of the guys in the likely category will get bumped down a notch.

The inactivity in FA shows me that they are really bullish on this draft class. I wouldn't be surprised to see more picks turned in this year, and not of the injured/redshirt variety. We should get a lot more contribution from this rookie class than of the previous ones under this regime. If Baalke gives Harbaugh good talent that he can use (Reid, A. Smith, etc.), they will be put out on the field. If he gives them the "not so much" talent (James, Jenkins, etc.) they will ride the pine. The big question is can they actually bring in and develop a talented WR (or two) from this class?

looking at just the contribution from a rookie class, we did get a lot out of 2011. most of it by Aldon, but others did play.

this current roster is still good including better depth, so not sure we'll "get a lot more contribution..." from this class? I'd think the best chance for contribution is from a starting CB, maybe Safety, but otherwise are there any starting positions "up for grabs"?

not rooting against this rookie class at all, just saying it'll be tough to get much game time? I'm sure we'll obtain good talent, just that they'll have to wait their turn.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the only thing we disagree on is the number of rookies we THINK will make the team? you feel 7 or 8, and I'm thinking 5.......yes, this isn't significant whatsoever.

we agree on everything else approaching this draft.

I think seven or eight rookies COULD make the team. I think five or six most likely WILL make the team. So as said, I don't see a lot of difference in our opinions in that area.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I get the sense that the coaching staff doesn't love playing rookies. They will when they have to, but I don't think they like to. That said, it's hard to fault them in the case of the guys from 2012. I'll be interested to see what happens.

Re: the list, some of the "likely" guys will definitely be in a dog fight, particularly the STs guys (Skuta, Osgood, Ventrone in particular). I almost put those guys in the "fighting" category, but decided not to. Other than those guys, though, I'd be at least somewhat surprised if one of the others doesn't make the team. They may be demoted, but I struggle to see them off the roster entirely. Of the non-STs guys, Looney and Gabbert are probably the most vulnerable.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
looking at just the contribution from a rookie class, we did get a lot out of 2011. most of it by Aldon, but others did play.

this current roster is still good including better depth, so not sure we'll "get a lot more contribution..." from this class? I'd think the best chance for contribution is from a starting CB, maybe Safety, but otherwise are there any starting positions "up for grabs"?

not rooting against this rookie class at all, just saying it'll be tough to get much game time? I'm sure we'll obtain good talent, just that they'll have to wait their turn.

Tend to agree that we probably won't see a tremendous impact from this draft class. CB is the clear hole, either as a starter or the nickel back. And there's a chance at safety, as you noted, though I think they'd lean toward Bethea at least early on. It wouldn't shock me to see them add a starting center. Third WR could/should be basically like a starting spot, though it isn't really for this team. And there's a chance someone challenges McDonald for the #2 TE. Otherwise, I don't see much opportunity right now for PT for a rookie, but injuries and surprises can happen. If we add a DL early, that guy could see a decent number of snaps in the rotation, but I'd be very surprised if he supplanted Smith or McDonald.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might have been mentioned already but I just didn't see it. Compensatory picks cannot be traded but we still have two in the 3rd round and four picks that can be traded after the 100th pick. Good times!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This might have been mentioned already but I just didn't see it. Compensatory picks cannot be traded but we still have two in the 3rd round and four picks that can be traded after the 100th pick. Good times!

Yep, but this gives us a little more flexibility to trade up with our other third rounders. And I think we can find a good player at 100.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, but this gives us a little more flexibility to trade up with our other third rounders. And I think we can find a good player at 100.

yep, we got Lemonier in the 3rd (88th overall), so now with a deep class...........we should.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we r going to trade into the middle of the 1st just like last year.

Trade pick #30 and #61 for a pick in the 16-18 range. Hope either Evans or Gilbert falls. Lets just say its for Gilbert.

Pick #56 Donte Moncrief

Pick #77 Either Trent Murphy, Easley, Sutton or DaQuan Jones

Pick # 94 traded for a 2015 2nd round draft pick

Pick #100 either Watkins, Purifoy, Roberson, McGill, Desir

Pick #129 Dri Archer

Pick #170 maybe another WR like Bruce Ellington

As for the 3 7th round picks i give them no shot of making the team and we should prolly trade atleast one away. So I think a total of 6 rookies will make this years roster.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think we r going to trade into the middle of the 1st just like last year.

Trade pick #30 and #61 for a pick in the 16-18 range. Hope either Evans or Gilbert falls. Lets just say its for Gilbert.

Pick #56 Donte Moncrief

Pick #77 Either Trent Murphy, Easley, Sutton or DaQuan Jones

Pick # 94 traded for a 2015 2nd round draft pick

Pick #100 either Watkins, Purifoy, Roberson, McGill, Desir

Do you like McGill as a CB or safety?