• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers Get Third-Round Comp. Pick

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldnt be surprised if we traded one of those 3rd round picks for a 2015 2nd round pick.

this is supposedly a deep draft, so the 3rd rounders will also produce good prospects. would we consider a 2nd plus 3rd, for a 2015 1st?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the fat contracts we will have to sign to keep our players, we better kill this draft. It's nice we got a third rounder. All the picks gives us lots of options. Time for Baalke to earn his pay.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this is supposedly a deep draft, so the 3rd rounders will also produce good prospects. would we consider a 2nd plus 3rd, for a 2015 1st?

Are you asking if we would consider trading a 2nd and a 3rd for a 2015 first? If so, I would say only if it's a team that we feel strongly will be picking in the first half of the draft. As you note, this is a deep draft, so the second and third rounders are worth more than they would be in a normal draft. Even if it's a perennially bad team, I'd probably try to do a second and fourth or something like that. Typically a pick next year is docked a round, though that doesn't track precisely in terms of first round picks and what will be later picks in the round.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And it's supposed to be really deep at WR. Damn, we better find a WR in this draft. So sick of our struggles at that position.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With all the fat contracts we will have to sign to keep our players, we better kill this draft. It's nice we got a third rounder. All the picks gives us lots of options. Time for Baalke to earn his pay.

the question is how many picks has a legit chance of making the team? you can only keep so many players entering THIS season. so while there is an eye to next season (and beyond), how do you carry them over to 2015?

there is the PS, but other teams can poach it.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the question is how many picks has a legit chance of making the team? you can only keep so many players entering THIS season. so while there is an eye to next season (and beyond), how do you carry them over to 2015?

I really just meant that Baalke has a lot of options. I wasn't necessarily saying that we should draft 11 guys. Sure, they should trade up if there is a player they really want.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I'm dreaming, but damn I wish there were a way we could trade all the way up to pick Sammy Watkins. I would love to having him give nightmares to Dick Sherman for years.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know I'm dreaming, but damn I wish there were a way we could trade all the way up to pick Sammy Watkins. I would love to having him give nightmares to Dick Sherman for years.

sorry, didn't mean to imply you wanted all 11 picks drafted.

regarding the above, tough call because it takes ALL your quality picks? wouldn't this take the 1st, two 2nd's, and two 3rd's? this is supposedly a deep draft so you can still get good prospects thru round 2 (three picks).

don't mind a trade up at all, but not for ALL our picks. try to keep one 2nd rounder, even if our own.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry, didn't mean to imply you wanted all 11 picks drafted.

regarding the above, tough call because it takes ALL your quality picks? wouldn't this take the 1st, two 2nd's, and two 3rd's? this is supposedly a deep draft so you can still get good prospects thru round 2 (three picks).

don't mind a trade up at all, but not for ALL our picks. try to keep one 2nd rounder, even if our own.

Yeah, I know it's just a pipe dream.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And we also lost Dixon and gained Cook. They cancel each other out. Whiten and Bathea cancel each other out too.

I don't think league minimum contracts count toward the comp pick formula.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

It's unlikely all the picks make the team, but that's true of every team in the league, and we've got three or four 7th round picks (too lazy to look right now). But I see outright openings - as in no obvious replacement for a guy that left - at OL, WR, CB (probably two), and possibly RB. In addition, we could pretty easily improve upon the current backup with a draft pick at S, TE (looking more at the third TE spot), QB, ILB, RB, and KR/PR. OLB is very solid for us right now, but that would be a guy who can contribute on STs, so we could justify keeping five or moving on from Skuta. DL is the only position that is pretty flush, and even there we could certainly stand to replace guys like Dobbs, TJE, Dial, or Williams with the right player. I don't think it's far-fetched to see seven or eight rookies making the 53.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Any chance the Niners keep 7 WRs 'cause Boldin & Crabby might both be gone next season?

JPurthe1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I see a trade coming from some of our roster players.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade James for sure. Maybe ask for a 2015 5th round pick. If we dont ask for a pick for this year maybe we can get a better one for next.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd imagine we'll trade one of the third-round picks either to move up in the first or in the second. As of right now, I'd prefer the latter. I really don't want to make a big move up, though. We've got plenty of needs in terms of adding players to step into starting roles in the next few years (CB, WR, C, OG, SS, NT, DE, OLB, etc.). We have a great opportunity to use this draft to restock the cupboard.

If we can move up to land Mike Evans or Justin Gilbert I'm all for it long as it's not to costly. Otherwise I fully believe we can land a good WR with our current pick due to how deep the position is this year. I'm not sold on the Cornerback depth though so if Gilbert falls to the mid 1st round I think we should jump on it.

JPurthe1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I say we trade back from our 1st for 1st next year and a 2nd this year. I still think we get quality and quantity out of the 3 - 2nd and 3 - 3rds this year. Plus add another 1st next year to protect us against some quality losses after this year is through. The 7th rounders this year should be used to populate our practice squad. I would also trade our 4th, 5th for another 3rd this year (never going to happen). So our draft would be 3 - 2nds, 4 - 3rds, 3 - 7ths this year. Plus 2 - 1sts next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we trade back from our 1st for 1st next year and a 2nd this year. I still think we get quality and quantity out of the 3 - 2nd and 3 - 3rds this year. Plus add another 1st next year to protect us against some quality losses after this year is through. The 7th rounders this year should be used to populate our practice squad. I would also trade our 4th, 5th for another 3rd this year (never going to happen). So our draft would be 3 - 2nds, 4 - 3rds, 3 - 7ths this year. Plus 2 - 1sts next year.

We could use some depth at ILB and taking a late OLB would be something to consider. We absolutely need depth at CB and WR though. Crabtree might be gone after this year and Boldin is not getting younger. The only promising WR on the team right now is Patton. Brock, Cook, and Culliver is not bad at CB but you can't ignore the fact that a true elite corner could be the difference maker in another NFC Championship game or a Super Bowl trophy. Safety we are fine at starter wise, but depth would be nice.

It won't take 11 picks to fill those needs and it also won't take 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. This draft has move up for a CB or WR all over it, and then fall back while collecting future picks again. This is a deep draft though so I would not be surprised if in moving back we also pick up later selections this year. I don't think we need it, but I would not be shocked to see us draft 7+ players still.

Again it's a deep draft though with lots of talent so I'm sure their will be a premium placed on teams wanting to move up in the mid-rounds. I however think moving up in the 1st round might be easier as teams will see more value in taking a couple of later picks with such a deep pool of talent.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I would like to draft a MLB this year, like in rd 4 or 5. Time to find that back up that we can develop.