• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers fan at Seahawks victory parade now has fans putting rivalry aside

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers fan at Seahawks victory parade now has fans putting rivalry aside

Show up to a Seahawks Super Bowl victory parade decked out in 49ers gear, and you're bound to get some boos. It's exactly what happened to a gutsy San Francisco fan on Wednesday, but his story doesn't end there.
The 12th man instantly started snapping pictures when the teenager, dressed head to toe in red and gold, began walking through the crowd of parade-goers. One Seahawks fan even posted a video on YouTube, of the 12s booing the 49ers fan as he walked by.
The images very quickly went viral, and were shared over and over on Facebook and Twitter.
From her home outside of San Francisco, Catherine Tate loved what she saw. She is a die-hard 49ers fan who KING 5 first met while in San Francisco in the days leading up to the NFC Championship.
Tate contacted KING 5 after the parade, in hopes of tracking down the mystery fan she felt was so brave, to wear his team colors in the midst of a sea of blue and green. She wanted to give him tickets to a game.
"I was going to give him one of my seats, I have front row seats in the new stadium on the 50 yard line," she said.
When Tate found and identified the teen through social media, she realized he needed much more than tickets.
"He's 15, he is a ward of the state, and is homeless essentially. He lives in shelters," she said. "So this evolved from, let's reward this kid for his bravery on one day, to let's reward him for his bravery every day."
When Tate had a conversation with the young man, she felt even more compelled to help. She posted details of their conversation on a website she runs for female 49er fans, and says he was blown away by her offers to help find him shelter, counseling, support, stability, and whatever else he needed.
Now the gofundme account she initially created to raise money for his trip to San Francisco is bringing in big donations, from fans of both the Seahawks and the 49ers, who want to help in a much bigger way.
"This is another one of those things of, yes, he belongs to us, but he also belongs to you. This is a Seattle, or Kirkland, native child that is your brother," she said. "People from Seattle have donated, saying I bleed blue and green, but this kid needs help and he needs these resources, so I want to partake."
On Friday, more than $2,000 had already been donated.
Tate recognizes she will have to jump through some legal hoops to make this happen. She's been in touch with the boy's social worker and says that when he turns 18, the offer will still stand to give him tickets to a 49ers game.
Until then, she will keep pushing to help him in other ways. She's even talked to several families interested in serving as foster families for the 15-year-old.
The money pledged on the gofundme site will not be touched until Tate ensures it will go to him and him alone, and be used to pay for college or another worthwhile cause. She says she's thrilled it's bringing Seahawks and 49ers fans together.
"We're humans, we're all people," she said. "And this is bigger than football."
Because he is a minor, KING 5 chose not to use the teen's name. He goes to school in Tukwila, and teachers there have said he is a good kid who has had a tough life, but comes to school every day ready to work and to learn.

Video at link

49ers fan at Seahawks victory parade now has fans putting rivalry aside | KING5.com Seattle

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an awesome story!

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that on the news last night. What I remarked at when we first saw the pictures of this kid were how many other cities in the country would a kid dressed in full rivals gear be able to walk through the victory parade of their most hated rival and not have any pushing, shoving, or violence against them? Sure, he got booed, but that's all he got.

Now that everyone knows his story people are raising money to help him. Kudos to those Seattle fans who have donated and are supporting his cause.

I'm sure Seattle isn't the only city to ever support a cause that is against a rival. It's kind of an American thing really.

There was a fan being interviewed on the radio last week who is front London. His aunt lives in Seattle and he found himself liking our football and became a fan of the Seahawks. In fact he was part of a group of about 400 who supports the Seahawks and meet at some pub in London. He was asked what it was like going to an american football game vs going to a premier league match in England and he remarked at how much more civil we really are. He said it was quite odd for him to see fans of two teams mixed throughout the stadium as in England they segregate fans to their own sections to avoid the violence between them.

I think the vast majority of Americans know fans of another team are no less American than we are. We talk about the incidences around some cities and it does happen, but those aren't the average fan doing that.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw that on the news last night. What I remarked at when we first saw the pictures of this kid were how many other cities in the country would a kid dressed in full rivals gear be able to walk through the victory parade of their most hated rival and not have any pushing, shoving, or violence against them? Sure, he got booed, but that's all he got.

Now that everyone knows his story people are raising money to help him. Kudos to those Seattle fans who have donated and are supporting his cause.

I'm sure Seattle isn't the only city to ever support a cause that is against a rival. It's kind of an American thing really.

There was a fan being interviewed on the radio last week who is front London. His aunt lives in Seattle and he found himself liking our football and became a fan of the Seahawks. In fact he was part of a group of about 400 who supports the Seahawks and meet at some pub in London. He was asked what it was like going to an american football game vs going to a premier league match in England and he remarked at how much more civil we really are. He said it was quite odd for him to see fans of two teams mixed throughout the stadium as in England they segregate fans to their own sections to avoid the violence between them.

I think the vast majority of Americans know fans of another team are no less American than we are. We talk about the incidences around some cities and it does happen, but those aren't the average fan doing that.

Don't they have 'Free Lead Pipe Night' at soccer games in the UK?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I still have to wonder why someone would hurt another person over a sports rivalry but glad this didn't happen this time...I thought that kid was going to get pounded. Good restraint by the 'Hawk fans!:suds:

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have to wonder why someone would hurt another person over a sports rivalry but glad this didn't happen this time...I thought that kid was going to get pounded. Good restraint by the 'Hawk fans!:suds:

Basic human decency is good restraint?

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shit talking is part of the fun but resorting to violence over a game is asinine beyond belief.

That said the kid had balls of steel walking around dressed like that at the parade!

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basic human decency is good restraint?
In this day and age when we have the "knock out game" I would say yes. Not saying anything about human decency...that shit went out the window decades ago in this country. When I have a kid around 7 years old on a bike pop out of a driveway today and me nearly hitting him give me the finger and yelling to me "fucking asshole"......I'm saying yes....good restraint! :nod:

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops that was last year but just a google on violence around stadiums the bay area has ton's,,anyhow that is a different subject and i am not trying to pull a Breaker.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops that was last year but just a google on violence around stadiums the bay area has ton's,,anyhow that is a different subject and i am not trying to pull a Breaker.
Oops....didn't get that this was a 9ers hate thread...my bad.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think we need to take this topic to bashing other teams fans. This is a good story of people coming together to try and do the right thing. That can only be a good thing. Honestly, the parade was about good feelings and celebration and only a moron would have gotten violent with this kid. We all know there are plenty of those out there but I'm glad that people didn't turn this into something ugly.

Stratman72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a game! Kudo's to the brave young kid, glad he made it through it! No way in hell I would of done that in a Niners SB Victory parade. He has got some major cajones to do that.

you noticed that I clarified what type of parade it was! Couldn't resist! jk SF fans!!

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the gofundme account she initially created to raise money for his trip to San Francisco is bringing in big donations, from fans of both the Seahawks and the 49ers, who want to help in a much bigger way

The Seahawks fans are probably throwing money in just to get the niners fan out of their city. I know I wish I could put all the fake ass Dallas fans who've never been west of the Mississippi on a one way bus trip to Dallas.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That kid is a douche plain and simple. I wish he did get his ass kicked. It's a parade to honor Seattle and their Super Bowl and you show up in a different team's gear? He's just trolling at that point.

I commend Seattle for just boo'ing him and not resorting to violence, but I hope that kid gets his ass kicked (for a different reason) at some point in his life.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That kid is a douche plain and simple. I wish he did get his ass kicked. It's a parade to honor Seattle and their Super Bowl and you show up in a different team's gear? He's just trolling at that point.

I commend Seattle for just boo'ing him and not resorting to violence, but I hope that kid gets his ass kicked (for a different reason) at some point in his life.

That is just wrong. Clarify, What you Shark are saying is just wrong.