• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers dont expect Aldon back this season

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Our season (in terms of going deep in the playoffs) is done!! Just being a realist.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was my understanding that they removed the weights from California prisons a few years ago. Is that not true?

My bad you were talking about Cali prison. Im from the east coast so they still have it here. I dont know if Cali has different rules.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree a little with you guys. Our team is alot more then just A. Smith. Does it hurt yes but this team is good enough to still make the playoffs and go on a run in the playoffs with out Al Smith

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The Niners friggn' better get a discount on Aldon's contract extension for this crap! I'm so pissed off right now.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The last I heard he is still getting paid for his rehab stay.

:gaah: I know! :mad2: Isn't that just like salt in the wound? That's one of the biggest reasons I'm so pissed!

At least when he's arraigned on the 4th the Niners might not have to pay his dumb ass any more.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN just changed this from not expected back to no counting on him to come back. Meaning they have the players now and are not depending on Aldon to win.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this means is that the 49ers are looking at/have options in case Aldon Smith doesn't return. A non-story.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And part of next season

San Francisco 49ers not counting on Aldon Smith to return this season, sources say - ESPN

The San Francisco 49ers are not counting on star linebacker Aldon Smith to return to the team this season, team sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Smith is on an indefinite leave of absence from the defending NFC champion 49ers while undergoing treatment for substance abuse at an in-patient facility following a DUI arrest Sept. 20.

The 24-year-old Smith also is facing three felony charges of illegal possession of an assault weapon in a case stemming from a 2012 party at his home.

The 49ers believe Smith's issues run deep, sources told ESPN, and that the Pro Bowler has plenty of work to do on turning around his life before anyone can think about him returning to the football field.

The Niners hope Smith will benefit from that all the help he is receiving in the rehab facility and that he ultimately can salvage not only his career, but his life.

Even if Smith does return to San Francisco this season, the 49ers know how tenuous the situation is. Smith is one strike away from a year-long suspension.

Smith, who set a franchise record with 19.5 sacks last season, is on the reserve non-football injury list while in rehab, and there is no NFL minimum for number of games he must miss while on the list.

Niners coach Jim Harbaugh would not say Wednesday whether he anticipates Smith returning to the team this season.

Smith is likely to face a suspension from the NFL, perhaps pushed back to next season or after his legal issues are resolved.

Smith, selected seventh overall in the 2011 draft out of Missouri, had previously been arrested on suspicion of DUI in January 2012 in Miami shortly after the 49ers lost in the NFC title game.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This dude had it made and instead he is such a complete asshole that he fucks it up. Amazing!

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This dude had it made and instead he is such a complete asshole that he fucks it up. Amazing!

A least he's acknowledging he has a problem and is taking steps to get better. He could have been really ignorant and tried to fight those wanting to help him. Hopefully he gets his head right and can get what was shaping up to be a great career back on track.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was my understanding that they removed the weights from California prisons a few years ago. Is that not true?

Pete Wilson removed weight training equipment from Contra Costa & Los Angeles counties in the 90s, and added statewide limits on how much inmates could lift, but there was never a statewide ban. Aldon can still work out.

notmyfault

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad you were talking about Cali prison. Im from the east coast so they still have it here. I dont know if Cali has different rules.

You were not entirely wrong.

In 1996, an amendment to an appropriations bill expressly prohibited the federal Bureau of Prisons from purchasing "training equipment for boxing, wrestling, judo, karate, or other martial art, or any bodybuilding or weightlifting equipment of any sort." Many states, including California, made the same decision, either by statute or policy. These days, whatever free weights you'd still find in U.S. prisons are decades old. (These are often chained to the walls, to deter thieves and prevent inmates from beating each other with barbells.)

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, alcohol can completely change someone's behavior. Except for owning illegal guns, Aldon's crimes have been alcohol related. Hopefully after he gets out of rehab he will remember that he & alcohol don't mix right, and will stay away from it.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A least he's acknowledging he has a problem and is taking steps to get better. He could have been really ignorant and tried to fight those wanting to help him. Hopefully he gets his head right and can get what was shaping up to be a great career back on track.

I don't see how. I don't think the team gave him an option. But I hope he does recover.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised by this since I mentioned in the other thread that it's possible Aldon doesn't play this season. We're dealing with a rehabilitation for a substance abuse, which is something I said that you can not put a timetable for. Although this hasn't been reported, I'm guessing a preliminary assessment was given to the medical staff and the outlook wasn't as good as the coaching staff had hoped it would be.

Aldon's problems, as mentioned in the ESPN article, are obviously deep rooted and that can kind of addiction will take time to recover from. Nonetheless, here's hoping to a thorough recover for the 24 year old who has his life ahead of him, not just what he does for a living.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see how. I don't think the team gave him an option. But I hope he does recover.

I'm sure there are countless examples of people not being given an option about getting help by employers and/or family and they still refuse. If he refused the Niners, what were they going to do? Aldon had the union behind him if the team tried anything.

If we cut him, someone would pick him up pretty quickly (prior to the gun charges).