• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers dont expect Aldon back this season

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And part of next season

San Francisco 49ers not counting on Aldon Smith to return this season, sources say - ESPN

The San Francisco 49ers are not counting on star linebacker Aldon Smith to return to the team this season, team sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Smith is on an indefinite leave of absence from the defending NFC champion 49ers while undergoing treatment for substance abuse at an in-patient facility following a DUI arrest Sept. 20.

The 24-year-old Smith also is facing three felony charges of illegal possession of an assault weapon in a case stemming from a 2012 party at his home.

The 49ers believe Smith's issues run deep, sources told ESPN, and that the Pro Bowler has plenty of work to do on turning around his life before anyone can think about him returning to the football field.

The Niners hope Smith will benefit from that all the help he is receiving in the rehab facility and that he ultimately can salvage not only his career, but his life.

Even if Smith does return to San Francisco this season, the 49ers know how tenuous the situation is. Smith is one strike away from a year-long suspension.

Smith, who set a franchise record with 19.5 sacks last season, is on the reserve non-football injury list while in rehab, and there is no NFL minimum for number of games he must miss while on the list.

Niners coach Jim Harbaugh would not say Wednesday whether he anticipates Smith returning to the team this season.

Smith is likely to face a suspension from the NFL, perhaps pushed back to next season or after his legal issues are resolved.

Smith, selected seventh overall in the 2011 draft out of Missouri, had previously been arrested on suspicion of DUI in January 2012 in Miami shortly after the 49ers lost in the NFC title game.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh well. Kyle Van Noy, we need you.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why we should make a trade or sign Seymour.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well from a football angle I'm disappointed but from the human angle I'm at least glad he's in rehab getting treatment and working on getting his life together assuming his serious about changing.

A lot of guys especially in his situation think they have it all together and there isn't a problem but before they know it everything has fallen apart around them.

I believe he winds up missing this season and gets suspended 2-4 games into next season and be back.

What Goodell does with the suspension will be the interesting part because he could go light on the suspension with the reasoning that Aldon essentially "suspended" himself by removing himself from the game to get treatment and there being an element of time served or he could factor none of that in and suspend him like anyone else.

I tend to think he might lean on going with a light suspension because if I'm the NFL I don't want my players to get in trouble but at the very least I want to see them actively get help so they stay out of trouble. So the message I would want to send players is "Get the help you need and we won't hit you with the double whammy of missing time to rehab and dropping the hammer on you with a suspension."

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no way he misses the whole season and gets suspended for 2-4 games.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this honestly puts my realistic Super Bowl goal down several knotches.....

We need an elite pass rusher from the OLB n sh*t hits the fan... fuck....

maybe we should steal a pass rusher rather than a WR by the trading deadline?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well at least we drafted Lemonier.

I mean he's no Aldon Smith but he's much better than what we had last season as depth at the position.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
this honestly puts my realistic Super Bowl goal down several knotches.....

We need an elite pass rusher from the OLB n sh*t hits the fan... fuck....

maybe we should steal a pass rusher rather than a WR by the trading deadline?

Any pass rusher that can be had at this point isn't going to make a huge impact IMO. Aldon is the best player on the team. I don't think the Niners have much of a chance without him.

Lemonier has to step up & provide a pass rush. I've been his biggest fan, but even I know he's no Aldon Smith.

If Carradine comes out of the blocks & is amazing right away, I might feel differently. But at this point I don't see any way the Niners compete with Seattle without Aldon. :mad2:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any pass rusher that can be had at this point isn't going to make a huge impact IMO. Aldon is the best player on the team. I don't think the Niners have much of a chance without him.

Lemonier has to step up & provide a pass rush. I've been his biggest fan, but even I know he's no Aldon Smith.

If Carradine comes out of the blocks & is amazing right away, I might feel differently. But at this point I don't see any way the Niners compete with Seattle without Aldon. :mad2:

I have to go through the teams depth to think of a GM chair proposal or idea cuz its still early unless we're talking about the giants taking either Tuck or JPP which is unlikely...

I too am a fan of Lemonade but we all agree that he's no ALdon and doesn't have the strength yet... speed is there IMO but he needs the bulk.

Carradine is the biggest card we have in terms of a pass rush addition but its better to hold expectations at a mininum... we need to see how his knee or leg responds after such a long lay off....

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will come down to tank and what he can do. I agree this hurts our Superbowl chances and I think we should sign Seymour or trade for an OLB.

Hope Tank plays like a beast when he plays.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

At best I think Carradine rotates in and really won't get going towards the end of the season.

Fangio and the coaches in general are allergic to rookies so I would be surprised if he plays a major factor this season.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It will come down to tank and what he can do. I agree this hurts our Superbowl chances and I think we should sign Seymour or trade for an OLB.

Like Sick said there really isn't any OLB that's available that would be worth trading for.

Teams with quality pass rushers simply don't trade them away since they are such a valuable commodity.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well when Willis comes back then we can use Bowman in different spots. I think Bowman is a beast. He can help fill the void.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was expecting maybe 2 months, then possibly 4 game suspension to start next year. hopefully he can get himself cleaned up and ready to go for the playoffs.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm guessing the Niners don't expect him back because he'll be incarcerated. The rough thing is that they no longer let inmates lift weights any more. And prison food isn't exactly an NFL athlete's diet. He could lose some muscle mass.

Maybe they'll let him serve his time in rehab. I don't know.

His arraignment is November 4th. Let's hope they have a plea bargain arranged by then.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing the Niners don't expect him back because he'll be incarcerated. The rough thing is that they no longer let inmates lift weights any more. And prison food isn't exactly an NFL athlete's diet. He could lose some muscle mass.

Maybe they'll let him serve his time in rehab. I don't know.

His arraignment is November 4th. Let's hope they have a plea bargain arranged by then.
I'm thinking he will stay in rehab until his arraignment. At the start of this whole mess I had him missing four to five games this season and a suspension next season....I was wrong.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said they cant lift weights? That is a lie.