• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers a finalist for Manning

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
but players rarely restructure unless you give them more future money.

off hand, i can only thing of elite QB's with HUGE contracts, restructuring for same or less?

No, players usually restructure when you take their future money and make it their now money.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't even know if Condon has an idea where Manning is going. I believe the parameters of a contract is done with all 3 teams and it's just up to Manning to choose where he wants to go.

Smith is just doing the smart thing and taking care of himself and working getting the leg work started just in case we do sign Manning.

I don't take Smith looking around as an indication we're going to land Manning or that we're favorites too.

Exactly...this is up to Manning to make his choice and Alex is, smartly, preparing for what might happen, nothing to be taken either way.

Manning is apparently keeping even his closest circle of friends out of the loop, playing very close to the chest which is smart.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
According to La Canfora Peyton is dealing directly with team officials and hasn't given them a timetable for a decision.

Sounds like he's still asking questions and gathering information and really hasn't decided on where to go yet.

If you want to spin this as positive for us Peyton hasn't been to our facilities and as far as we know has only met with Harbaugh and Roman so if he's on a fact finding mission it's most likely us he would inquire most about.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I've read this morning and my own assumptions about some of the "facts" floating around, I'm coming close to the point in saying that I'm confident Manning will sign with us.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
From everything I've read this morning and my own assumptions about some of the "facts" floating around, I'm coming close to the point in saying that I'm confident Manning will sign with us.

The signs do look good but honestly it's hard to say where he'll go.

I would be surprised if he goes Denver though since I really don't see that as a spot more appealing than us or Titans.

I just think it comes down to how important that second championship is too him and nobody knows that except for him.

Clearly the fact we're still in it and a strong contender winning and getting that second championship means a lot to him. Because we're not offering more money, stock options, or any significance in terms of location.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks signed Flynn.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, players usually restructure when you take their future money and make it their now money.

no, he was talking about creating more cap space to sign more free agents.....now.

so are you making any sense above.........don't think so......

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
no, he was talking about creating more cap space to sign more free agents.....now.

so are you making any sense above.........don't think so......

I know what he's talking about. The most common way to restructure contracts to create cap space . . . . now . . . . is to find players with high base salaries, convert the base salary to signing bonus and pay them a league minimum base salary.

NFL players are paid weekly for 17 weeks. Let's say a player is due to get 6.8M in base salary in 2012 and is signed for another 4 years (2012, 13, 14 and 15). That means every week he will get 1/17th of that, or 400,000 per week.

If the league min for that player is 850 k, they will convert 5.95M to signing bonus and leave him at the league minimum for the 2012 season in base salary.

This means that instead of getting 17 weekly checks for 400k he gets 17 weekly checks for 50k, but he gets a big fat check on the spot for 5.95M.

He's converted future money into. . . . now money. If he gets cut under his original contract after week 3 he would have received 1.2M. Under the restructuring he would walk away with 6.05M. Sounds like a good deal for the player.

What about the team? Well, the player's cap number has gone from 6.8M to 2.3375M. So the team has saved roughly 4.5M in cap room.

How did they do this? By taking future money and making it "now" money.

Tell me again that I don't make sense.

Or maybe explain the NFL accounting behind your theory.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Because I know you are a fair poster, I'm not talking about you specifically. I think we will see a more aggressive game plan this year with Smith because everyone knows the offense better and players naturally get better until they peak. My point is that we need to see Smith with added progressions/regressions + cap room to sign others vs. Manning at 2012 with who we'll likely get. I think it's a pretty easy choice, but everyone keeps saying "we can't go on with a QB that xxx and ooo's" when those X and Os likely get better. Yes, he could regress, but I think it's unlikely. Just my opinion. We signed Moss and Manningham and Crabtree's older in a more familiar system. There's a liklihood that we are not comparing Manning 2010 with Smith 2011. I think Manning 2012 >>> Smith 2012, but the dramatics are a bit strained for some- again, not for you because I know you a little bit better than I know others (but still very little).

I would assume that Smith will improve. And he does have some upside. But the difference between a healthy Peyton Manning and Alex Smith is vast. That's not a knock on Smith, it's just the simple truth.

As for cap space, that might make a difference in the next few years. This year, the big-ticket guys are all gone anyway. We'll add the same players, most likely, regardless of who our QB is. I believe Manning with the current supporting cast, plus the draft, will be better for the offense than Smith with...well, whatever else we would get around him. We added Manningham since you made your post. Only other major weakness is RG, and we have a guy coming in for a visit in a day or two. On D, we're completely set and can draft for value to groom guys to replace those who may leave in the upcoming couple years without blowing big bucks on FAs. I think we're in great shape right now.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I totally disagree!

I think a "lifetime" contract is extremely enticing. In addition, they were the 2nd least sacked team in the entire league last year. Their head coach is an ex offensive lineman and their position coach is also a legend during his playing days. So they will only get better...coupled that with Peyton's quick release and you know they will not give up very little sacks in 2012.

Denver's D is a notch below OUR current D. They just need one or two more probowlers and they would be a quote on quote feared defense. They have more than capable receivers. Peyton would make my boy Eric Decker look amazing.

The thing that scares me with us in terms of why I am sh8tting on my pants and afraid that he won't select us is this issue: "oooh-I-don't-wanna-go-against-my-baby-brother-Eli"; STFU Peyton and man up! Also, if he's such a good guy he wants Condon to make his money - and what better way to do a long time friend/agent a favor is to allow him to make the most amount of $$ as possible during this process. If he signs someone else it would allowed Condon to keep his other client Alex Smith. Contract already on the table. If Peyton signs with us, Alex will be offered less money by another team. I may be overanalyzing this mess way too much so apologize in advance fellows for being the pessimist here. I can't even go to sleep...this Manning situation is embedded in my mind twenty-four seven. I'm stressed over this ordeal because I know how much it could change the dynamic of our organization in terms of us being feared once again at the same level we was once feared in the late 80s and early 90s. I'm just bracing myself for the potential bad news of him saying he's signing elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
but players rarely restructure unless you give them more future money.

off hand, i can only thing of elite QB's with HUGE contracts, restructuring for same or less?

Ginn took less money just last year. Haralson might, or we could cut him. It's possible we could restructure Willis in some way to help out the cap without killing us down the road.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh yeah, if we sign Peyton....we're going 16-0!!

Book it. You heard it here first.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 49ers have done a great job of keeping this on the downlow but I would say the one thing that makes me think the 49ers are #3 in this three-team race is that Manning has not visited the Niner facilities as he has with the other two teams.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ginn took less money just last year. Haralson might, or we could cut him. It's possible we could restructure Willis in some way to help out the cap without killing us down the road.

with manning it's a 3 year window. 3 years then blow it up and eat the dead money.

there's a few players we could pick up a million or two from, depends how much mr york wants to spend.

what better way to ring in the new stadium in 2014 (is it opening then?) then as the two time defending super bowl champions??

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers have done a great job of keeping this on the downlow but I would say the one thing that makes me think the 49ers are #3 in this three-team race is that Manning has not visited the Niner facilities as he has with the other two teams.

maybe we don't want him to see our facilities!