• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers a finalist for Manning

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ginn took less money just last year. Haralson might, or we could cut him. It's possible we could restructure Willis in some way to help out the cap without killing us down the road.

yeah, those who'll be cut might take a cut, but these aren't large amounts? how are you going to add "bigger" name FA's by restructuring a small contract?

what does the bolden mean, that Willis will restructure his contract without an increase? if so, why should he?

or does it mean he'll restructure with a future increase? if so, how does that help out the future cap? its still additional cap hit anyway you look at it?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I sure hope so.

When Kolb signed last year with the Cards, that signing placed no fear in my heart. I yawned and scrolled down to the next thread...

This signing however worries me...a lot! Especially if Sidney Rice is back healthy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I totally disagree!

I think a "lifetime" contract is extremely enticing. In addition, they were the 2nd least sacked team in the entire league last year. Their head coach is an ex offensive lineman and their position coach is also a legend during his playing days. So they will only get better...coupled that with Peyton's quick release and you know they will not give up very little sacks in 2012.

Denver's D is a notch below OUR current D. They just need one or two more probowlers and they would be a quote on quote feared defense. They have more than capable receivers. Peyton would make my boy Eric Decker look amazing.

The thing that scares me with us in terms of why I am sh8tting on my pants and afraid that he won't select us is this issue: "oooh-I-don't-wanna-go-against-my-baby-brother-Eli"; STFU Peyton and man up! Also, if he's such a good guy he wants Condon to make his money - and what better way to do a long time friend/agent a favor is to allow him to make the most amount of $$ as possible during this process. If he signs someone else it would allowed Condon to keep his other client Alex Smith. Contract already on the table. If Peyton signs with us, Alex will be offered less money by another team. I may be overanalyzing this mess way too much so apologize in advance fellows for being the pessimist here. I can't even go to sleep...this Manning situation is embedded in my mind twenty-four seven. I'm stressed over this ordeal because I know how much it could change the dynamic of our organization in terms of us being feared once again at the same level we was once feared in the late 80s and early 90s. I'm just bracing myself for the potential bad news of him saying he's signing elsewhere.

no doubt its extremely enticing!

as it is Peyton is near the end of his playing career, he can't help but consider setting up his family "for life".

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, those who'll be cut might take a cut, but these aren't large amounts? how are you going to add "bigger" name FA's by restructuring a small contract?

what does the bolden mean, that Willis will restructure his contract without an increase? if so, why should he?

or does it mean he'll restructure with a future increase? if so, how does that help out the future cap? its still additional cap hit anyway you look at it?

u basically give them a signing bonus instead of salary and extend the contract. essentially the salary they were gonna get, most of it is now pro-rated over the length of the contract.

if they dont want it, jimmy falloon will take it

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
with manning it's a 3 year window. 3 years then blow it up and eat the dead money.

there's a few players we could pick up a million or two from, depends how much mr york wants to spend.

what better way to ring in the new stadium in 2014 (is it opening then?) then as the two time defending super bowl champions??

I seriously doubt we sign him to a contract that will force us to start from scratch three years from now. We may not be big players in FA, but I bet we continue to have strong drafts and make smart, calculated decisions. Baalke has not given any reason to believe that he would destroy the franchise to take a longshot. Not to mention that many teams throughout the league have found ways to keep their highly paid QBs without blowing up the entire roster.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
u basically give them a signing bonus instead of salary and extend the contract. essentially the salary they were gonna get, most of it is now pro-rated over the length of the contract.

if they dont want it, jimmy falloon will take it

most times that big base near the end is fluff.

for example, what if we had turned more Clements money from base to guaranteed?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Imac already addressed this. Guys restructure to help the team out. They don't get any less money, they just free the team up to add more talent. That appeals to lots of guys, especially team leaders.

As for adding bigger name FAs, we're past that point by now anyway. And frankly, I don't think we need to with Manning at QB. We can add solid players who come at a reasonable price.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The 49ers have done a great job of keeping this on the downlow but I would say the one thing that makes me think the 49ers are #3 in this three-team race is that Manning has not visited the Niner facilities as he has with the other two teams.

If the rumors are true than Peyton came to us and not the other way around.

The other teams needed to grovel and sell Peyton on their respective teams and we didn't.

Our pitch was simply "This is what we're about, we give you the best odds of winning a SB, and we'll give you a contract that you're looking for. So if you want in than give us a call"

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I seriously doubt we sign him to a contract that will force us to start from scratch three years from now. We may not be big players in FA, but I bet we continue to have strong drafts and make smart, calculated decisions. Baalke has not given any reason to believe that he would destroy the franchise to take a longshot. Not to mention that many teams throughout the league have found ways to keep their highly paid QBs without blowing up the entire roster.

yeah, as long as the drafts remain good we'll be fine. but we'll also be drafting at the tail end of every round, every draft. so our expectations of a good draft class needs adjusting.

are you really expecting "strong drafts" from here on? relative to the NFL or to our draft slot?

Harbaugh will continue to develop his next QB, Manning or no Manning.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most times that big base near the end is fluff.

for example, what if we had turned more Clements money from base to guaranteed?

the fluff doesnt matter because the player will most likely be cut or restructured later if we wanna keep him.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the fluff doesnt matter because the player will most likely be cut or restructured later if we wanna keep him.

whaaa?

you said convert future base to a signing bonus to create space now, once you do this its guaranteed a cap hit down the road. so you can't restructure base to signing bonus, then say it doesn't matter? cause whether the player is cut or not, his signing bonus impacts the cap.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, as long as the drafts remain good we'll be fine. but we'll also be drafting at the tail end of every round, every draft. so our expectations of a good draft class needs adjusting.

are you really expecting "strong drafts" from here on? relative to the NFL or to our draft slot?

I don't really feel inclined to discuss "strong drafts" with you Deep, as you have little perspective when it comes to the quality of drafts. Obviously we have to factor in where we are picking in terms of expectations, but good players can be found at most positions in the late-first. Two drafts in, Baalke has done a good job. We aren't likely to draft the runner-up for DROY any time soon, but we shouldn't need to.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

That's it deep, you just ignore my explanation.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You always talk about the advantage of drafting early throughout the draft. It ultimately affects two picks: the first for the bad team and last for the good team.

If you truly feel like drafting at the end of the first round greatly hurts our ability to find talent, then you can't focus beyond the first round. Our first round pick comes before Indy's second. If Indy can expect to add quality players in the second and third rounds because they draft so early in those rounds then we can certainly expect to add talent in the first and second.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I totally disagree!

I think a "lifetime" contract is extremely enticing. In addition, they were the 2nd least sacked team in the entire league last year. Their head coach is an ex offensive lineman and their position coach is also a legend during his playing days. So they will only get better...coupled that with Peyton's quick release and you know they will not give up very little sacks in 2012.

Denver's D is a notch below OUR current D. They just need one or two more probowlers and they would be a quote on quote feared defense. They have more than capable receivers. Peyton would make my boy Eric Decker look amazing.

The thing that scares me with us in terms of why I am sh8tting on my pants and afraid that he won't select us is this issue: "oooh-I-don't-wanna-go-against-my-baby-brother-Eli"; STFU Peyton and man up! Also, if he's such a good guy he wants Condon to make his money - and what better way to do a long time friend/agent a favor is to allow him to make the most amount of $$ as possible during this process. If he signs someone else it would allowed Condon to keep his other client Alex Smith. Contract already on the table. If Peyton signs with us, Alex will be offered less money by another team. I may be overanalyzing this mess way too much so apologize in advance fellows for being the pessimist here. I can't even go to sleep...this Manning situation is embedded in my mind twenty-four seven. I'm stressed over this ordeal because I know how much it could change the dynamic of our organization in terms of us being feared once again at the same level we was once feared in the late 80s and early 90s. I'm just bracing myself for the potential bad news of him saying he's signing elsewhere.

In terms of overall talent only Denver isn't anywhere close to us and Tennessee is somewhere in the middle.

Despite going 9-7 Tennessee lost to every team that made to the playoffs except for Houston in week 17 in a game Houston was starting TJ Yates and I believe at that point didn't have anything to play for (can't remember if they were out of the 2nd seed hunt at that point or not)

Denver went 8-8 but they're only win against a playoff team came against Cincinnati (and Pitt if you count the actual playoffs)

We went 13-3, beat 4 playoff teams during the season, lost to 1, and none of our loses were close to being blowouts.

So could he win with Denver or Tennessee?

Of course, but his dilemma is he's looking about a 3 year window to do so.

With Tennessee and Denver insert him into the roster and they're looking at being playoff contenders with low to average odds of just making it to the SB this season. Even if by some odd chance they make it to the SB could you really see them having great odds against the NFC team that makes it?

Insert him to the 49ers roster and we're not just playoff contenders but strong SB favorites and would be for that 3 year window.

So we're pretty much offering him a guaranteed good chance at the SB right now compared to if the right moves are made and with luck we could get there in a year or two with Tennessee and Denver.

As I've said before this is going to come down to how important that championship is to him. If that's his primary goal and main purpose right now than I would like to think we're the favorites.

If all the other things have importance to him than I would think the Titans are the favorites.

The fact we're even still in this means winning and the championship is still important to him it's just a question of how much?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You always talk about the advantage of drafting early throughout the draft. It ultimately affects two picks: the first for the bad team and last for the good team.

If you truly feel like drafting at the end of the first round greatly hurts our ability to find talent, then you can't focus beyond the first round. Our first round pick comes before Indy's second. If Indy can expect to add quality players in the second and third rounds because they draft so early in those rounds then we can certainly expect to add talent in the first and second.

Percisely. I was going to make a post about this, but people really need to look at it as the 3oth pick v. the 33rd pick, not rounds. Pay is a factor obviously, perception is too, and sometimes the next round is the next day when you have more time to reflect (making the next round picks better perhaps). But having said that, we go through months of preparation, the night sleep shouldn't affect it that much if we have a BPA strategy with our big board. Plus, if our guy is there, perception and price are secondary to selection.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Imac already addressed this. Guys restructure to help the team out. They don't get any less money, they just free the team up to add more talent. That appeals to lots of guys, especially team leaders.

As for adding bigger name FAs, we're past that point by now anyway. And frankly, I don't think we need to with Manning at QB. We can add solid players who come at a reasonable price.

no he didn't, he said restructuring is to bring more money up front.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
no he didn't, he said restructuring is to bring more money up front.

If that's what I said, that's what it is.

Teams re-structure and convert base salary to signing bonus. That's more cash immediately, but less of a cap hit.

I explained it all in the post you ignored.

But what teams do is take money that a player was scheduled to receive in September, October, November and December and give it to him in March (or whenever the restructure occurs).

If that's not taking future money for the player and giving it to him immediately. I don't know what is.

But you can go ahead and pretend to know what you're talking about.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

anything short of a championship with manning is a complete failure. manning has about 3 years tops. when manning is done, we rebuild with a new qb. one year isn't destroying a franchise, especially when it'll take a new qb a year anyways at the very least.