• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4-3 Thoughts

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. This team could easily be 5-2, or 6-1 if the defense had a clue.

2. Teryl Austin is in WAY over his head. He is taking the strength of this defense (DL) and completely negating it with his "schemes". Next time the Bengals show blitz, look at how far the CB's are off the WR. The quick slant, out, screen, etc...is wide open to negate the blitz, and the DL. Zone does not work for this defense, but that is the majority, it seems, of what he calls. How many times did we see McRae matched up with Tyrek Hill instead of Jackson. Why in the world would Hill EVER line up outside of the slot when the Bengals will consistently use a 5-6th string CB to cover one of the fastest WR in the NFL, and KC's best? On his last TD, Shawn Williams was the only guy within 15 yards of him. I'd say it was a blown coverage, but there's very little doubt Austin expected a slower footed Safety to run with Hill in coverage.

3. It is time to move on from Burfict. The antics are old, but when you are a top 5 LB, you tend to put up with stuff. He's not top 5. He's not top 15. I'd argue he's been one of the worst LB's I've seen play this year, and I don't mean just NFL. I've watched H.S. kids wrap up and tackle better than him. This isn't limited to just him, but he's a guy that stands out for a lot of reasons (good and bad), but mostly this year has just been bad.

4. I don't know if I can't trust PFF anymore. They had a rating out that showed Dre Kirkpatrick was actually doing a really good job on defense. These guys have a great system, but sometimes all you need is the eyeball test. As Marvin loves to say, I see better than I hear...I've see Dre get beat like a drum. Often. Don't give me comp% stats or anything else...he's has been absolutely terrible.

5. Redmond is garbage. The fact that Westerman can't get a sniff reeks of more coaching arrogance. There aren't any fixes this year, but a F/A OL has to be in the works if this offense ever wants to take the next step. Dalton and Mixon have been pretty damned good this year behind one of the worst OL in the NFL. This is a theme that has carried over from year to year, coach to coach, coordinator to coordinator, which leads me to my final point...

6. The only constant in all of this is Marvin Lewis. I know this is preaching to the choir, but it is the ONLY theme that remains constant with this team consistently having the same issues over and over and over. Players change, coaches change, things remain the same because it all starts and end with Lewis. When the Bengals win, they win in spite of Lewis. Not because of him. They win because Good/Great Andy shows up and the defense (historically) carries the team. But in games where they need to take that next step, to be held accountable (Pitt every year, KC last night, playoff, etc)...A coach should be helping his players exploit their strengths, and minimize their weakness. Lewis can't even manage the game clock, much less any of that.

Thank God, it is college basketball season!

Last edited:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually surprised by how 'tough' this team can look when they play in division and how meek they look out of division. It looked like they were scared to tackle yesterday. That looked like a 90s Bengal team out there on D.

Does anyone still want to argue that letting Sanu and Jones go was the right move? You can give me all you want about Boyd. He's had a nice year. But you need several good receivers in this league. With Eifert and Gio out, there is just not much for Dalton to do. Particularly when he has an OC that refuses to pound the run against a team that can't defend it.

I couldn't agree more about the schemes..... Not only does it looked flawed - Players are out of position. Particularly on 3rd down.

I'm not sure what to make of Burfict. It seems like he really can't play by the rules. Whenever he tries to obey the rules, he plays like a pansy. I also don't think he likes the new scheme. I bet if he were to ship up to Minnesota, Zimmer would have him as an all-pro.

What's sad is that this was a game that everyone knew you had to score points.... And that's the best our offense could do.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SJxAs64.png

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually surprised by how 'tough' this team can look when they play in division and how meek they look out of division. It looked like they were scared to tackle yesterday. That looked like a 90s Bengal team out there on D.

Does anyone still want to argue that letting Sanu and Jones go was the right move? You can give me all you want about Boyd. He's had a nice year. But you need several good receivers in this league. With Eifert and Gio out, there is just not much for Dalton to do. Particularly when he has an OC that refuses to pound the run against a team that can't defend it.

I couldn't agree more about the schemes..... Not only does it looked flawed - Players are out of position. Particularly on 3rd down.

I'm not sure what to make of Burfict. It seems like he really can't play by the rules. Whenever he tries to obey the rules, he plays like a pansy. I also don't think he likes the new scheme. I bet if he were to ship up to Minnesota, Zimmer would have him as an all-pro.

What's sad is that this was a game that everyone knew you had to score points.... And that's the best our offense could do.

Only one note: Sanu was allowed to walk, but Jones chose to leave. I think Boyd is pretty much Sanu, but they miss a legit outside threat they had in Jones. Ross is not that threat.

The money from the Bengals and what Jones got in Detroit was pretty much the same. He wanted the chance to be a #1 WR, and said as much in an interview after he left. He knew with AJ here, he was never going to be the top guy, and that is what he wanted. Hard to fault the Bengals on this one (for once). They gave him a good offer, he just wanted to be the top dog.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my new favorite Marvin pic.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only one note: Sanu was allowed to walk, but Jones chose to leave. I think Boyd is pretty much Sanu, but they miss a legit outside threat they had in Jones. Ross is not that threat.

The money from the Bengals and what Jones got in Detroit was pretty much the same. He wanted the chance to be a #1 WR, and said as much in an interview after he left. He knew with AJ here, he was never going to be the top guy, and that is what he wanted. Hard to fault the Bengals on this one (for once). They gave him a good offer, he just wanted to be the top dog.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The Bengals have had a lot of luck signing guys the year before they are due for a big deal. I think if they had higher value on Jones, they could have easily signed him before the 2015 season.... He was playing on a 6th round draft picks deal. He would have definitely taken an early payday. And if not him, then Sanu. I think Sanu was just coming into his own on his way out the door.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The Bengals have had a lot of luck signing guys the year before they are due for a big deal. I think if they had higher value on Jones, they could have easily signed him before the 2015 season.... He was playing on a 6th round draft picks deal. He would have definitely taken an early payday. And if not him, then Sanu. I think Sanu was just coming into his own on his way out the door.

I get what you are saying, but when a guy says "I want to be a #1", and he states that as the reason why he left...there's really not a lot of wiggle room there to try and spin that against the Bengals.

Look, they made some really poor decisions with regards to F/A's walking, there's no doubt. But if a guy says "the money was there, but I wanted to be a #1"...I mean, unless you are going to willingly over pay to try and keep him...not much else to do.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying, but when a guy says "I want to be a #1", and he states that as the reason why he left...there's really not a lot of wiggle room there to try and spin that against the Bengals.

Look, they made some really poor decisions with regards to F/A's walking, there's no doubt. But if a guy says "the money was there, but I wanted to be a #1"...I mean, unless you are going to willingly over pay to try and keep him...not much else to do.

The issue is that the money is equivalent. That's why we only succeed when we sign early.... That's how we've held onto Atkins twice. And that's how we held onto Dunlap twice. Can you imagine the nonsense contract Atkins would have earned the first time he came up for FA if we ever let him get there?

Honestly, with Jones and Sanu, I think they got a little arrogant. Lewis's Bengals have had a nice track record of developing receivers. Johnson, Housh, Henry, Green (he was going to be good wherever he went, but still), Jones, Sanu, Baby Hawk.....I think they figured 2nd wideout was a position that can be filled. But I don't think that offense has been the same without those guys.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in love with that picture of Marvin.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our WR's are not the issue. Losing Eifert hurt, and yes, it would be nice to have some more weapons, but with the way our offense has put up points despite a crappy oline, our issue is not the WR core.

We need to fix the defense in a damn hurry, and the 1st course of action is as Cincy said. You do not blitz with your DB's playing 10 yards off the WR's to negate the blitz. William Jackson is one of the best press coverage CB's in the NFL and we have him playing a deep zone on guys too often. Not all the time, but still too often. He should be blanketing the opposing teams #1 WR all over the field.

We need to start tackling better, plain and simple. We need to start punching ball carriers. Stop trying to grab the ball and run down the field an additional 5 to 10 yards with the ball carrier, but rather wrap with one arm and just start flailing with the other. Start landing body blows and trying to punch that ball lose.

If you grab a guys arm, or grab at the ball, he tightens up, and he grabs on with both arms and that is that. You need to surprise the son of a bitch, kinda like a helmet blow to the ball of the ball carrier. They are not expecting it, it pops out easier. Grab with one arm so you have a grasp of him and then throw two quick haymakers on or near that ball (if you hit him in the balls, oh well). If you do not get it in 2 punches, you grab him by the knee and you twist and throw him down. That may be enough to scare the ball carrier about the health of his knee that he may loosen his grip of the ball.

Grab, PUNCH, PUNCH, Wrap, Twist Knee/Ankles

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a blessing in disguise with all the Cincinnati teams coming back down to Earth. Don't even have to be invested now. I'm way overdue for a internet break.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our WR's are not the issue. Losing Eifert hurt, and yes, it would be nice to have some more weapons, but with the way our offense has put up points despite a crappy oline, our issue is not the WR core.

We need to fix the defense in a damn hurry, and the 1st course of action is as Cincy said. You do not blitz with your DB's playing 10 yards off the WR's to negate the blitz. William Jackson is one of the best press coverage CB's in the NFL and we have him playing a deep zone on guys too often. Not all the time, but still too often. He should be blanketing the opposing teams #1 WR all over the field.

We need to start tackling better, plain and simple. We need to start punching ball carriers. Stop trying to grab the ball and run down the field an additional 5 to 10 yards with the ball carrier, but rather wrap with one arm and just start flailing with the other. Start landing body blows and trying to punch that ball lose.

If you grab a guys arm, or grab at the ball, he tightens up, and he grabs on with both arms and that is that. You need to surprise the son of a bitch, kinda like a helmet blow to the ball of the ball carrier. They are not expecting it, it pops out easier. Grab with one arm so you have a grasp of him and then throw two quick haymakers on or near that ball (if you hit him in the balls, oh well). If you do not get it in 2 punches, you grab him by the knee and you twist and throw him down. That may be enough to scare the ball carrier about the health of his knee that he may loosen his grip of the ball.

Grab, PUNCH, PUNCH, Wrap, Twist Knee/Ankles

OFC...Eifert is one of the best pass catching TEs in the league so missing him is a big deal, but with Boyd emerging as a legit WR2, AJ, both RBs, and Uzmoah...the Bengals still have enough firepower on OFC. When they are behind and facing some legit edge rushers...the OL is showing they're not quite elite.

DEF...I still think the front 4 is one of the best in the AFC, and solid at LB and backend...I expected better than 28th.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OFC...Eifert is one of the best pass catching TEs in the league so missing him is a big deal, but with Boyd emerging as a legit WR2, AJ, both RBs, and Uzmoah...the Bengals still have enough firepower on OFC. When they are behind and facing some legit edge rushers...the OL is showing they're not quite elite.

DEF...I still think the front 4 is one of the best in the AFC, and solid at LB and backend...I expected better than 28th.

The OL has played well enough. A ton of credit goes to Lazor, Dalton, and Mixon for getting it done, though.

The DL is still a strength, but (IMO) the issue is the play calling/scheme. It completely goes against what the strength of this team is, and some of it is completely nonsense. You can't bring an all-out blitz, and then have your DB's 8-12 yards off the WR. I can't tell you how often I have seen that this year. The DB's are better in man/press coverage yet a ton of zone is being called. Our LB's can't cover dirt, let alone a TE or WR...again, those quick holes are found and negate the rushes of our DL.

I will say this...I'd love to see Lawson develop something outside of just his speed rush/duck. He needs to have more faith in his ability to fake outside rush, and cut inside. From what I have seen, he's become very predictable in his approach and it is hurting him.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
117 points in the first 14 quarters with Eifert. 67 points in the 14 quarters since he's been out.

If you think receiver isn't an issue for this team, you have lost your mind.

Yes the defense sucks. But offense is also a major issue. They haven't been good at all against three crappy defensive teams (Miami, Pitt, and KC). Against the Chiefs, they managed 10 points..... Even the Jaguars, who are completely inept offensively scored more against them.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An offense averaging 29 points a game, prior to the Chiefs game should be in a good position to win, if the defense can manage not to give up so many points. Once again, defense is our issue, not WR.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An offense averaging 29 points a game, prior to the Chiefs game should be in a good position to win, if the defense can manage not to give up so many points. Once again, defense is our issue, not WR.

I just provided the numbers for you. What are you missing here? Against Miami, we scored 14 of our points on D. We did not do enough offensively against Pittsburgh and we didn't do anything against the Chiefs. The offense has averaged 14 points over our last 3 games - The first three games we haven't had Eifert.

Defense is certainly our issue. As is wide receiver. It's a problem that I'm sure you will recognize by the end of the season.

Ickey Shuffle

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew getting a coordinator from Detroit would be a bad idea. I think this zone scheme gave me a aneurysm. Did Marvin realize Detroit NEVER plays defense since like forever? Of course he didn't.