• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4-3 Thoughts

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just provided the numbers for you. What are you missing here? Against Miami, we scored 14 of our points on D. We did not do enough offensively against Pittsburgh and we didn't do anything against the Chiefs. The offense has averaged 14 points over our last 3 games - The first three games we haven't had Eifert.

Defense is certainly our issue. As is wide receiver. It's a problem that I'm sure you will recognize by the end of the season.

I saw the numbers. I can see what you are saying. What I am saying is this....when we did well in 2015 or those Zimmer years, we had a defense that would give up on average under 20 points.

So regardless of how we are scoring our points, you know how we are getting scored on. The defense needs to step up. Eifert didn't exactly light the world on fire his first several games before injury. He was a mismatch, but it isn't like we were taking advantage of it even then. It is easier to win when you score more points than your opponent. I am good with an offense not quite as good as it started off as long as we have a defense that can actually stop someone. Ranked 28TH! When was the last time our defense was ranked 28th?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the numbers. I can see what you are saying. What I am saying is this....when we did well in 2015 or those Zimmer years, we had a defense that would give up on average under 20 points.

So regardless of how we are scoring our points, you know how we are getting scored on. The defense needs to step up. Eifert didn't exactly light the world on fire his first several games before injury. He was a mismatch, but it isn't like we were taking advantage of it even then. It is easier to win when you score more points than your opponent. I am good with an offense not quite as good as it started off as long as we have a defense that can actually stop someone. Ranked 28TH! When was the last time our defense was ranked 28th?

We were also a top 10 scoring offense in 2015 - Even with Dalton out for a 1/4 of the season. We were a top 6 scoring offense in 2013. Yes, Zimmer had good D, but we also scored points. The one year we were down was 2014 - Eifert was out the whole year, AJ Green missed a bunch of games and Marvin Jones was out the whole year. It's pretty clear to me that when Dalton has had multiple weapons, he has delivered top 10 offenses. I am of the opinion that we don't currently have enough weapons - And I think you will be by the end of the year.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I n
We were also a top 10 scoring offense in 2015 - Even with Dalton out for a 1/4 of the season. We were a top 6 scoring offense in 2013. Yes, Zimmer had good D, but we also scored points. The one year we were down was 2014 - Eifert was out the whole year, AJ Green missed a bunch of games and Marvin Jones was out the whole year. It's pretty clear to me that when Dalton has had multiple weapons, he has delivered top 10 offenses. I am of the opinion that we don't currently have enough weapons - And I think you will be by the end of the year.

I never said we had enough weapons. I said our offense is decent enough even without Eifert to win games as long as the defense can do better than they have where they are ranked 28th. Only thing going to save us is our defense, because if the offense has to put up 30 to win, we are in trouble the second we have to play another team with a good defense.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure Dalton and company will run up some good stats against the choppy teams.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing...

How does this defense get better? I just don't see it. I think Austin is in way over his head. His schemes/ideas don't mesh with the personnel on the field, and that is a major issue. It doesn't help the LB corp continues to be weak in pass coverage (and tackling, apparently) and the secondary hasn't been great, especially on 3rd downs and now with injuries. Outside of a major revelation by Austin that he needs to change his approach, the defense is exactly what it is...out schemed every week unless they can get lucky enough with a few turnovers to keep it close enough for the offense.

Offensively, the tape is out, and injuries have killed. KC blitzed only 2 times. They dropped double teams on both Green and Boyd, and single covered everyone else. Injuries at WR/TE have killed this teams ability to create mismatches like they did early on.

A lot of multiple TE formations early in the year cannot be used now as they are down to just Uzomah. TE usage in the first 4 games resulted in 20% of targets. Last 3 games, just 13%. With no threat in the middle, teams are going to consistently double Boyd and Green. Why wouldn't they?

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they'll finally find a TE that is more dependable before next season... nah.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing...

How does this defense get better? I just don't see it. I think Austin is in way over his head. His schemes/ideas don't mesh with the personnel on the field, and that is a major issue. It doesn't help the LB corp continues to be weak in pass coverage (and tackling, apparently) and the secondary hasn't been great, especially on 3rd downs and now with injuries. Outside of a major revelation by Austin that he needs to change his approach, the defense is exactly what it is...out schemed every week unless they can get lucky enough with a few turnovers to keep it close enough for the offense.

Offensively, the tape is out, and injuries have killed. KC blitzed only 2 times. They dropped double teams on both Green and Boyd, and single covered everyone else. Injuries at WR/TE have killed this teams ability to create mismatches like they did early on.

A lot of multiple TE formations early in the year cannot be used now as they are down to just Uzomah. TE usage in the first 4 games resulted in 20% of targets. Last 3 games, just 13%. With no threat in the middle, teams are going to consistently double Boyd and Green. Why wouldn't they?

You nailed it. The tape is out on the offense and they are limited. Lazor is talented - He'll get by with some smoke and mirrors, but there is not enough talent to be consistent. Injuries hurt.... But so does the talent drain over the past 5 years.

As for the D..... That's the side of the ball that hasn't faced a talent drain. It's all on coaching. It's hard for me to believe that a good coach wouldn't get something out of this unit. You have an all-world DT, an all-pro D-end, high round picks across the secondary and several linebackers with years of experience.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the D..... That's the side of the ball that hasn't faced a talent drain. It's all on coaching. It's hard for me to believe that a good coach wouldn't get something out of this unit. You have an all-world DT, an all-pro D-end, high round picks across the secondary and several linebackers with years of experience.

There’s no excuses for this. All on coaching. Austin is a shitty coordinator, but it’s not all on him. Defense is supposed to be Marvin’s bread and butter. According to the ballwashers he’s the architect of maybe the greatest defense of all-time. He’s been here 15 years and hasn’t found one LB worth a shit outside of Burfict. I’ve never seen a team invest so much premium draft capital in the secondary, and still not be able to cover anyone..

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no excuses for this. All on coaching. Austin is a shitty coordinator, but it’s not all on him. Defense is supposed to be Marvin’s bread and butter. According to the ballwashers he’s the architect of maybe the greatest defense of all-time. He’s been here 15 years and hasn’t found one LB worth a shit outside of Burfict. I’ve never seen a team invest so much premium draft capital in the secondary, and still not be able to cover anyone..

Spikes and Simmons were a good combo.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's fun to see you guys discuss Teryl Austin. There were a few posters on the Lions board who loves him so much they wanted him to be our HC (not me).

He obviously looked best when Suh played for him.

Be Weary of Query

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Keith Rivers was...oops
PJ Dawson was...hmmmm
Shawn Porter was able to...yeah...
Donaty Moch was going to revolutionize the position...about that...
Roddrick Muckleroy was going to be a glue guy that could fill in...well...okay...
Rey Maualuga...I guess had a decent rookie year...then...
A.J. Nicholson just had to not get into trouble...oh...
Ahmad Brooks did great...for the 49ers
David Pollack...snapped stack of dimes...part of the ex-Bengal broadcasting fraternity...
Odell Thurman...what could have been...
Landon Johnson...serviceable? Part of the bloom on Marvin's rose in the early years. See also Miller, Caleb

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Khalid Abdulah and Marquis Flowers were two other "guys"

Odell Thurman and Vontaze Burfict were two of the better guys I've seen play the position when they were playing well. Burfict is Jeckyl and Hyde though.