• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3rd year coaching trends

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a guy on ESPN radio today during a sportscenter extra point segment talk about new college coaches needing 4-5 years to get everything going after they are hired and that isn't really the case anymore considering the trend over the last 10 years of BCS champions. Taking out Mack Brown it has taken an average of 2.6 years for coaches to win their first BCS title since 2000. The team's average record before those coaches got to their respective places was 6.7-5.1 (and that is adding in an 11-1 Miami team that Coker took over). Now I am not saying that Nebraska is going to win the national title but the trend says that it will either be a repeat champ or someone that is in his 2nd or 3rd year of coaching his team.

Here are a list of possible 2nd or 3rd year coaches that are at legitimate schools and their record before they got there.

2nd year:
Gene Chizik- Auburn- 5-7 Tough conference but right there
Chip Kelly- Oregon- 10-3 Great offense and down conference

3rd year:
Bobby Petrino- Arkansas- 8-5 They are in the mix this year
Paul Johnson- Georgia Tech- 7-6 They are out of it after losing to Kansas
Rich Rodriguez- Michigan- 9-4 With that QB they are in the mix
Bo Pelini- Nebraska- 5-7 Obviously in the mix
Mike Sherman- Texas A&M- 7-6 They are 3-0 but have lots of holes
Rick Neuheisel- UCLA- 6-7 They still suck
Houtson Nutt- Mississippi- 3-9 They are BAD
Bill Stewart- West Virginia- 11-2 They are in a bad conference

It will be interesting to see if the trend continues. Hopefully for one of the above teams it does continue. Not going to name which one I want to continue the trend but all I will say is that he is the 4th one on the 3rd year list. Not naming anyone in particular. ;)

Nobody else will probably find this interesting but I did so I decided to post it.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also belive Bo Pelini had a better first year than some of your hotter coaches now who took over down programs...

Saban, Stoops, Meyer,

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st year for those coaches:
Stoops went 7-5
Saban at LSU went 8-4
Saban at Bama went 7-6
Les Miles went 11-2
Urban went 9-3
Carrol went 6-6
Tressel went 7-5

popeyecv64

and thats all I have to say about that
Smack dab in the middle of a great state Nebraska
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also belive Bo Pelini had a better first year than some of your hotter coaches now who took over down programs...

Saban, Stoops, Meyer,
this dude did

I only say this cause the Sooners where way bad before Stoops

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerFan8807

HUGE member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1st year for those coaches:
Stoops went 7-5
Saban at LSU went 8-4
Saban at Bama went 7-6
Les Miles went 11-2
Urban went 9-3
Carrol went 6-6
Tressel went 7-5

well he had better overall first year record than
stoops, saben, saben, Carrol, and tressel!
pretty good company to be in.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the third year being the key term is more relative to the location and name brand of the school, thats about half of it, the other half is the coach. Exclude Cali Florida Texas from the equation and about all is left is Saban, but Bama isn't exactly a tough sell for recruiting. Calasuckit didn't fair as well, as well as the big names that have been through Notre Dame in the last decade, Washington, Miami have had some bad runs that all went down to poor coaching. Miles, Richt and Nutt are all but one foot out the door right now as well.
Plus now with all these recruiting violations being handed out I think that all comes down to poor coaching/leadership qualities. It's hard to convey to the recruits and parents about what a stand up guy and program your running with the NCAA telling you half your team is now ineligible to play.