• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

3 Stars and 3 Goats

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stole this from Tox on the Flyers board (sorry Tox, I'm an unoriginal bastard). Nevertheless, from last night here are my 3 for each against the Kings:

3 Stars:
1.) Patrick Marleau - 1g and 2a. Used his speed all night long and actually drove to the net on the beautiful feed from Boyler. Had 4sog and was a +2. Seems to enjoy playing against the Kings.

2.) Dan Boyle - 1g - 1a. Boyler battled in his own end, got the monkey off his back with a nice top shelf goal and had a beautiful pass to Patrick Marleau for his goal.

3.) Anze Kopitar - 1g - 1a. Was a beast last night and was noticeable almost every shift he took. Very confident with the puck right now.

3 Goats:
1.) Rob Scuderi/Jack Johnson D-pairing - They were on for all 3 ES goals against for a combined -6. If not for a seeing eye shot from Johnson (and bad netminding by Niemi) the night would have looked even worse.

2.) Colin White/Brent Burns - Burns was smoked by.....wait for it.....Dustin Penner last night for a breakaway after he got caught watching the puck and was not an impact at all on the Sharks PP. White continued to make turnovers and get turned around in his own zone as well. He just looks lost and slow.

3.) Mike Richards - Probably unfair to give him a goat as he didn't necessarily play poorly. I just had high hopes for him and he usually has some snarl to his game, but it was almost like he didn't play last night at all. I'm sure Kings fans were expecting more from him than the effort he gave last night. He's a difference maker in this league and he played like he didn't care last night.

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been a few people saying that JJ is vastly overrated and a detrimnet to the team. I am starting to slowly get on board. He has a cannon but he is not very good at the defense...

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 Stars:
#3: Thornton - His line was near dominant on every shift and he was a big part of it.

#2 Boyle - Oldest player on the team racking up 26+ minutes of icetime. Great setup for Marleu's goal and great shot on his goal.

#1 Marleau - Great game, nuff said.

3 Goats:
#3: Willie Mitchell - Undisciplined cross check to Couture gets him in the box to make it a 5 on 3. Sharks go on to score the third goal and make it a 3-1 lead they won't give up.

#2 Mike Richards - I was also excited to see him, but he was near invisible. Just didn't have much of an impact. He's usually hitting, creating turnovers, shooting from anywhere. Didn't see any of that.

#1 Jonathan Quick - Caught trying to look through his dman's legs on the Boyle goal. Horrible rebound on the Couture goal. Not sure what he was doing on the Thornton goal by not hugging the post. Not a good game.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been a few people saying that JJ is vastly overrated and a detrimnet to the team. I am starting to slowly get on board. He has a cannon but he is not very good at the defense...

There was some adjusted statistic posted on the main board last year (by Puckhead I think) that said Jack Johnson was one of the worst defenseman in the NHL. He sure plays like it a lot too, lol. Like you said good shot. That's about it.

Oh and for the record I think Mike Richards is extremely overrated. Los Angeles is going to be regretting this trade in a few years when they get 60 points a year from Richards while all the prospects they gave to Philly are tearing it up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Puckhead was the one who got me thinking about it. That was a very intersting article.

I always assumed he was good becuase he can put up some points and throw a check every now and again but at some point the negative defensive numbers are more than just a statistical anomaly.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little late, but from the Phoenix game:

3 Stars:
1.) Mike Smith - 31 Sv. SO. Played well enough. Wasn't supremely tested, but had some great saves on some tough deflections. Only shot that beat him hit the post.
2.) Dave Tippett - Does so much with so little and so many new parts. He has a great knack for getting his guys to play tough every night. He has the "us against the world" down pat.....even if it does involve interfering with as many players as possible :D
3.) Radim Vrbata - GWG. Took a couple of rough shots from Murray but kept on ticking. Didn't do much else, but there weren't that many star-worthy performances in a pretty ugly game.

3 Goats:
1.) Danny Boyle - -3. Had a really tough time getting any shots through on the PP and had a couple of ill-timed turnovers.
2.) Thomas Greiss - Poor guy didn't get a lot of help, but that 2nd goal was inexcusable. Against the Coyotes stifling 5-man defense, you can't have your goalie give up freebies. I like Thomas, but he wasn't exactly strong.
3.) Joe Thornton - Had a bunch of turnovers and you can tell when Joe is playing lazy.....he throws prayers to the front of the net and hopes for the best. I like how Joe played last year (and most of this season) when he was a puckhound and backchecked like crazy.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 Stars:
1.) M.E. Vlasic - 4 pts and a +5, nuff said.
2.) Joe Thornton - Jumbo seems to play his best against Detroit. He played great defense and provided a spark at the end of the 1st with a great pass to Pavs in the slot for a SH goal.
3.) Antii Niemi - Held down the fort in the first until the Sharks could find their legs.

3 Goats:
1.) Jimmy Howard - He's a good young goalie, but he seems to shit the bed a ton against the Sharks. Gave up 1 week goal and looked shaky numerous times. Didn't give his team a chance to win or at least get back in the game.
2.) Sharks PK - Still looks bad even though Detroit does have players that can do that to you. Positionally they look lost.
3.) Jason Demers - I'm a huge fan of this kid, but he's lost his confidence. Took two bad penalties in the first and looked like he had sat out for the past 2 weeks. I think he'll rebound eventually.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
3 Stars:
1.) M.E. Vlasic - 4 pts and a +5, nuff said.
2.) Joe Thornton - Jumbo seems to play his best against Detroit. He played great defense and provided a spark at the end of the 1st with a great pass to Pavs in the slot for a SH goal.
3.) Antii Niemi - Held down the fort in the first until the Sharks could find their legs.

3 Goats:
1.) Jimmy Howard - He's a good young goalie, but he seems to shit the bed a ton against the Sharks. Gave up 1 week goal and looked shaky numerous times. Didn't give his team a chance to win or at least get back in the game.
2.) Sharks PK - Still looks bad even though Detroit does have players that can do that to you. Positionally they look lost.
3.) Jason Demers - I'm a huge fan of this kid, but he's lost his confidence. Took two bad penalties in the first and looked like he had sat out for the past 2 weeks. I think he'll rebound eventually.

Jimmy Howard just sucks

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vs. Stars
3 Stars:
1.) Antii Niemi - Played another strong game. Was good early to let the Sharks find their way and weather the strong, frustrated Stars in the first.
2.) Brad Winchester/4th Line - Scored a great goal and had a handful of very strong shifts keeping the puck in the offensive zone and wearing out the Stars. He was near impossible to move off the puck. The entire 4th line brought energy all night long.
3.) Team Toughness - Vandemeer, Clowe and McGinn (but really the whole team) did a great job of standing up to the idiot crew (Ott, Barch, etc.) and staying disciplined in doing so.

3 Goats:
1.) Dallas Offense - Generated a lot of shots, but not a lot of the high quality variety. They are playing with zero confidence.
2.) Andrew Raycroft - Didn't look good at all and got beat from in close by Couture that just shouldn't happen (even though it was a snipe). For a struggling offense, you need your goalie to keep you in the game.
3.) Steve Ott - Looked like a little kid who got his toys taken away and was going to be a little brat. Bad thing is, nothing happened and he just looked like an idiot instead of sparking his team.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vs. Stars
3 Stars:
1.) Antii Niemi - Played another strong game. Was good early to let the Sharks find their way and weather the strong, frustrated Stars in the first.
2.) Brad Winchester/4th Line - Scored a great goal and had a handful of very strong shifts keeping the puck in the offensive zone and wearing out the Stars. He was near impossible to move off the puck. The entire 4th line brought energy all night long.
3.) Team Toughness - Vandemeer, Clowe and McGinn (but really the whole team) did a great job of standing up to the idiot crew (Ott, Barch, etc.) and staying disciplined in doing so.

3 Goats:
1.) Dallas Offense - Generated a lot of shots, but not a lot of the high quality variety. They are playing with zero confidence.
2.) Andrew Raycroft - Didn't look good at all and got beat from in close by Couture that just shouldn't happen (even though it was a snipe). For a struggling offense, you need your goalie to keep you in the game.
3.) Steve Ott - Looked like a little kid who got his toys taken away and was going to be a little brat. Bad thing is, nothing happened and he just looked like an idiot instead of sparking his team.

That's pretty much a given isn't it? :p

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that if Ott were to fight Avery, they would end up just pulling each others pants down. :bj:

+rep for using that smiley in proper context (hockey related).

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avalanche
3 Stars:
1.) Thomas Greiss - Win, 36Svs and 1.00GAA. Was amazing in net and had to be since it was the second game on back to back nights. Didn't get much help from the team, but thwarted a talented, young Avs team time and again.

2.) Patrick Marleau - 3g, +1, and 6 Shots. Marleau drove the net twice for his two real goals. One he stuffed in after a nice pass from Vlasic and the other he deflected up and past Jiggy. Got the EN'er for the Hattrick.

3.) M.E. Vlasic - 3a, +2. Vlasic is turning into an offensive juggernaut, lol. Had two very nice assists and good vision last night and played pretty well defensively (as usual).

Honorable mention to Matt Duchesne.....the kid is flat out amazing.

3 Goats:
1.) Kyle Quincey. - -2. Was a -2, looked out of position all night and took the first penalty that led to a Sharks PP goal. REally changed the momentum as the Avs were all over the Sharks. Don't know what happened to this guy, he was really good in LA and then starred his first year with the Avs.

2.) Erik Johnson - -2. Johnson didn't really create all that much offense and he wasn't all that good in the defensive zone either. He looks like he's the type of defenseman still (since he's young) that tries to make a big hit even if it takes him out of position. He'll get better and probably be a beast, but still, rough night.

3.) Paul Stastny - Didn't play horribly, but I didn't notice much when he was out there either. He's far too talented to not be a presence nightly. Probably doesn't deserve to be a goat since he didn't play bad, but I expect more from him.