• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

29 year old Kobe vs 29 year old LeBron. Who you got?

Flambo Gus

Token Native Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't make accurate comparisons across era's. it just isn't possible, not among comparable players anyway. (I can say without a doubt that Kwame Brown is not as good as Kareem) But Kevin Durant, isn't a comparable player to Reggie Miller in my mind. He does so much more than Reggie ever dreamed of.

But yes, I guess we will have to agree to disagree

Both of them need a hamburger. Looking like a damn UNICEF telethon...

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait....You do remember that this all started because someone asked if Lebron was a better SF than Bird, right?

Refresh my memory, did they ever play each other?

People debate Shaq vs. Wilt vs. Russell all the time.

So, if you don't think it's a worthy debate, you are entitled to that.

But, you don't get to tell me what I can and can't compare.

Sports fandom is probably equal parts emotion and logic.

So, it doesn't have to make sense to you.

Agree to disagree :noidea:

what bothers me most is you arent even trying to use any evidence to prove your point other than.

Level of competition. Which is a total copout argument. Come with some information to at least try and prove your point.

(Un)

Naturally Striped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50% of all LeBron-related comments look like this to me:

"I don't like LeBron therefore he sucks"

Flambo Gus

Token Native Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
50% of all LeBron-related comment look like this to me:

"I don't like LeBron therefore he sucks"

So?!?!?!

Let me hate the guy how I want to hate him.

Flambo Gus

Token Native Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take 29 year old Kevin Durant over 29 year old Kobe & 29 year old LeBron. Can't wait to see how badly Durant destroys the league on his way to his first title this year.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait.....someone thinks that Reggie Miller was better than KD???

:rofl:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't make accurate comparisons across era's. it just isn't possible, not among comparable players anyway. (I can say without a doubt that Kwame Brown is not as good as Kareem) But Kevin Durant, isn't a comparable player to Reggie Miller in my mind. He does so much more than Reggie ever dreamed of.

Again, I wasn't comparing them per se...

This is partially my fault because I shouldn't assume that others follow my thought process.

Maybe it would have been easier had I said ' Durant will be the Dominique Wilkins " of this era.

My point was only that he has been largely overshadowed by Lebron.

I think I used the Reggie analogy because subconsciously I was thinking " shooter ".

But, I also meant it in a historical sense.

If he never wins, will he be seen more like Malone, a guy who didn't win because of Jordan or Miller, a guy that didn't win because all he does is score?

hockey878

Hoopla Cash
$ 300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is partially my fault because I shouldn't assume that others follow my thought process.

Maybe it would have been easier had I said ' Durant will be the Dominique Wilkins " of this era.

I think I used the Reggie analogy because subconsciously I was thinking " shooter ".

If he never wins, will he be seen more like Malone, a guy who didn't win because of Jordan or Miller, a guy that didn't win because all he does is score?

Ok so you mean it strictly as an analogy? That I can buy.

Still think KD is significantly better than Reggie though

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that is 80's basketball in a nutshell. Torrid pace, weak defense.

I disagree about the defense. The pace of the game was what was different. We all saw how basketball was played in the 80's watching what the Spurs did to the Heat. It was about ball movement, player movement and spacing. It wasn't that the defense was bad, it was that the offense was that good.

I actually think that some of the criticism of the Heat's defense was unwarranted. When a team is moving the ball and players with the kind of precision the Spurs were, open shots are inevitable and the pace of the offense wears the defense down. First rule of basketball: The ball moves faster than the man.

The Bad Boys changed things because they figured out that there was no way that they were getting past teams like the Lakers and Celtics trying to play the style of basketball that those teams played. So, they ratcheted up the physical play to unseen levels and that slowed the game and the scoring started to drop.

Then, in the 90's with MJ and league expansion, iso's started becoming more and more popular which combined with the more physical defense, caused the scoring drop even more.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what bothers me most is you arent even trying to use any evidence to prove your point other than.

Level of competition. Which is a total copout argument. Come with some information to at least try and prove your point.

I'm not even sure what your point is.

Elaborate?

I understand where I lost the other guy.

But, you just popped up out the woodwork.

So, where did I lose you?

Flambo Gus

Token Native Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He'll be seen as the guy who kicked LeBron-in-his-Prime's ass.

Flambo Gus

Token Native Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget that Kevin Durant is just 25. He has ten years left in his career and is supported by a roster designed to win now, not 3 or 4 years from now, like 29 year old LeBron is.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok so you mean it strictly as an analogy? That I can buy.

Still think KD is significantly better than Reggie though

Some guys would be good to great in any era. Reggie and KD are 2 of those guys. Reggie is a better pure shooter. Pure shooters translate into any era.

KD is better all around than Reggie was and his skill set also translates well into any era.

Guys like Laimbeer, Mahorn, Oakley, Mason, etc. wouldn't translate nearly as well to this era because they'd foul out in the 1st half of every game and would eventually be kicked out the league for accumulation of flagrant fouls.

Flambo Gus

Token Native Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I want HIM to win.

It's that damn Westbrook that I'm having problems with.

He needs to ease up with that Heroball!

Of all the former Bruins in the NBA, he's the guy I like least.

I think this is the year they can win on just talent. The Spurs have to get old eventually, and there is no beast in the East to worry about in the finals.

Honestly, I can see a scenario where the Heat return to the finals next year, just because of how bad the rest of the conference is.

Flambo Gus

Token Native Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Westbrook playing heroball, that's just part of the package. Him changing the way he approaches the game would probably negatively affect his impact.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Worm" > BronBron