• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

21-22 Season - Jekyll or Hyde ?

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So in this article there is a speculated trade deal where Columbus would trade Laine for Hayes. Although if I did that deal as a GM I would only sign Laine for 3 years max. Then you could plug Laine in at 2c and see if he thrives or is his career in the shitter? I think a better package deal if you could pull it off would be, Hayes, Patrick and a first for, Laine, Jones and Domi. Granted you only get Jones on a one year deal to start but I'd take that chance, if things went good I think you could probably re sign him to a bigger contract. I don't know where the cap numbers are but I think you'd still have enough to try and land a solid vet Dman or winger. Just my 2cents.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So in this article there is a speculated trade deal where Columbus would trade Laine for Hayes. Although if I did that deal as a GM I would only sign Laine for 3 years max. Then you could plug Laine in at 2c and see if he thrives or is his career in the shitter? I think a better package deal if you could pull it off would be, Hayes, Patrick and a first for, Laine, Jones and Domi. Granted you only get Jones on a one year deal to start but I'd take that chance, if things went good I think you could probably re sign him to a bigger contract. I don't know where the cap numbers are but I think you'd still have enough to try and land a solid vet Dman or winger. Just my 2cents.

If you trade Hayes for Laine you are filling one hole to create another.

Laine is not a center. He is a top LW. On the right team he could be the #2 LW. He needs a center like a younger Giroux who is an adept distributor and is willing to go to the dirty places with pace. Cooter could work with him because he is creative and a banger, but it is not a given. Either way, you now need a number 2 center.

Leave Laine where he is...

The better option would be to get Jones, full stop. IMHO

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately I don't think that's enough. Hayes, Patrick, and a 1st probably doesn't even get a re-signed Jones.

Meltzer speculated in his comments that he would expect the return for an extended Jones to be:

Konecny OR Farabee
Sanheim OR Myers
1st round pick OR high level prospect

He added that could have something else coming from Columbus (he had mentioned Korpisalo in his article).

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus dude. What are we doing here? The Flyers could offer Couturier, Provorov, and Hart if they wanted to. But why the hell would they and who the hell cares if they could?

Hey, water is wet. 100% fact!!!!!
Still makes my post 100% fact !!!! :nod:

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you trade Hayes for Laine you are filling one hole to create another.

Laine is not a center. He is a top LW. On the right team he could be the #2 LW. He needs a center like a younger Giroux who is an adept distributor and is willing to go to the dirty places with pace. Cooter could work with him because he is creative and a banger, but it is not a given. Either way, you now need a number 2 center.

Leave Laine where he is...

The better option would be to get Jones, full stop. IMHO
Ellis is sitting out there an as i understand it Nashville is willing to part with him and is signed at 6.25 for at least 4 more years. IMO that's the better option than Jones.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellis is sitting out there an as i understand it Nashville is willing to part with him and is signed at 6.25 for at least 4 more years. IMO that's the better option than Jones.

Ellis is still my #1 if Nashville does indeed move him. Haven't seen much on that front lately though. Dumba and Jones seem to be the hot names.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellis is still my #1 if Nashville does indeed move him. Haven't seen much on that front lately though. Dumba and Jones seem to be the hot names.
Do you think Nashville would accept a Number 1 Myers and Patrick for him?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Nashville would accept a Number 1 Myers and Patrick for him?

I think they'd at least consider that offer. If they do decide to move Ellis, the only reason would be because they're starting a rebuild. They'd be looking for high ceiling young players and those 3 pieces would fit that.

I expect they'd ask for a 1st, York, and Patrick though.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they'd at least consider that offer. If they do decide to move Ellis, the only reason would be because they're starting a rebuild. They'd be looking for high ceiling young players and those 3 pieces would fit that.

I expect they'd ask for a 1st, York, and Patrick though.
If they asked for that i would counter with a 1st Sanheim and Patrick.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they asked for that i would counter with a 1st Sanheim and Patrick.

I think that's where the conversation would be for sure. If I were Nashville, I would stand my ground on York. Sanheim has 255 games of NHL experience and looks like he's probably a #3 dman. Maybe he can play top pair if you get him a good RD partner.

York may end up there too, but there's definitely some variability, up and down, in what he ends up as. I'd take the swing on York and hope he becomes a top pair guy.

Same reason Patrick would be appealing to me if I were them. He might be a complete bust. But why not take the chance that he can be a top 6 forward? At the start of the rebuild, what's the point of being conservative and loading up with a bunch of safe, middle of the lineup guys? It's essentially the strategy Hextall followed because his hope was that G/Jake could be those top of the lineup guys long enough to bridge the gap. Now it's getting dicey for the Flyers and there isn't a home run swing anywhere in their prospect pool to pin our hopes on. They have to find difference makers in FA/trades and history has shown that doesn't work very well except in rare cases.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's where the conversation would be for sure. If I were Nashville, I would stand my ground on York. Sanheim has 255 games of NHL experience and looks like he's probably a #3 dman. Maybe he can play top pair if you get him a good RD partner.

York may end up there too, but there's definitely some variability, up and down, in what he ends up as. I'd take the swing on York and hope he becomes a top pair guy.

Same reason Patrick would be appealing to me if I were them. He might be a complete bust. But why not take the chance that he can be a top 6 forward? At the start of the rebuild, what's the point of being conservative and loading up with a bunch of safe, middle of the lineup guys? It's essentially the strategy Hextall followed because his hope was that G/Jake could be those top of the lineup guys long enough to bridge the gap. Now it's getting dicey for the Flyers and there isn't a home run swing anywhere in their prospect pool to pin our hopes on. They have to find difference makers in FA/trades and history has shown that
If they insist on York i would say no and move on to someone else as Ellis is good but not worth that price.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty messed up news about Pasternaks baby boy dying. Some things are just sad.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty messed up news about Pasternaks baby boy dying. Some things are just sad.

Definitely. Hard times for the Pasternaks for sure.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t believe it’s in the flyers interest to go get a “diminutive” forward at this point. Maybe good for regular season but does it make them any better in the playoffs.

I know we have to MAKE the playoffs to care about them, but if we are moving on from our core we need to build to go all the way - not remain in the pergatory we’ve been in -

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t believe it’s in the flyers interest to go get a “diminutive” forward at this point. Maybe good for regular season but does it make them any better in the playoffs.

I know we have to MAKE the playoffs to care about them, but if we are moving on from our core we need to build to go all the way - not remain in the pergatory we’ve been in -
Our core is still in place so until they are a moved we will be in the middle to upper middle year after year. IMO We cant have those guys eating up so much of the salary cap.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I make a hard run at it this year and see where they end up. If the types of significant moves we talk about here fall into place, like adding a 1st pair dman, hopefully a forward with some game-breaking ability, a back-up goalie that can carry the load if Hart falters; that will tell us a lot about what the Flyers can do with this group of players.

All of that hinges on being able to move some salary around. If the Kraken throw the Flyers an anchor and take Hagg/Braun/NAK type guys, they're in a real tough spot. But if they take JvR or Voracek, there's room for the Flyers to maneuver. Add in that you're probably going to move a TK/Sanheim type salary to get that 1RD and there's still room to look for help in other places.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3