• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Training Camp stuff

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown is on the NFI list - had some tightness so they are going to ease him back. As a long-term veteran with some injury history - this is the right move.

Mims has been opening some eyes early in OTA's and will now get a chance to run as the 1 in camp. Tobin with some unusual high praise for the rookie stating he would not be surprised if he opens the season as the #1 RT...

On the Burrow front - the arm/wrist look to be in prime form. Had zero issues with zip or deep passes yesterday. Love that they will be working him out of the rotation with some rest days, and glad he's finally realizing that he doesn't need, nor should he take, every single rep in every single practice. The season is long, and primary guys who have been around awhile now just don't need all the reps.

Bullish on the Bengals defense this year. Love the Rankins' addition, plus I think the experience last year at DB will help everyone with the addition of Stone and re-addition of Bell to help add much needed experience. The key, IMO, is going to be Murphy taking that next step to generate more sacks from his pressure rate (which was 2nd behind Hendrickson last year).

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown is on the NFI list - had some tightness so they are going to ease him back. As a long-term veteran with some injury history - this is the right move.

Mims has been opening some eyes early in OTA's and will now get a chance to run as the 1 in camp. Tobin with some unusual high praise for the rookie stating he would not be surprised if he opens the season as the #1 RT...

On the Burrow front - the arm/wrist look to be in prime form. Had zero issues with zip or deep passes yesterday. Love that they will be working him out of the rotation with some rest days, and glad he's finally realizing that he doesn't need, nor should he take, every single rep in every single practice. The season is long, and primary guys who have been around awhile now just don't need all the reps.

Bullish on the Bengals defense this year. Love the Rankins' addition, plus I think the experience last year at DB will help everyone with the addition of Stone and re-addition of Bell to help add much needed experience. The key, IMO, is going to be Murphy taking that next step to generate more sacks from his pressure rate (which was 2nd behind Hendrickson last year).
A few other points -

Chase has yet to practice. He dressed but hasn't practiced. Taylor won't comment on whether this is contract related or if he is dealing with anything coming out of the offseason. I'm not concerned about either scenario, but it is notable.

I'm interested to see Dax Hill play corner. He has all of the tools and if he's allowed to think less and use his skills more, he might really bring something to the table. A defensive backfield with CTB, Dax Hill, Mike Hilton, Vonn Bell, and Gino Stone would be one of the most physical backfields in the league. It doesn't solve our issues against the run, but it would contribute in a meaningful way.

I'm excited to see what happens with this offense. As much as Boyd and Mixon deserve credit for their roles in the Bengals turn-around, their presence on the team limited the options for the offense. Both of those guys are limited on the roles they play for an offense. The potential versatility of the weapon group is stargering. Pitch just needs to make it work.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care much about the scuttlebutt around the Chase extension, I want to know why there's no talk about a McPherson extension.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few other points -

Chase has yet to practice. He dressed but hasn't practiced. Taylor won't comment on whether this is contract related or if he is dealing with anything coming out of the offseason. I'm not concerned about either scenario, but it is notable.

I'm interested to see Dax Hill play corner. He has all of the tools and if he's allowed to think less and use his skills more, he might really bring something to the table. A defensive backfield with CTB, Dax Hill, Mike Hilton, Vonn Bell, and Gino Stone would be one of the most physical backfields in the league. It doesn't solve our issues against the run, but it would contribute in a meaningful way.

I'm excited to see what happens with this offense. As much as Boyd and Mixon deserve credit for their roles in the Bengals turn-around, their presence on the team limited the options for the offense. Both of those guys are limited on the roles they play for an offense. The potential versatility of the weapon group is stargering. Pitch just needs to make it work.
I think the Chase thing is much-ado-about-nothing. Likely contract related, but he'll end up playing. So, I'm not really concerned with this. Afterall, this is the path he said he wanted.

I agree with Hill. He flashed at CB as a rookie. His size and willingness to come up quickly and tackle as well as short area burst make him a solid DB, and one who could help set the edge in the running game that was missing last year. Many of the runs that broke out were because the DB did not come up quick enough or got stuck inside rather than staying outside to contain. I think Dax can help fix this issue.

Love Boyd. Love Mixon. Both should have been gone before last season. It is what it is. Father time is undefeated, and as a Franchise, you have to kind of move on to keep the window open - especially when you still have guys like Burrow, Chase, Higgins entering their mid-prime years.

Burton is going to be a STUD. Mark it down. The 3-headed monster is going to EAT this year.

I also think we'll see more of the TE this year with a true split-out TE in Gesicki. This offense has a ton of potential to put up some serious yards/points...but I'd settle for just being able to drive the ball consistently and avoid going 3-out as often as it seems like they have over the past few seasons.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hadn't seen that anywhere, thank you for letting me know.
The way Duke joked about it during the media luncheon made me think the deal would be done by the end of camp. The top-end kickers all make approximately the same amount per year, and I don't think guaranteed money is something you'll see with kickers. So, this deal is kinda in the Bengals wheelhouse.