• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Patriots Draft Thread

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever heard the one about that gal who said to her boyfriend, "Give me ten inches and make it hurt."

He screwed her twice and punched her in the mouth.
How do non-binery people kill other people?

They / Them

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI:

Odds and Ends:

Another interesting note is the fact that Tony Pauline reported that the Patriots met with North Carolina receiver Devontez Walker during the University’s Pro Day. Walker is projected to be a late first-round or an early second-round pick. In the event the Patriots landed Maye, it would be interesting to see if they’d then do what both Cincinnati and Miami did and target Maye’s college teammate, creating instant chemistry with their young signal-caller. That would certainly be fun. … According to Bleacher Report’s Jordan Schultz, Tennessee QB Joe Milton reportedly met with the Patriots before his pro day, with New England doing their due diligence ahead of next month’s draft. One interesting note on Milton was the fact that the university reportedly did something unusual during its Pro Day, taking it outside for Milton’s final two throws to ensure the young QB prospect didn’t hit the ceiling. Crazy stuff. … The Patriots reportedly announced its offseason workout program, with Mark Daniels of MassLive reporting that the first day for players is April 8th, with voluntary minicamp running from April 23-24. The draft starts April 25. The OTA dates are May 20,21, 23, 29, 30,31, along with 3,4,6, and 7. Mandatory Minicamp will run from June 11-13.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this was the thread where rec to Dynasty series was posted, the new one on Apple. Definitely worth watching. It uses drama and maybe some audio to change pace. This is looking like a long-term series about NFL, and all the things players live through. For all teams. Love the concept.

Been a fan for some time, so I will share opinion of that series:

1) Historically correct, although it jumps around.

2) Balanced, for the most part. It’s good to hear both sides of any story. They don’t really push opinion, just stating most of the facts.

3) It leaves room for viewer imagination to form own opinion of team.

Conclusion: Great recap, photography, script, etc., and other details in the series.

Very well done!

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, interviews with so many players. Good stuff. Probably, the unity of that team, the whole team, was precious.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if this was the thread where rec to Dynasty series was posted, the new one on Apple. Definitely worth watching. It uses drama and maybe some audio to change pace. This is looking like a long-term series about NFL, and all the things players live through. For all teams. Love the concept.

Been a fan for some time, so I will share opinion of that series:

1) Historically correct, although it jumps around.

2) Balanced, for the most part. It’s good to hear both sides of any story. They don’t really push opinion, just stating most of the facts.

3) It leaves room for viewer imagination to form own opinion of team.

Conclusion: Great recap, photography, script, etc., and other details in the series.

Very well done!
Wow.

I have read reviews on many different platforms and this is the first positive one.

Many of the players interview were disappointed with the end result as well.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.

I have read reviews on many different platforms and this is the first positive one.

Many of the players interview were disappointed with the end result as well.
Well some parts or episodes are a bit hard to swallow as a fan, that’s for sure. But IMO the overall result -although somewhat dramatized- paints a picture of how good that run / team spirit was, loved the highlight reels, brought back good memories.

Also, it gives the Pats-are-cheaters crowd and haters fodder to nibble on. Guess those parts require a thick skin to watch, but they don’t really subtract anything from what was accomplished, IMO.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well some parts or episodes are a bit hard to swallow as a fan, that’s for sure. But IMO the overall result -although somewhat dramatized- paints a picture of how good that run / team spirit was, loved the highlight reels, brought back good memories.

Also, it gives the Pats-are-cheaters crowd and haters fodder to nibble on. Guess those parts require a thick skin to watch, but they don’t really subtract anything from what was accomplished, IMO.
I am glad you found it enjoyable.

I will not watch it for all the negative reviews I have read. Even Scar has said that it is wrong.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the first 2 episodes and really enjoyed them. Brady and Ty Law are funny as hell. But have read nothing but negativity from there on. I won’t watch it. I like how I feel about the Patriots. I don’t want my fond memories skewed.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the first 2 episodes and really enjoyed them. Brady and Ty Law are funny as hell. But have read nothing but negativity from there on. I won’t watch it. I like how I feel about the Patriots. I don’t want my fond memories skewed.
Talked me out of it!

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard an interesting discussion in regards to LT and the draft.

LT's are pushed up in draft status because there are so few ready to actually step in and play at the NFL level. Very few LTs that are taken in the first round are worth being taken in the first round but the needs are so great that they get pushed up.

They talked about the ones that are being pushed in 2024 and they focused on two. Amarius Mims and Kiran Amigadjie.

Mims had played a grand total of six games. Amigadjie has played since he was a freshman but has had a couple of leg injuies and hasn't played against college iron. Then they discussed the weaknesses of the top five and how those will be ignored with teams hoping that the one they pick will be the next stud. Finally they talked about That they called the "Unspoken", who will most likely be taken very late and end up challenging for the start by the third preseason game.

Blake Fisher ND
Roger Rosengarten WAS
Walter Rouse OU
Julian Pearl IND

Then the "Unknown Surprises"

Jeremy Flax UK
Jarrett Kingston USC
Trey Wedig WIS

One of them said that he wouldn't be surprised of two out of the top five OTs taken don't survive their rookie contract.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LT's are pushed up in draft status because there are so few ready to actually step in and play at the NFL level. Very few LTs that are taken in the first round are worth being taken in the first round but the needs are so great that they get pushed up.

They talked about the ones that are being pushed in 2024 and they focused on two. Amarius Mims and Kiran Amigadjie.

Mims had played a grand total of six games. Amigadjie has played since he was a freshman but has had a couple of leg injuies and hasn't played against college iron. Then they discussed the weaknesses of the top five and how those will be ignored with teams hoping that the one they pick will be the next stud. Finally they talked about That they called the "Unspoken", who will most likely be taken very late and end up challenging for the start by the third preseason game.

Blake Fisher ND
Roger Rosengarten WAS
Walter Rouse OU
Julian Pearl IND

Jeremy Flax UK
Jarrett Kingston USC
Trey Wedig WIS

One of them said that he wouldn't be surprised of two out of the top five OTs taken don't survive their rookie contract.
It makes sense, and ceiling is always a consideration when drafting, how high is a players ceiling? Is a LT taken in round one, early round one, near his potential ceiling vs a LT in round two or three that may have a greater ceiling? Every draft is risk vs reward, but accounting for how much growth there is for a player is a critical decision.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blake Fisher ND
Roger Rosengarten WAS
Walter Rouse OU
Julian Pearl IND

Jeremy Flax UK
Jarrett Kingston USC
Trey Wedig WIS

It makes sense, and ceiling is always a consideration when drafting, how high is a players ceiling? Is a LT taken in round one, early round one, near his potential ceiling vs a LT in round two or three that may have a greater ceiling? Every draft is risk vs reward, but accounting for how much growth there is for a player is a critical decision.
So trade back for extra picks this year and next and pick up a couple O Lineman that will be studs in a couple years and a WR or TE. Not neccessarily all in that order.
Next year grab whatever other holes are open knowing that the O Line may need one more year to gel.
Finally, in 2026 grab the best QB available. Trade up even.

A QB this year and we are not winning anyway, and he's scrambling or getting hurt, we are just kicking the can down the road, and we will need to draft O Line next year with less draft capitol and still wait a couple few years for them to figure it out.

Gotta play the long game not the win now at any cost game.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So trade back for extra picks this year and next and pick up a couple O Lineman that will be studs in a couple years and a WR or TE. Not neccessarily all in that order.
Next year grab whatever other holes are open knowing that the O Line may need one more year to gel.

A QB this year and we are not winning anyway, and he's scrambling or getting hurt, we are just kicking the can down the road, and we will need to draft O Line next year with less draft capitol and still wait a couple few years for them to figure it out.

I feel there is enough potential QB and T depth to trade back. If Williams, Maye and Daniels are 1,2,3 McCarthy must be 4 can we get him past the top 10 or do we need a trade partner in the top 10 that does need a QB?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mostly agree, but say we draft Daniels... I recall when Brady had periods when his line was porous, designed rollouts were effective and kept him safe. I would think Daniels could be effective too with that approach. Especially if just enough designed runs can be included to keep the defense focused on containment.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mostly agree, but say we draft Daniels... I recall when Brady had periods when his line was porous, designed rollouts were effective and kept him safe. I would think Daniels could be effective too with that approach. Especially if just enough designed runs can be included to keep the defense focused on containment.
This assumes Daniels would be able to read defenses as well as Brady and I have legit doubts about that. Also Brady's ability to get rid of the ball quickly was because he could process his reads in mili-seconds, that is not Daniels game, he will have to be re-worked because he is a run first QB

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very few remember who Brady was early in his career. I'll do my best.
Picture a QB who could process multiple reads and remember where each of them were supposed to be.- not where they were but where they would be in another second or two.
Now picture Brady, who could remember where 5 reds would take each of them.
After going through his progressions, he would throw to where his chosen read would be.
There werre times where Brady would hit a defender and we'd get frustrated like; weren't you looking?
No he wasn't! That is why Brady was so fanatical about receivers being where they should be.
It is also why defenders could not look at his eyes and figure out where he was going.......

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very few remember who Brady was early in his career. I'll do my best.
Picture a QB who could process multiple reads and remember where each of them were supposed to be.- not where they were but where they would be in another second or two.
Now picture Brady, who could remember where 5 reds would take each of them.
After going through his progressions, he would throw to where his chosen read would be.
There werre times where Brady would hit a defender and we'd get frustrated like; weren't you looking?
No he wasn't! That is why Brady was so fanatical about receivers being where they should be.
It is also why defenders could not look at his eyes and figure out where he was going.......
Troy M always read his eyes, which is why the Pats seemed to always demolish the Steelers.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Troy Pauline who was at every Pro-Day, Elliot Wolf has been trying to convince everyone else on the Patriots staff to draft JJ McCarthy at #3. Very little is being said about his attempt to sell JJ other than Van Pelt is against it because McCarthy has the smallest hands of any QB in the draft....9" from thumb to baby finger. Not at all good for playing in the frigid cold. Remember, No college teams are playing football in December or January except for bowl games in warmer climates. One other note. Upon reviewing Michigan film, in all of the final five games played, Michigan RAN the ball on third down and never threw it.

All of the above was taken from Early Edition 4/2/2024 mostly spoken by Mike Giardi. Giardi spoke with Pauline when he wrote about Wolf pushing hard for McCarthy. 83% of Patriot fans polled are ready to fire Wolf.

Thoughts? Discussion? Opinions??