• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 NFL Draft discussion thread

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be on suicide watch if the Chiefs get Worthy!

Mims karma might be in play here. Hope for a deep playoff run for chiefs if you want him drafted first...

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mims karma might be in play here. Hope for a deep playoff run for chiefs if you want him drafted first...

Remember how many times I said we will never draft Mims last year and it worked? Maybe I can strike shock two years in a row? ;)

I can't root for KC to make a deep playoff run.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank god Paton will be back. He had drafted well. Bad luck on the Wilson ordeal didn’t work out but really like what he has done otherwise. Denver is very smart to keep him another year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank god Paton will be back. He had drafted well. Bad luck on the Wilson ordeal didn’t work out but really like what he has done otherwise. Denver is very smart to keep him another year.
He must have blamed it on Hackett by now. He gives the coaches what they ask for in the marketplace - consulting with them along the way.

Now - who allowed the clause in Wilson's contract - which guaranteed a large hunk of the contract even against injury after two years? So, Williams' representatives transferred the risk of injury back as a Bronco expense and a Wilson benefit. There is no economic incentive for Wilson to get well in that structure. Geroge Payton is not a lawyer, but someone in his organization had to be looking at this question.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather keep Russ and try and draft a QB in 24 or 25 instead of cutting russ , rolling with a Stiham or Jimmy G and still trying to draft a QB.

that 2nd part i can’t get behind. its the same process they are been running back since 2016. it’s a failed process. not sure why these NFL so called executives can’t see that.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather keep Russ and try and draft a QB in 24 or 25 instead of cutting russ , rolling with a Stiham or Jimmy G and still trying to draft a QB.

that 2nd part i can’t get behind. its the same process they are been running back since 2016. it’s a failed process. not sure why these NFL so called executives can’t see that.
Remind me again the number of qb's Paton or Payton have drafted here vs Elway? I get the frustration, but place the blame where its supposed to be. In the draft overall, Paton has been gold.

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could go either way with Paton honestly. He drafted pretty decently.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would be nuts to fire Paton, IMO.

He and Payton working together now only makes him that much better. Love his draft thus far.

Hate to go back to the John Elway school of drafting. I don't see anyone out there better on the open market barring some person we aren't aware of right now that we hit a home run on.

I will be shocked if Paton isn't with Denver next year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the biggest letdowns to me this year with the team was not using Marvin Mims the way he should be used on offense. Not too worried about it as a I think Payton knows exactly what he drafted him for so hopefully that comes more next year when we get our offense more like Payton wants it.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remind me again the number of qb's Paton or Payton have drafted here vs Elway? I get the frustration, but place the blame where its supposed to be. In the draft overall, Paton has been gold.
the scenerio i don’t want to support is a journeyman QB and no QBOTF becuase the board did not fall the right way.

in that scenerio , would rather have Russ

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the scenerio i don’t want to support is a journeyman QB and no QBOTF becuase the board did not fall the right way.

in that scenerio , would rather have Russ

This is why I think we have to draft a QB this year. Like I said I don't want to draft a QB just to draft a QB but I think Payton picking 12th can at least come up with a plan of what he REALLY wants at QB. We need a cheaper QB because of Wilson's contract so that checks the rookie QB box. We pick fairly high in a good QB draft so that checks another strong possibility.

I don't see us making a move to grab a Jake Browning like QB this offseason. Stidham is not our future but at least we do have him under another 1 year deal (we could have worse).. That being said I think the probability of drafting a QB early is extremely likely.

Financially and draft position wise it makes too much sense. Of course we have no idea what Payton/Paton working together like at QB so it all depends on that too as next year class is deep but it almost feels like if we don't draft a QB this year we are basically punting to stop gap into next year and that seems unlikely and unappealing.

I just don't want to draft the wrong QB this year to just draft another one next year, I don't want to end up with a Josh Rosen / Kyler Murray scenario in back to back years where you end up throwing a way a pick because you draft the wrong QB... However, also understand that is the risk you take when you have to draft a QB because of the situation we are in.

I would rather draft a Nix/Penix this year then stop gap it with someone like Jake Browning/Stidham.

On the flip side. I don't want to suck but if we get the wrong QB then I am all in on Carson Beck next year. ;)

Moral of the story- Drafting a QB early is exciting and irritating at the same time. I just hope we get it right this year.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhere in the mix of possible QB's in the draft the Broncos could take in Round 1, there's a CJ Stroud and there's a Ryan Leaf. No guarantees with Williams or Maye either. Look at Trevor Lawrence. Billed to be a generational talent and is starting to fade already. It's a nerve wracking proposition but one the Broncos must face. QB at pick #12 is a must this year.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhere in the mix of possible QB's in the draft the Broncos could take in Round 1, there's a CJ Stroud and there's a Ryan Leaf. No guarantees with Williams or Maye either. Look at Trevor Lawrence. Billed to be a generational talent and is starting to fade already. It's a nerve wracking proposition but one the Broncos must face. QB at pick #12 is a must this year.

Lawrence has been pretty good really. Had a better year last year then this year but the ending to his season was really nothing you can take about his future. Playing with a bad shoulder and an ankle sprain he really shouldn't have been playing with.
Hard to play well when you aren't healthy. Lawrence should be fine.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We re-sign DiNucci for next year. Practice squad players have to re-sign for the following year. I would expect we would re-sign most of our PS. Last year we re-signed everyone but Tyrie Cleveland who wanted to move back.

Josey Jewell spoke to the media and not that it matters what he says or wants but he did mention that he thinks this team is close to being very good (something a player should probably say about his team) and then he has stated several times he hopes Denver wants him back because he wants to return. Alex Singleton walked by the mic and said "Yes, he will be back next year"... I really think we need Jewell back. Drew Sanders didn't impress me much this year but I think like most ILB's you grow a lot your second year and am hopeful Sanders will do that.

I am more curious what we do with:

Singleton
DJ Jones
Tim Patrick
Mike Purcell

I think we move on from Purcell no matter what. I think Jones and Singleton would have to do something with their contracts and Tim Patrick obviously will have to do something. Sorta expecting Jones will be cut. With 2 back to back injuries I think Patrick may want to make it work with the team whom he has rehabbed under the past two years but no way can we be ok paying him what he is due after missing two years in a row. I feel like DJ Jones won't do any re-work on his contract and was too up and down under Payton for that one to really work.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turner-Yell's injury is worse then I thought. Torn ACL, MCL and some other damage. Could impact him into next year. Ugh. Good special teamer just a guy I have always liked since college. Player I have contact with.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DC pretty much nailed it. We're in a great spot in the draft to move up or down if needed for a qb. We need the position filled, and it needs to be cheap.

If we don't go with a qb and wind up with a wr, edge or OT Im good with that, but expectations both long and short term as fans should be adjusted.

I'm about where DC was at the end of last season. I'm so burnt out on losing and shit play that I barely watched anything about half way through the win streak. It was nice while it lasted, but there wasn't enough good fundamental football in place to sustain it.

They made strides, and the culture seems improved. Im also very on board keeping Paton, as his drafts gave been stellar overall.

Just fix the qb position, get out of cap hell, and hopefully hit on this year's first rd pick.

Just putting it out there, but given were 18 million over the cap I wouldn't be shocked to see an unexpected player traded or waived.

At least it'll be interesting.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penix looked like crap tonight. He’s going to have issues against NFL defenses
They both (McCarthy) had rough games. I was impressed with Penix guts, and McCarthy poise and escapability. I think if you liked either one going in, you found reasons to like them still.

At 12 or lower, I want McCarthy assuming he declares.

coloradobuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring Jewell back.
Cut Singleton
Cut Patrick
Cut Purcell
Rework DJ Jones contract