• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could definitely see the Giants drafting McCarthy or even the Jets considering it and having him sit and learn for a year. Both teams really need to look at 2025 and beyond because they really have nothing right now in the QB room for the future. Of course, both those franchises are poorly ran so they may go something totally different. The Giants do need a lot on the offensive side as well. Arguably the worst WR room in the league right now or at least, in the conversation.
The Giants have to go Nabers. They don't have a #1. If they suck again, go QB in the '25 draft.

And the Jets really need another OL.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You look at "chart" value on any of the charts and you will see that to get to #5 overall from #11 shouldnt even be talking about giving up next year's 1st rounder. #11 and #23 are MORE than enough.

The difference between the #5 overall pick and taking the 4th QB off the board and going up to the #2 spot and taking the 2nd QB are two WILDLY different things.

IMO the Vikes got the #23 just in case Washington wants to trade out. Only if we move up to the #2 spot for the Vikes should they even entertain the idea of parting with yet another pick from next year's draft. And even then I am not crazy about the idea.

It's this exact silliness as to why I figured the Vikes would do the un-creative thing and just resign Cousins. The simple fact is that money is the easiest thing to find in the NFL when assembling a roster. What is hard to find is young controllable talent because for that you need a stash of draft picks to do. And here we are going the other way on that dept.

QB always complicates pumps up those trade chart values.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could definitely see the Giants drafting McCarthy or even the Jets considering it and having him sit and learn for a year. Both teams really need to look at 2025 and beyond because they really have nothing right now in the QB room for the future. Of course, both those franchises are poorly ran so they may go something totally different. The Giants do need a lot on the offensive side as well. Arguably the worst WR room in the league right now or at least, in the conversation.

I don't know about the Jets. They will try to add as much firepower as they can for now, trying to go all in around ARod. I would expect the pick to be top 3 WR or Bowers at 10.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Vikings should just wait until pick 11, why trade up when it’s likely that Williams/Daniels/Maye will go 1-2-3 and i don’t see any other team taking a QB until the Vikings pick. So why trade up when the same guys will still be available at #11? Doesn’t make sense

It depends on whether you think anyone will try to leapfrog them at 11 (or if the Giants will consider taking 1 at 6. If you're fine with any of JJ/Nix/Penix, sure you can wait. I doubt teams will look at it that way though, they will want their preferred guy.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fascinating. Whenever I bring up DT's chart, it's the exact same layout as above, but it's showing the old Jimmy Johnson formula, ie, the 1st pick is worth 3000, 2nd worth 2600 and so on. Thanks for this updated version - fewer points to mess with.

It's just a guideline anyway. Some teams will need more to move off their pick if someone they really like is there. Other teams may take less if they don't like the options and don't want to "reach" (which is subjective anyway), or need to add picks.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Vikings should just wait until pick 11, why trade up when it’s likely that Williams/Daniels/Maye will go 1-2-3 and i don’t see any other team taking a QB until the Vikings pick. So why trade up when the same guys will still be available at #11? Doesn’t make sense

What about Denver or LV? Do you think they potentially take QB in the 1st round? They are sitting at picks #12 and #13 in first round and does not take much to jump Vikings at #11 if they want to draft a QB.

IMO Vikings got the 2nd 1st round pick this year to ensure they get a QB they have targeted and will move up to ensure they get their QB. Unsure what they give up or how much they give up... but they have the ammo to outbid others based on draft picks in this years draft.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about the Jets. They will try to add as much firepower as they can for now, trying to go all in around ARod. I would expect the pick to be top 3 WR or Bowers at 10.
Can't use them if he's running around again. They need to go OL.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently now there are reports that the Redskins owner really likes and prefers JJ McCarthy with the #2 overall :pound:

You can't make this stuff up. Next Thursday might be quite amusing.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Denver or LV? Do you think they potentially take QB in the 1st round? They are sitting at picks #12 and #13 in first round and does not take much to jump Vikings at #11 if they want to draft a QB.

IMO Vikings got the 2nd 1st round pick this year to ensure they get a QB they have targeted and will move up to ensure they get their QB. Unsure what they give up or how much they give up... but they have the ammo to outbid others based on draft picks in this years draft.
It‘s a possibility, especially Denver, they could jump the Vikings, but I don’t think it’s worth trading away picks for move up for McCarthy/Penix/Nix. I think the Raiders will go O-Line with their first pick and roll with Minshew/O’Connell at QB this year. The Vikings just have other holes on their roster as well, particularly on defense, I just don’t think it would be smart to trade up for a QB that will most likely be their at 11.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a guideline anyway. Some teams will need more to move off their pick if someone they really like is there. Other teams may take less if they don't like the options and don't want to "reach" (which is subjective anyway), or need to add picks.
Exactly. By no means do I think the chart is the end all to determining who should get what when it comes to trading draft capital. Generally speaking, I think a team trading up should probably give a bit more than what the guideline calls for.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well if Bronco's or Raiders try to move up, I would think the team they try to trade with would check with the Vikings to see if they want to top it. Having those two firsts in their pocket is nice leverage.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For depth? Seems a bit aggressive at #10. They already added LT and RT thru FA.
Hate to lose 2 years in a row for the same reason. Tyron Smith isn't going to play all 17 or be there next year.

Reactions: DJ

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For depth? Seems a bit aggressive at #10. They already added LT and RT thru FA.
Tyron Smith signed for 1 year and will most likely play 8-10 games....drafting an OT will ensure they have a replacement for when he misses games and a future starter....

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyron Smith signed for 1 year and will most likely play 8-10 games....drafting an OT will ensure they have a replacement for when he misses games and a future starter....

Sure. There's more than 1 round in the draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Bronco's or Raiders try to move up, I would think the team they try to trade with would check with the Vikings to see if they want to top it. Having those two firsts in their pocket is nice leverage.

Now rumors are Raiders and Penix are linked. I think Penix is going in the teens. He shattered the combine... before the Championship game he was borderline top 10 anyway... everyone keeps saying, "Get him in the 2nd round" I think he'll be long gone. I don't think he'll make it past Pittsburgh if he drops.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly

Vikings have the leverage (excluding future picks)... but all it takes is 1 other team to want to move up (for QB or other position) and then that team will let the Vikings know someone is interested in their pick so Vikings can offer more draft capital to get their QB.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It‘s a possibility, especially Denver, they could jump the Vikings, but I don’t think it’s worth trading away picks for move up for McCarthy/Penix/Nix. I think the Raiders will go O-Line with their first pick and roll with Minshew/O’Connell at QB this year. The Vikings just have other holes on their roster as well, particularly on defense, I just don’t think it would be smart to trade up for a QB that will most likely be their at 11.

I do not know enough of the QB prospects so unsure where/when they should be drafted... but career in NFL as GM or coach is fairly short one if do not get the QB position filled properly, so that leads to position being over drafted.

If a team thinks the answer is there at QB in this draft and they can move up I expect they will try.

A lot of smokescreens this time of the year... maybe Vikings can sit and wait to get their QB which I am certain will be their first pick, but not going to be suprised if they have to move up, at this point somewhat expecting it based on all the noise (which could be smokescreens).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not know enough of the QB prospects so unsure where/when they should be drafted... but career in NFL as GM or coach is fairly short one if do not get the QB position filled properly, so that leads to position being over drafted.

If a team thinks the answer is there at QB in this draft and they can move up I expect they will try.

A lot of smokescreens this time of the year... maybe Vikings can sit and wait to get their QB which I am certain will be their first pick, but not going to be suprised if they have to move up, at this point somewhat expecting it based on all the noise (which could be smokescreens).
The gist I get about the Vikings GM is that he needs to knock this draft out of the park or he is in a hot seat.

I think the Raiders are in 'win now' mode. Broncos in deep rebuild with job security. To me, this screams Vikings trade up for JJ McCarthy and Penix and Nix both are overhyped and fall. I could be wrong.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now rumors are Raiders and Penix are linked. I think Penix is going in the teens. He shattered the combine... before the Championship game he was borderline top 10 anyway... everyone keeps saying, "Get him in the 2nd round" I think he'll be long gone. I don't think he'll make it past Pittsburgh if he drops.

If they try to wait for the 2nd round for Penix, they don't really want him IMO.