• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Free agency and draft thread

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a good signing if he's ready to contribute. Coming off an Achilles tear shortly after coming back from an ACL, I have my concerns. It's a 1 year deal, so they could be paying him to basically rehab before potentially losing him a year from now. I figure this means Witherspoon isn't coming back, since they have Darious and 3 more recently drafted CBs already on the roster.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK....but no questions with the older, slower, smaller OBJ?

in 2019? That should've been OBJ in his prime, 26 at the time of the trade. That was a draft where only 1 WR went in the 1st round (Marquise Brown).

If you're going to play this game, why Metcalf? That 2nd round pick could also have been AJ Brown. Remember, guys like Hardman, Arcega-Whiteside, Parris Campbell, and Isabella also went before Metcalf. If they were targeting OBJ (a decidedly different style WR) they may have gone with Dionte or one of the above instead of more physical receivers like Metcalf or Brown.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeudy sucks. Some of these guys don't watch. They just read twitter.

Even while the game is on their TV, they are sitting their reading twitter instead lol. Sad.
He's basically a #3 or #4 WR at this point.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in 2019? That should've been OBJ in his prime, 26 at the time of the trade. That was a draft where only 1 WR went in the 1st round (Marquise Brown).

If you're going to play this game, why Metcalf? That 2nd round pick could also have been AJ Brown. Remember, guys like Hardman, Arcega-Whiteside, Parris Campbell, and Isabella also went before Metcalf. If they were targeting OBJ (a decidedly different style WR) they may have gone with Dionte or one of the above instead of more physical receivers like Metcalf or Brown.
All fair but just going by what I remembered thinking at the time before we got OBJ.....that I'd have liked getting DK with our pick. admittedly, as a fan was not based off much as I don't watch film, talk to players, etc.

But either way our GM was more like a fan and cared about name more than fit....likely why KC and Browns have kicked him to the curb and best job he has had since is as a lackey in Detroit.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2/20 vs 5/150 and Clowney had more sacks last year

Well... that was the Ravens though who had a great defense and a coach that got a lot more out of guys than most coaches would due to the schemes he did. Clowney is going from a competent organization to the fuckin' Panthers. I imagine Clowney may just mail it in with no motivation knowing the team wont go anywhere.

As for Burns... that's another questionable move... I think Burns is a little overrated but the attraction is he's only 25, so he can improve... The trade was obviously a win for the Giants since Burns was rumored in the past to collect a 1st rounder, but I dunno about that 5 year $150M contract.... Not to mention the Giants are expected to suck for the next 2 years so what was the point of this?

It's like a NET C-/D+ grade for the Giants... while they didn't give up much in draft for a upcoming decent EDGE, they gave up a huge as F contract. Is Burns the SECOND best EDGE in the league? Cause that's what he's being paid. What's even more puzzling, is the Giants are not gonna be ready to compete until Burns is probably halfway through that contract where he may just have said, "Eh fuck this." and given up, so again what was the point?

As for the Panthers... the whole scenario is kind of a C grade as well.. they gave up Burns for cheap... and then signed Clowney to $10M per... I mean, maybe Clowney will try and care, but there's also a chance he mails it in.. especially now at 31.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well... that was the Ravens though who had a great defense and a coach that got a lot more out of guys than most coaches would due to the schemes he did. Clowney is going from a competent organization to the fuckin' Panthers. I imagine Clowney may just mail it in with no motivation knowing the team wont go anywhere.

As for Burns... that's another questionable move... I think Burns is a little overrated but the attraction is he's only 25, so he can improve... The trade was obviously a win for the Giants since Burns was rumored in the past to collect a 1st rounder, but I dunno about that 5 year $150M contract.... Not to mention the Giants are expected to suck for the next 2 years so what was the point of this?

It's like a NET C-/D+ grade for the Giants... while they didn't give up much in draft for a upcoming decent EDGE, they gave up a huge as F contract. Is Burns the SECOND best EDGE in the league? Cause that's what he's being paid. What's even more puzzling, is the Giants are not gonna be ready to compete until Burns is probably halfway through that contract where he may just have said, "Eh fuck this." and given up, so again what was the point?

As for the Panthers... the whole scenario is kind of a C grade as well.. they gave up Burns for cheap... and then signed Clowney to $10M per... I mean, maybe Clowney will try and care, but there's also a chance he mails it in.. especially now at 31.

I don't know, they got a cheaper and arguably more productive short term option, a 2024 2nd and a 2025 5th in the exchange. I think they did fine personally. Evero is the Panthers DC and no slouch himself.

Burns is essentially a 50 tackle, 10 sack guy per 17 games
Clowney is a 50 tackle, but much more hit or miss sacks wise, only averaging 3 per 17.

That's the difference between 10m and 30m. They will still be looking Edge in the draft, now with an extra 2nd rounder to work with.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers were #4 in yards allowed, but 4th worst in points allowed at least partially due to their -9 TO ratio.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, they got a cheaper and arguably more productive short term option, a 2024 2nd and a 2025 5th in the exchange. I think they did fine personally. Evero is the Panthers DC and no slouch himself.

Burns is essentially a 50 tackle, 10 sack guy per 17 games
Clowney is a 50 tackle, but much more hit or miss sacks wise, only averaging 3 per 17.

That's the difference between 10m and 30m. They will still be looking Edge in the draft, now with an extra 2nd rounder to work with.

Yah fair points... it's just a pretty meh grade for both teams when the dust all settled lol.

It's more that the Panthers could've gotten so much more if they moved on a year ago. I guess they thought they had something with Young and now since that looks like a colossal failure, they are clearing their books.

For the short term I would take Clowney over Burns (I think Clowney is a much better player)... it's just weird both these teams who will not be competing anytime soon made these moves. Maybe the thought is Clowney can help the younger guys (but he's lacked motivation before, I doubt he's going to give it his all on the Panthers lol). As for the Giants... it's also weird. Burns is not what I'd call ELITE... he's good but I wouldn't say he can take over a game, but he's being paid like he can on a team that isn't going anywhere either in the next couple years lol.

I get he's young so he can improve and he'll get Lawrence in NY (one of the better DTs) to partner with... but meh?

Like if the Rams gave Clowney this contract... that would at least make sense because while I don't know if the Rams can go deep in the playoffs, they made it last year, had a great draft, and certainly should be anticipating a playoff spot.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted the Rams to take a look at Clowney, but they didn't. They didn't address edge or DT in free agency yet (and the pickings are slim). On to the draft....!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted the Rams to take a look at Clowney, but they didn't. They didn't address edge or DT in free agency yet (and the pickings are slim). On to the draft....!

You guys should have some decent options in the draft, the late 1st is pretty deep at DT/EDGE. If you guys get Latu I'll be annoyed as I think he will be the best EDGE in this class. His health is obviously a concern, but yah...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Got Clowney a lot cheaper than Burns.

I mean the one thing is Burns is about 5-6 years younger... so there's more upside and Clowney is probably on the downside of his career.

That said, I don't know why the Giants wanted Burns to begin with because they're prob. not going to be relevant for another 2-3 years unless they just strike gold in the draft. In my post above I graded it more favorably for the Panthers because it's obvious Burns was just gonna leave anyway, at least they got SOMETHING for him lol... but it could've more last year (prob. a 1st and future 2nd).

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the one thing is Burns is about 5-6 years younger... so there's more upside and Clowney is probably on the downside of his career.

That said, I don't know why the Giants wanted Burns to begin with because they're prob. not going to be relevant for another 2-3 years unless they just strike gold in the draft. In my post above I graded it more favorably for the Panthers because it's obvious Burns was just gonna leave anyway, at least they got SOMETHING for him lol... but it could've more last year (prob. a 1st and future 2nd).
The Rams offered the Panthers 2 1st rounders a year ago.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good signing if he's ready to contribute. Coming off an Achilles tear shortly after coming back from an ACL, I have my concerns. It's a 1 year deal, so they could be paying him to basically rehab before potentially losing him a year from now. I figure this means Witherspoon isn't coming back, since they have Darious and 3 more recently drafted CBs already on the roster.
Low risk, high reward signing.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams offered the Panthers 2 1st rounders a year ago.

Is that more than a rumor though? It seems to be in the area of Schroder's supposed big contract offer that he turned down.