• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Draft & FA. Where do we start?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Zimmer’s Defensive Scheme and Personnel Overview​

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I’ve seen enough of Jerry and Stephen’s way of doing it
well this we can agree with.
Many Qbs worse than Dak has made it to the Super Bowls.
Until we fix our defense instead of saying this is good enough.
Wont matter who our QB is.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we wont have to worry about actual 75 mil per year, but the alternative of paying Dak.
If we pay a bunch of other stars & play with a back up QB we might not even make the playoffs.

The idea of simply saying the QB position is gonna cost to much, so lets just start over with the most important position in football is absurd to me.
You have two choices. First choice is pay a QB who is pretty good and probably top 10 $55M per year and more than likely continue to have every season end in disappointment. Second choice is try something different that allows us to use a crap ton of salary elsewhere and likely also ends in disappointment but at least gets out from what will be a horrid contract that will be on the books for a minimum of 5 more years. Everyone gets to choose their preferred path. Personally I’ve seen enough of Jerry and Stephen’s way of doing it to know all it does is end with 5 more seasons of disappointment and most importantly, we then start over any way.

the league is no longer like it once was where starting QBs were hard to find. Every year now vets change teams and teams are able to find decent new QBs pretty much every year And often teams realize you are better with a decent QB who cost almost nothing than you are with a $55M QB who cripples your cap and is good enough to give you hope but not good enough to seal the deal.

The playoff first round winners from last year:
detroit - QB was in 3rd year with team after trading their franchise qb
Tampa bay - QB was in first year with team after franchise qb retired
GB - QB was in first year as starter after losing franchise qb
KC - QB is an all time legend worth $75M plus per year
Buffalo - QB in 6th year with team
Houston - QB was in first year

byes
SF - QB in 2nd year and was last pick of draft
balt - QB in 6th year

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have two choices. First choice is pay a QB who is pretty good and probably top 10 $55M per year and more than likely continue to have every season end in disappointment. Second choice is try something different that allows us to use a crap ton of salary elsewhere and likely also ends in disappointment but at least gets out from what will be a horrid contract that will be on the books for a minimum of 5 more years. Everyone gets to choose their preferred path. Personally I’ve seen enough of Jerry and Stephen’s way of doing it to know all it does is end with 5 more seasons of disappointment and most importantly, we then start over any way.

the league is no longer like it once was where starting QBs were hard to find. Every year now vets change teams and teams are able to find decent new QBs pretty much every year And often teams realize you are better with a decent QB who cost almost nothing than you are with a $55M QB who cripples your cap and is good enough to give you hope but not good enough to seal the deal.

byes
balt - QB in 6th year
Sorry for double post

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well this we can agree with.
Many Qbs worse than Dak has made it to the Super Bowls.
Until we fix our defense instead of saying this is good enough.
Wont matter who our QB is.
That is Exactly the point. Many QBs worse than Dak have made it to the SB indeed

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

byes
balt - QB in 6th year
It is still not easy to find a franchise QB. All those ones you mentioned, except Mahomes, have won what exactly???

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mike Zimmer’s Defensive Scheme and Personnel Overview​

I just love everything I read and remember about Zimmer

The defense has so much talent (to go along with some glaring issues). We just really must figure out DT and LB. How many teams have two All Pro Corners and Lewis was pretty good last year and in 2022 before the injury as well. We have perhaps the best defensive player in the league and a bookend who had a hell of a year on the opposite side at his age. our safety play is pretty good at both spots even if lacking a real playmaker.

Osa is a really solid DT but not a game wrecking 3tech that helps make a defense dominant. Hankins was really just about average to be honest but because of how poor the rest of our 1techs are he looked like a star. It’s crazy that I am more interested in seeing how our 7th rounder does as a 1tech than Mazi Because until I see he has the strength to play the position in the NFL I don’t really have high expectations. LB is just a crazy wild card. If Kendricks can do a good job as the Mike and be a teacher and role model for Clark who should be better in year 3 and either Overshown or the rookie plays well enough to just be an adequate starter, we could be ok there.

so that’s the optimistic view and perhaps also the most likely view for this defense.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is still not easy to find a franchise QB. All those ones you mentioned, except Mahomes, have won what exactly???
I'm still in belief that Dak will get a new deal not go somewhere else.
Dallas doesnt know how to give up & start over.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense has so much talent (to go along with some glaring issues). We just need to figure out DT and LB. How many teams have two All Pro Corners and Lewis was pretty good last year and in 2022 before the injury as well. We have perhaps the best defensive player in the league and a bookend who had a hell of a year on the opposite side at his age. our safety play is pretty good at both spots even if lacking a real playmaker.

Osa is a really solid DT but not a game wrecking 3tech that helps make a defense dominant. Hankins was really just about average to be honest but because of how poor the rest of our 1techs are he looked like a star. It’s crazy that I am more interested in seeing how our 7th rounder does as a 1tech than Mazi Because until I see he has the strength to play the position in the NFL I don’t really have high expectations. LB is just a crazy wild card. If Kendricks can do a good job as the Mike and be a teacher and role model for Clark who should be better in year 3 and either Overshown or the rookie plays well enough to just be an adequate starter, we could be ok there.

so that’s the optimistic view and perhaps also the most likely view for this defense.
Zimmer has kept defenses around top ten with less. So if anyone is looking for optimism there's that.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More games in the playoffs than us last year. The point is that IMO you either have an elite QB and pay them or you move on When it’s time to give your pretty good QB $55M.

in the last 10 years only 3 SBs were won by a QB other than Brady or Mahomes and one of those was Manning. So you have 7 SBs out of 10 won by all time elite legend QBs of which Dak is not an d never will be and the other two go back to my point. One was won by Stafford who was in his first year with a new team and the other Foles who wasn’t even the starter.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just love everything I read and remember about Zimmer

The defense has so much talent (to go along with some glaring issues). We just really must figure out DT and LB. How many teams have two All Pro Corners and Lewis was pretty good last year and in 2022 before the injury as well. We have perhaps the best defensive player in the league and a bookend who had a hell of a year on the opposite side at his age. our safety play is pretty good at both spots even if lacking a real playmaker.

DT I am concerned about the most. The secondary is among the best..LB core upgraded. The defensive ends are real good because of Parsons.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zimmer has kept defenses around top ten with less. So if anyone is looking for optimism there's that.
Zimmer has got some pieces to work with that is for sure. I was not a big fan of Quinn using safeties as linebackers. From the get go Quinn was doing that. That only works if you get a big lead and the other team has to throw the ball. Someone else mentioned that big rookie defensive tackle Rogers. If he shows anything he will be getting lots of snaps. This will be a top 10 defense again.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

byes
balt - QB in 6th year
Its funny that we argue so much when I read your post here and agree with every single word lol

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT I am concerned about the most. The secondary is among the best..LB core upgraded. The defensive ends are real good because of Parsons.
I think resigning Hank and Gilmore would have been no Brainerd for this team for depth. If not Hank, choose another veteran 340+ pounder. DT is scary thin. LB looks better on paper, but that's also depending a ton on Overshown being completely healed and the rookie being able to contribute

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think resigning Hank and Gilmore would have been no Brainerd for this team for depth. If not Hank, choose another veteran 340+ pounder. DT is scary thin. LB looks better on paper, but that's also depending a ton on Overshown being completely healed and the rookie being able to contribute
it is being rumored we will still bring in a big Dt before the season. Dont know if the rumor has any teeth or not, but for what it is worth.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it is being rumored we will still bring in a big Dt before the season. Dont know if the rumor has any teeth or not, but for what it is worth.
I don't know why we wouldn't. Forget the bottom of the depth chart. Mazi is penciled in as a starter at this point. He would have to show me a Heck of a lot this summer before that would stick

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why we wouldn't. Forget the bottom of the depth chart. Mazi is penciled in as a starter at this point. He would have to show me a Heck of a lot this summer before that would stick
Mazi got a lot to prove. You have to wonder about the coaching staff and what they were thinking last year. I am hoping Rogers comes in and has a great camp in case Mazis struggles continue. The way Zimmer dl looks in the past he would have that huge guy at DT and sometimes even two and have fast linebacker that could go sideline to sidelines. All to stop the run. They need more depth at DT!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t hear that but I’m hoping it’s true. You can always find a guy to clog the middle if you are willing. Did you read this rumor somewhere?