• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Draft & FA. Where do we start?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beebe is supposed to grade out as the top Guard in the draft. As much as I want the Center position answered. I am inclined to believe. Maybe this man should play guard.
I liked the explanation UK gave somewhere in this thread about the OL lineup.
but then.
The question would remain. How do we address the Center position?
Not likely to find a quality FA after the draft.

So with Rumors of moving the top Guard to Center who hasnt played the position before. I have to question. Is this rumor simply because everyone knows we need a Center? (& are false)

Lots to ponder.
I know PDay face palmed what I said about the Cowboys possibly leaving Beebe at LG, kicking Tyler to LT, moving Guyton to RT and moving off Steele. But they are either doing just that or they are moving Beebe to C. Otherwise, they just spent a 3rd rounder on TSmith and Martin's backup guard

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost up in the 6th. I think Daijun Edwards from Georgia is the best RB left. Gabe Hall, DL from Baylor is definitely worth a look here

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we can rest at WR now.
Beer Drinking GIF by Busch

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know PDay face palmed what I said about the Cowboys possibly leaving Beebe at LG, kicking Tyler to LT, moving Guyton to RT and moving off Steele. But they are either doing just that or they are moving Beebe to C. Otherwise, they just spent a 3rd rounder on TSmith and Martin's backup guard
I think Beebe will be put at Center in training camp to compete with Hoffman. Beebe is simply better IMO. Then Bass and Hoffman are the interior backups. It the only thing that makes sense. They just paid Steele,so I doubt they move on from him. Steele hopefully is fully recovered and returns to form.

But this organization could make Beebe a backup because they are that stupid. Beebe IMO is already one of the top five offensive lineman on the roster. This line is going to be very physical. Biadaz did ok, but he never was able to impose his will on the opposition..

Beebe is going to maul people. This will also help Smith and Martin. Having a road grader at Center matters. Look at what happened to the run game after Frederick got sick. It was never the same.

Not saying that Bass or Hoffman stink. They showed last year they belong on an NFL roster. I had thoughts last year that they should have moved Biadaz to the bench.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Nathan Thomas kid they took in round 7. I thought he would have come off a round or two earlier. Has some Tyler Smith potential(down the road). Big, strong as Hell, pretty good athlete

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Beebe will be put at Center in training camp to compete with Hoffman. Beebe is simply better IMO. Then Bass and Hoffman are the interior backups. It the only thing that makes sense. They just paid Steele,so I doubt they move on from him. Steele hopefully is fully recovered and returns to form.

But this organization could make Beebe a backup because they are that stupid. Beebe IMO is already one of the top five offensive lineman on the roster. This line is going to be very physical. Biadaz did ok, but he never was able to impose his will on the opposition..

Beebe is going to maul people. This will also help Smith and Martin. Having a road grader at Center matters. Look at what happened to the run game after Frederick got sick. It was never the same.

Not saying that Bass or Hoffman stink. They showed last year they belong on an NFL roster. I had thoughts last year that they should have moved Biadaz to the bench.
Beebe has to be the C. The only reason I brought up the other scenario was because its the only scenario where Beebe isn't the C. He isn't beating out Smith or Martin and he is too good to be a backup. I think he will crush center. BIG question for me is a rookie Guyton at LT. Gonna find out

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early free agent verbal agreements: Out of the gate...looks to be for LB's who tackled in college.

• Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE, Minnesota: A big-bodied tight end that excelled at the Senior Bowl, Spann-Ford is easily one of the top run-blocking tight ends in the draft class with his 6-foot-6, 250-pound frame. While his receiving production from his time at Minnesota was limited, he showed possession ability in Mobile at the Senior Bowl. (Reported by Tom Pelissero of NFL Network)
  • Jason Johnson, LB, UCF: After producing a 100-tackle season at Eastern Illinois in 2021, Johnson transferred to UCF and posted 240 tackles over the course of two seasons for the Knights on his way to becoming a Second-Team All Big 12 selection. A run-stopper with decisive downhill ability, Johnson was one of the top undrafted linebacker options. (Reported by the University of Central Florida)
  • Brock Mogenson, LB, South Dakota: Another linebacker with back-to-back 100-plus tackle seasons to end his college career, Mogenson is another downhill attacker that will take his 6-foot-2, 235-pound frame into running lanes. (Reported by Ryan Fowler of Bleacher Report)

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 rounds (4 players) down and 4 rounds to go. Let's see what day 3 brings. I was really happy after Beebe that we got bigger and stronger and IMO took 3 players that if they pan out will all help us to be the bullies in the playoffs instead of the ones getting bullied. I really wish we could have that last pick back. Everywhere I read it's about him needing to clean up the missed tackles, tricked by misdirection and not great instincts/reads. Also looks very violent and aggressive which I like. Obviously they like something about him but in the 3rd round you look for guy you expect to at least compete as a day 1 starter. Does he seem like this? Obviously everyone kept passing on Wilson for a reason. Maybe it's the injury history because he seems like a much better prospect than Liufau. But, I've cried about getting LBers for a few years now so I have to at least be happy they took one. With Kendricks definitely starting this year and Clark and Overshown with the inside track at starting I guess they are thinking specialty/role player year one with the potential to be a starter in year 2 and beyond. If we took Wilson would he really start year 1 either? Not sure so maybe this is a better long term pick? This will be a guy I watch and root for in camp and hope he turns some heads and looks like a player.

Brugler:
15. MARIST LIUFAU | Notre Dame
STRENGTHS:
Checks boxes for his frame, arm length and play strength...first-step acceleration and always-revving motor get him to his destination quicker than theETA...competes with an aggressive mentality and bangs with offensive linemen without hesitation...shows a basic understanding of read concepts and plays gap- sound in the run game ... effective blitzer and shows a ton of downhill force ... blood -thirsty tackler and willingly throws his body around to leave his mark on the ball carrier ... his grit and urgency are on display each play ... uses his hands well to rough up tight ends early in their routes ... started 25 straight games after coming back from his major ankle injury in 2021.

WEAKNESSES: Frenetic eyes lead to wasted steps and missed plays ... missteps in space diminish his leverage as an alley defender ... can be manipulated by motions and backfield action ... put too many missed tackles on his 2023 film and needs to break down with better wrap -up timing/control ... scouts appreciate his eagerness as a tackler, but he must become smarter or he will pile up roughing and late hit penalties from NFL officials ... plays with m ore confidence downhill with limited off- ball coverage production ... undeveloped anticipation as a zone dropper (90.9 percent of plays when he was targeted resulted in an offensive completion in 2023) ... suffered a broken right ankle and fibula (August 2021) and required season-ending surgery ... averaged only 3.8 tackles per game the last two seasons.

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Notre Dame, Liufau played Will linebacker in head coach Marcus Freeman’s 4 -2-5 base scheme. After a broken ankle sidelined him for the 2021 season, he ripped off 25 straight starts to finish his Irish career and was often the most en ergetic player on the field. With his closing burst and physicality, Liufau plays through contact well and punches above his weight class when working downhill. His explosive energy helps him cover a lot of ground in a hurry, although he needs to play with better anticipation and control to be a playmaker in coverage and as a tackler. Overall, Liufau has intriguing traits with his length, burst and violence, but he must improve his play instincts to balance out his relentless play style. He should shine as a “core four” special teamer in the NFL while he gets coached up for a chance at meaningful defensive snaps (similar to the Las Vegas Raiders’ Divine Deablo).
GRADE: 5th-6th Round

Bleacher Report:
POSITIVES
— Good size and frame with long arms and solid movement skills overall.
— Shows good eye discipline and peripheral vision to locate threats coming into his area when playing zone.
— Can be an effective blitzer with a decent hand-swipe move and the change of direction and agility to get pressure as the looper on line games.
— Takes on blocks with his hands and is physical at the point of attack against the run.

NEGATIVES
— Questionable instincts. Freezes and will get caught out of position versus zone runs, and has slow run-pass transitions versus play action.
— Lacks functional strength to hold his ground when taking on blocks against offensive linemen.
— Angles are too shallow versus outside runs, limiting his range.
— Has bad habits when tackling. Will be too high with his pad level and dive at ankles, which will lead to more misses in the NFL.

OVERALL
Marist Liufau could be a solid backup/rotational linebacker in the NFL. He has a good frame with at least decent movement skills to help in coverage, and he has experience playing multiple linebacker spots in college, giving him some positional versatility. He's also a solid pass-rusher for an off-ball 'backer, which adds more value to his résumé.
Liufau's biggest issue is a lack of functional strength, which shows up the most against the run. He's already about 240 pounds, which is big for a modern linebacker, and he doesn't have much room for growth on his frame. In other words, he might already be tapped out in that area of his game.
Overall, Liufau likely will have to prove himself on special teams to begin his NFL career, but he can be a decent depth piece on Day 3 of the draft.

Draft Network:
Strengths:
  • Smart
  • Coverage in shallow areas
  • Alignment versatility
  • Willing blitzer
Concerns:
  • Athleticism
  • Play strength vs. run
  • Open-field tackling
  • Pursuit angles
Film Analysis:

Marist Liufau is an experienced linebacker that aligned primarily as the ‘MIKE’ in the Notre Dame defense. Quick first step downhill in the run but is often incorrect in his run fit. Will also delay engagement with opposing linemen when the alley is vacant. Play strength lacks when asked to engage/disengage in one-on-one opportunities. In space, Liufau is active and consistently around the football. As a blitzer, Liufau lacks a pass-rush repertoire but showcases an innate ability to ID vacant rush lanes from the second level. Pursuit angles can be inconsistent where a lack of foot speed can quickly see him chasing a play.

In coverage, Liufau is comfortable in space but is someone whose projection looks muddied as a true three-down stalwart at LB. Instincts hurt Liufau at times versus RPO where he will lose depth to counter crossers behind his head. Open-field tackling needs improvement at this time in his evaluation (Ohio State). Excellent inside the contact window versus RBs and TEs where his quick hands will often jolt opposing players. Showcases good body placement to reroute opposing pass-catchers on short-yardage situations, as well. Allowed just 62 yards on 10 catches (11 targets) in 2023.

Overall, Liufau is a high-motor defender whose experience could pave the way for snaps within a defensive structure that values depth at the linebacker position. His 335 career snaps on special teams showcase a potential multi-phase contributor.

Prospect Projection: Day 3 — Role Specific
We got C grade by someone. Eek