• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Begins Today

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe that an individual contract supercedes the league and CBA rules. From everything I've read and heard, the Patriots still must follow the Rooney Rule and interview two minority candidate outside of the Patriots' organization before they can hire anyone to be HC.
Doesn't the league sign off on all contracts? Or just players? Asking for a friend.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't the league sign off on all contracts? Or just players? Asking for a friend.
Yep. They did. Wasn't 100% sure of it actually being in his contract in ink.
According to the legal guy at UNH who is the sports law expert, it was in ink, the league accepted it and iut does supercede the league and CBA rules.

You are correct.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kraft promotes Mayo, a minority, doesn't that in and of itself satisfy the goal of the Rooney Rule?

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am okay with this

I hope he does well. I’m not even sure what kind of offense he runs. I know it was the Browns defense that got them into the playoffs. But the offense still had to score which they did. All without their starting QB and stud RB. I guess time will tell. At least it’s new blood outside the normal Patriots coaches.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he does well. I’m not even sure what kind of offense he runs. I know it was the Browns defense that got them into the playoffs. But the offense still had to score which they did. All without their starting QB and stud RB. I guess time will tell. At least it’s new blood outside the normal Patriots coaches.
This.

For some reason I see quick short passes, WRs that can bring YAC, and a solid run attack

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Pelt is a Shanahan Disciple with a Bill Walsh wrinkle.

You can piss on this decision all you want but facts are facts.

He was the fall guy for idiot ownership in Cleveland.

His offense won in 2023 with.......................

Four different QBs from Watson to Flacco
The best RB in the league out (Chubb)
Having to go five deep at LT and six deep at RT.

AND they almost scored 50 points in a losing effort in the WC playoff.

The guy is an excellent QB coach and mentor (He was a QB with Bills for nine years).

He will replace Klemm with his OL coach who apparently can work miracles much like Scarneccia.

He's 53 and is a calming influence among the coaches.

He will turn this offense completely around in 2024.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Pelt is a Shanahan Disciple with a Bill Walsh wrinkle.

You can piss on this decision all you want but facts are facts.

He was the fall guy for idiot ownership in Cleveland.

His offense won in 2023 with.......................

Four different QBs from Watson to Flacco
The best RB in the league out (Chubb)
Having to go five deep at LT and six deep at RT.

AND they almost scored 50 points in a losing effort in the WC playoff.

The guy is an excellent QB coach and mentor (He was a QB with Bills for nine years).

He will replace Klemm with his OL coach who apparently can work miracles much like Scarneccia.

He's 53 and is a calming influence among the coaches.

He will turn this offense completely around in 2024.

Jesus Christ… do your damn homework. “Almost 50 points in the wild card game”. I guess 14 points is close to 50. That’s what they scored stud. 14 fucking points. Not almost 50.

Prove he was the “fall guy”. If he’s so damn good they wouldn’t use him as a fall guy. He was fired. Plain and simple.

Flacco was probably one of the top 10 QB’s when he played for them. Flacco carried that offense.

Van Pelt has been fired 3 times and not rehired after one of his contracts expired. Not great endorsements.

Last edited:

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prove he was the “fall guy”. If he’s so damn good they wouldn’t use him as a fall guy. He was fired. Plain and simple.
He and his staff were fired, can't disagree. But the offense was ripped to shreds by injuries. Flacco "became" a top 10 QB once he got to Cleveland because they adjusted the system for him like any veteran QB. If he was a top 10 before he would have stayed with the Jets and not been traded.,

Who else could the Browns fire? What about the HC? or the DC? Van Pelt was the easiest to point a finger at.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He and his staff were fired, can't disagree. But the offense was ripped to shreds by injuries. Flacco "became" a top 10 QB once he got to Cleveland because they adjusted the system for him like any veteran QB. If he was a top 10 before he would have stayed with the Jets and not been traded.,

Who else could the Browns fire? What about the HC? or the DC? Van Pelt was the easiest to point a finger at.

Still. Great coordinators don't get fired.

Regardless, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Not gonna lie, I'm glad we didn't rehire Skippy.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From different people it's being said that the Patriots interviewed 21 different people for the OC position. More than half supposedly said that they didn't think that they could rebuild such a mess in less than five years. Pretty much says that they didn't want to attempt that kind of challenge.
Others said that they could do it but had to have significant input into the next two/three drafts. Others just didn't fit. Like it or not, the young up and comers don't have much self-confidence or balls big enough to take on responsibility of a really tough job.

I'll accept a guy who's willing to stick his head in a noose like Foxboro.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From different people it's being said that the Patriots interviewed 21 different people for the OC position. More than half supposedly said that they didn't think that they could rebuild such a mess in less than five years. Pretty much says that they didn't want to attempt that kind of challenge.
Others said that they could do it but had to have significant input into the next two/three drafts. Others just didn't fit. Like it or not, the young up and comers don't have much self-confidence or balls big enough to take on responsibility of a really tough job.

I'll accept a guy who's willing to stick his head in a noose like Foxboro.

No disrespect but I don't believe that. We have the #3 pick, a great RB, and a bunch of money to spend in addition to an already solid defense and ownership that gives a shit. Add in a new young coach that appears to be respected. Seems like just the right situation for somebody to make a name for himself as OC.

A few pieces on offense and we've got a solid fucking team.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disrespect but I don't believe that. We have the #3 pick, a great RB, and a bunch of money to spend in addition to an already solid defense and ownership that gives a shit. Add in a new young coach that appears to be respected. Seems like just the right situation for somebody to make a name for himself as OC.

A defense that held good teams to 10 points or less.
If the offense had just scored they would have won.

That's with the two best CB's and the best pass rusher out for the season.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those guys may not see what you see and may know stuff none of us know.

I'm just repeating what's been said and being repeated on the tube.
a great RB
Stevenson averaged 41.6 yards a game in 2023, that ain't "great" and we don't know how well he'll come back from the ankle.

EE is free agent and isn't expected to be back.

Harris and Hasty are what's left.
Seems like just the right situation for somebody to make a name for himself as OC.
I'm more than willing to give Van Pelt a chance to show what he can do to fix this broken offense. Especially if they're going to let him bring in his own staff to work with OL, RB, WR and TE.