• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free Agents

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as it's at a bargain ( team friendly) for the Seahawks shouldn't discourage them from drafting the QB of the future.
I suppose, but taking a QB top 5 when you have a starter seems unorthodox these days.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as it's at a bargain ( team friendly) for the Seahawks shouldn't discourage them from drafting the QB of the future.
You've said 'bargain' a couple times now. What is your definition of that in the context of signing Geno? The team should be trying to get the best deal they can (as should Geno), but thinking they can do a Jedi mind trick and get Geno to stay for some low ball number just isn't realistic. I doubt he gets $40M/yr from anyone, but he's also not going to jump at something less than half of that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've said 'bargain' a couple times now. What is your definition of that in the context of signing Geno? The team should be trying to get the best deal they can (as should Geno), but thinking they can do a Jedi mind trick and get Geno to stay for some low ball number just isn't realistic. I doubt he gets $40M/yr from anyone, but he's also not going to jump at something less than half of that.

He will come in under the transition tag of about 30 million. High 20s is my guess

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno is a bridge QB and if the market gives him more than bridge QB pay, then so be it. Some other team is welcomed to give him 30 million. Only 15 QBs that made more than 20 million last year and a lot of them were not worth it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno is a bridge QB and if the market gives him more than bridge QB pay, then so be it. Some other team is welcomed to give him 30 million. Only 15 QBs that made more than 20 million last year and a lot of them were not worth it.
So what would you find to be an acceptable contract?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will come in under the transition tag of about 30 million. High 20s is my guess
Yeah, I'm thinking AAV will be around $30M but with some fluff on the back end.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what would you find to be an acceptable contract?
Under 25 million per year (under 20 would be better) and the ability to get out from under the contract after the first year.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under 25 million per year (under 20 would be better) and the ability to get out from under the contract after the first year.
Under 20 is not going to happen. 25 would be pretty darn good. I would think a 4 year deal with the deal being tough to get out of until year 3

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to embrace the reality that this is going to be a new QB contract, and the freshest ones are almost always viewed as an overpay at the time they're signed because of how the structure of the deal tends to inflate the AAV. You say there were 15 QBs who made over $20M this season (I assume you meant 2022); that checks out from what I found, but it's also true that there were only 7 QBs with a cap number > $20M. Several ways to look at it I guess. Some players are not worth the $, just like many players don't end up being worth a 1st round pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to embrace the reality that this is going to be a new QB contract, and the freshest ones are almost always viewed as an overpay at the time they're signed because of how the structure of the deal tends to inflate the AAV. You say there were 15 QBs who made over $20M this season (I assume you meant 2022); that checks out from what I found, but it's also true that there were only 7 QBs with a cap number > $20M. Several ways to look at it I guess. Some players are not worth the $, just like many players don't end up being worth a 1st round pick.
A lot of FA QBs this off season:

1673979215724.png

Couldn't get all of them in on one screen shot, but 38 of them. Now they do a market value for some, so I took a look:

1673979352814.png

No way do I want the Seahawks to pay that. Took a look at Giants QB Jones who is also a FA:

1673979478203.png

Much rather give Jones 25 million than 39 to Geno. Geno is more in the Jimmy G range talent wise IMO only older and more mistake prone.
It would be a mistake to be tied to him more than a single season ( as insurance for the rookie). Those last 6 games is what you should expect to get from Geno and he'll decline from that soon. Seahawks need take a shot at a QB this draft. The sooner you pick one the better the odds of hitting, but they could still wait until 2nd or 3rd round to take that shot I suppose, but won't be the route I would take ( not that my route counts for anything). In any case Geno isn't the answer and I hope to God the Seahawks don't waste money that could be used better else where on the roster.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at the list of players....

And the players below 20 million are either rookie contracts or backups.

Geno, Lamar, Carr and Jimmy G will all get 25+ million. Maybe Jimmy might lower due to injury issues.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno should try to get the biggest contract he can, we all know each and every one of us would do the same.

If its more than is reasonable for us, then we have to let him go

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of FA QBs this off season:

View attachment 319208

Couldn't get all of them in on one screen shot, but 38 of them. Now they do a market value for some, so I took a look:

View attachment 319209

No way do I want the Seahawks to pay that. Took a look at Giants QB Jones who is also a FA:

View attachment 319210

Much rather give Jones 25 million than 39 to Geno. Geno is more in the Jimmy G range talent wise IMO only older and more mistake prone.
It would be a mistake to be tied to him more than a single season ( as insurance for the rookie). Those last 6 games is what you should expect to get from Geno and he'll decline from that soon. Seahawks need take a shot at a QB this draft. The sooner you pick one the better the odds of hitting, but they could still wait until 2nd or 3rd round to take that shot I suppose, but won't be the route I would take ( not that my route counts for anything). In any case Geno isn't the answer and I hope to God the Seahawks don't waste money that could be used better else where on the roster.
Geno isn't getting 39 million AAV

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at the list of players....

And the players below 20 million are either rookie contracts or backups.

Geno, Lamar, Carr and Jimmy G will all get 25+ million. Maybe Jimmy might lower due to injury issues.
The teams that signs them will all regret it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compared to drafting/finding a more cost effective QB that will deliver more bang for the buck.
Assuming that they pan out. And you have 4 years with a rookie to get that return before they hit the market.

So you have to pick your spot on drafting a QB. Because if your team is not good you are just wasting those seasons.

It has been the defense that has held this team back for the past 5-6 seasons. We have a couple of promising young players so it makes sense to finishing the rebuild.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Compared to drafting/finding a more cost effective QB that will deliver more bang for the buck.
the thing about geno is, he needs a strong supporting cast to succeed. There are a few teams out there that he would be a good fit for, panthers and jets to name a few. He would be a substantial upgrade over what they had this year and I think its premature to assume those teams would be making a mistake.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thing about geno is, he needs a strong supporting cast to succeed. There are a few teams out there that he would be a good fit for, panthers and jets to name a few. He would be a substantial upgrade over what they had this year and I think its premature to assume those teams would be making a mistake.
Most of the time it just doesn't work out. You mentioned the Panthers, they signed Bridgewater to big contract then eat it to get rid of him, then they traded for Darnold (2nd round pick) then they traded for Mayfield, then released him. They spent a lot of money, time and assets on second rate QBs and they are still looking.