• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free Agents

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. And if you run through the league, you have to wonder how many open QB camps there are.
Good rundown, with a couple rebuts:
Dolphins - Bit of a wild card. I could see them going for a backup with experiences like Dalton or Teddy or Brissett and hoping Tua can stay healthy
Yeah, like 3 concussions for Tua this year? Even if just 2, they were not good. Miami might be interested in an insurance plan. I doubt they would draft anyone early, but they might need a vet backup with Bridgewater a UFA.
Packers - Realistically I don't see how they can move off of Rodgers contract.
But what if he decides to retire? He has been a bit of a wildcard the last couple seasons, and I wouldn't put it past him. He's almost 40. His contract is also a bit wonky with some voidable years in there that I haven't fully read into.
7 teams 100% going for a new QB. Presumably, at least 3 of them will grab QBs in the draft. Maybe more. So those 4 other teams will be look at Jimmy G, Carr, and the rest of the pupu platter. So walking through it, I definitely could see a team taking a flyer on Lock. He won't get anything close to starter money. But he could get 5-10 million a year. I doubt the Hawks would match that.
Yeah, it's hard to imagine this team entertaining the idea of committing nearly $40M/yr to QB when they seemingly signaled to the world they wanted to move away from that strategy a year ago. That still seems like lots of teams needing an immediate starter, and also lots of starting experience QBs set to be on the market. Some of those teams may also draft a QB fairly early in addition to signing a mid level FA to cover them in the near term and down the road.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. And if you run through the league, you have to wonder how many open QB camps there are.

BIlls - All Set
Patriots - Probably set for next year at least.
Jets- 100% looking for a QB
Dolphins - Bit of a wild card. I could see them going for a backup with experiences like Dalton or Teddy or Brissett and hoping Tua can stay healthy
Ravens - Who knows?
Steelers - Probably set
Browns - All Set
Bengals - All Set
Titans - Up in the air. Good possibly look for a new QB but I doubt it
Texans - 100% looking for a QB
Colts - 100% looking for a QB
Jags - All Set
Chiefs - All Set
Chargers - All Set
Broncos - No real way they get off Russ next year even if he is cooked
Raiders - 100% looking for a new QB
Eagles - All Set
Redskins - 100% looking for a new QB
Giants - I think they resigned Dimes
Cowboys - All Set
Bears - Most likely all set
Vikings - Can't see them getting off of Cousins right now.
Lions - Goff more than did enough to stick around for next year.
Packers - Realistically I don't see how they can move off of Rodgers contract.
Saints - You have to assume they are looking for a new QB
Panthers - 100% looking for a new QB
Bucs - Seems like they are most likely looking for a new QB
Falcons - 100% need a QB
Niners - All Set
Rams - All Set
Cardinals - Can't see how they can move off of Murray
Seahawks - Geno most likely coming back.

7 teams 100% going for a new QB. Presumably, at least 3 of them will grab QBs in the draft. Maybe more. So those 4 other teams will be look at Jimmy G, Carr, and the rest of the pupu platter. So walking through it, I definitely could see a team taking a flyer on Lock. He won't get anything close to starter money. But he could get 5-10 million a year. I doubt the Hawks would match that.
Good breakdown of starting QBs around the league. I would quibble that the Rams are not all set since Stafford is breaking down and will be 35 and even before the injuries his arm seems to have lost some zip. They will be looking for a QB who can be the starter once Stafford has another injury. That could be Baker or Baker and a rookie QB to compete for "backup" or maybe they go a different route like signing Jimmy G. for example. Heck if Geno is a FA maybe they make him a offer,if for no other reason then to drive up the cost to the Seahawks to sign him. It seemed like the 49ers and Rams were taking this approach ( driving up cost) last season.
I think if the Seahawks ever thought Geno could be the answer at QB he would not of been on a one year contract in 2022.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good breakdown of starting QBs around the league. I would quibble that the Rams are not all set since Stafford is breaking down and will be 35 and even before the injuries his arm seems to have lost some zip. They will be looking for a QB who can be the starter once Stafford has another injury. That could be Baker or Baker and a rookie QB to compete for "backup" or maybe they go a different route like signing Jimmy G. for example. Heck if Geno is a FA maybe they make him a offer,if for no other reason then to drive up the cost to the Seahawks to sign him. It seemed like the 49ers and Rams were taking this approach ( driving up cost) last season.
I think if the Seahawks ever thought Geno could be the answer at QB he would not of been on a one year contract in 2022. Other than the Rams I think you nailed it.

The Rams are tricky in that they are likely going to suck for a while. They traded away a ton of draft picks and a lot of their stars are getting older. What's the point of them moving on to a new QB when Stafford won them a Super Bowl and they aren't likely to be getting back to one no matter what?

To be clear, I was really only referring to what teams will do for next year. The Rams don't have a 1st round pick. It just seems to me that sticking with Stafford for next year makes the most sense.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams are tricky in that they are likely going to suck for a while. They traded away a ton of draft picks and a lot of their stars are getting older. What's the point of them moving on to a new QB when Stafford won them a Super Bowl and they aren't likely to be getting back to one no matter what?

To be clear, I was really only referring to what teams will do for next year. The Rams don't have a 1st round pick. It just seems to me that sticking with Stafford for next year makes the most sense.
You make a good point, might be best for them to just take their lumps and have better draft position in 2024.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are two guys that would be #1 this year if they came out, plus several others that will be looked at as 1st rounders.

things can change of course, but building capital for next year is a reasonable option.
I'm always for adding draft capital when it's the right time to do it but this draft isn't the right time being gifted a top 5 pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always for adding draft capital when it's the right time to do it but this draft isn't the right time being gifted a top 5 pick.
Who you recommend the Seahawks draft if Carter, Anderson, Young and Stroud are off the board?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they really think that highly of Stroud, then I wouldn't be shocked to see them move up to get him. But I don't have any reason to believe that they are that high on him.

I'm skeptical of that though. I suspect that they are going to ride with Geno and try to rebuild the defense because it won't do any good to have a young stud QB if we have a bottom 5 defense.
Any coach who doesn't have a QoF would be looking into Young and Stroud and at 1.3 I definitely believe the FO drafts Stroud. At 1.5 Stroud won't be around and they're not going to give up draft capital to move up 2 spots. Makes more sense now to give Geno a contact and draft d-line.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Levis is on the board at 5 and a team thinks detroit might take him, we could net some pretty nice future picks from a desperate team.

Both seem very risky.

at that point I trade down, maybe to 7 or 8. we could still come out with murphy, tyree wilson, or bresee at that pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Levis is on the board at 5 and a team thinks detroit might take him, we could net some pretty nice future picks from a desperate team.
Or the Seahawks could draft him. Risky but his ceiling might be the highest in the draft.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or the Seahawks could draft him. Risky but his ceiling might be the highest in the draft.
if we resign Geno, I dont see any way we take a QB top 5.
if we plan on taking a QB top 5, then I dont see any way we resign Geno.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we resign Geno, I dont see any way we take a QB top 5.
if we plan on taking a QB top 5, then I dont see any way we resign Geno.
I feel unless the Seahawks can sign Geno at a bargain they don't sign him, if they do sign him for a bargain they will enhances the pool of QBs they can draft, as he won't have to start day 1.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

at that point I trade down, maybe to 7 or 8. we could still come out with murphy, tyree wilson, or bresee at that pick.
Colts/Raiders and Panthers are behind us in the draft so it's possible they could trade back.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I see your point. Who are you taking at 1.5?
Levis who is also a boom or bust type but his boom is way beyond what Murphy or Bresee has for a ceiling. He could end up being Seahawks franchise QB for the next decade.He's simply the BPA.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Levis who is also a boom or bust type but his boom is way beyond what Murphy or Bresee has for a ceiling. He could end up being Seahawks franchise QB for the next decade.He's simply the BPA.
what if we resign Geno?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what if we resign Geno?
As long as it's at a bargain ( team friendly) for the Seahawks shouldn't discourage them from drafting the QB of the future.