• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NBA Offseason thread

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I expect there will be, you may not like it though. I have no problem with any punishment imposed on rules breakers, doesn’t matter the team.
I’m fine with them losing a 2nd round pick. There’s evidence there to say the Sixers clearly started early when we had as much info on Tucker to the Sixers Pre-FA. You’re talking epic levels of penalties for a transgression that had three teams lose a 2nd round pick just last season. There’s been a precedent. There’s no reason to move off the precedent. This is how the game is played. Any team could have reached out to Tucker’s agent. You’re a fool if you think some of these GMs play it straight down the pike and follow the letter of the law. They all back channel. A lifetime as “rules first above all things” guy how have you not figured out that yet that cost/benefit analysis in our world entails deciding if the juice is worth the squeeze. Rules just become guidelines for those in power to navigate around.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d love a penalty for tanking

That’s harder to prove on some level
Yeah you have to be allowed to develop talent. No one should be forced into permanent mediocrity. The league has done a lot over the last decade by reducing the lottery percentages. We aren’t talking about teams winning single digit games anymore like the Sixers did.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah you have to be allowed to develop talent. No one should be forced into permanent mediocrity. The league has done a lot over the last decade by reducing the lottery percentages. We aren’t talking about teams winning single digit games anymore like the Sixers did.

There salsa legitimately poorly run teams like the early 2010s hornets or the 2013-14 bucks who tried to be a playoff team and ended up with the second pick

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a ridiculous line to draw. The Huckelfuck Sonics tank is every bit the same tank as the Sixers tank.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a ridiculous line to draw. The Huckelfuck Sonics tank is every bit the same tank as the Sixers tank.
You really suck at all things when rules are involved don’t you?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nets now want the Celtics entire starting line up + multiple first rounders for KD.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really suck at all things when rules are involved don’t you?

These crybabies are also assuming we’re saying just do it now and not…actually investigate

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These crybabies are also assuming we’re saying just do it now and not…actually investigate
And they act like professional organizations don’t expect teams to learn from others mistakes. If the punishment is always the same it’s really not a rule. Punishments have to get progressively harsher if shown not to be working.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there’s a penalty for talking to people early. There’s no penalty for tanking (unless you’re the Sixers). That’s way more impactful than having an early conversation with an agent.

These are 2 completely different issues. Tampering and tanking aren't even close to comparable. Not even in your ''everybody picks on my poor, oppressed Sixers'' narrative.

Seems like the Sixers kept sitting their high end draft picks every year and their tanking dragged on for longer than it should have. Compare that to the Cavs and Thunder who have been playing their kids.

James Harden suddenly agreeing to take just enough less to allow them to sign Tucker and House when he has never shown a willingness to do so before...could simply be that he finally understands that you have to make sacrifices to win rings...

but it also is going to be looked at suspiciously because it's outside the norm.

Having said that...the NBA needs to make up it's mind on tampering. Either they don't want it happening or they don't care that it happens.

If they want it stopped, then there should be strong penalties for it along the lines of what @thunderc suggested. They also need to start investigating when teams are announcing agreements with FA's 5 minutes after FA opens.

If they don't care, then they need to quit pretending they do by fining teams because some coach or FO said they think a player on another team is really good when asked about him in an interview.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are 2 completely different issues. Tampering and tanking aren't even close to comparable. Not even in your ''everybody picks on my poor, oppressed Sixers'' narrative.

Seems like the Sixers kept sitting their high end draft picks every year and their tanking dragged on for longer than it should have. Compare that to the Cavs and Thunder who have been playing their kids.

James Harden suddenly agreeing to take just enough less to allow them to sign Tucker and House when he has never shown a willingness to do so before...could simply be that he finally understands that you have to make sacrifices to win rings...

but it also is going to be looked at suspiciously because it's outside the norm.

Having said that...the NBA needs to make up it's mind on tampering. Either they don't want it happening or they don't care that it happens.

If they want it stopped, then there should be strong penalties for it along the lines of what @thunderc suggested. They also need to start investigating when teams are announcing agreements with FA's 5 minutes after FA opens.

If they don't care, then they need to quit pretending they do by fining teams because some coach or FO said they think a player on another team is really good when asked about him in an interview.

Completely agree all around.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you thunder and I are all on the same page

I do wonder if the reason it’s only a second is there’s no smoking gun.

Morey telling other agents in early June he’s got the full mle to play with is more than a lot of these.

I’m also curious about the rules here:

Can teams say, if this guy wants to sign with you, would you do this…

I honestly don’t know the rule on that

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I already explained why that’s the case. You don’t usually get the circumstance where the people in the know have a falling out and one of them presents all the evidence needed. That key piece of agents with knowledge selling out clients is never usually a component.
It was still the same offense. Just because one was gift wrapped for the league doesn't make it so much worse. 4 first round picks and gutted by sanctions vs one single 2nd round pick? Come on.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was still the same offense. Just because one was gift wrapped for the league doesn't make it so much worse. 4 first round picks and gutted by sanctions vs one single 2nd round pick? Come on.
And I haven’t even compared the level of wrong in any of my posts. It was a circumstance of the level of evidence they had. That’s where the discrepancy lies.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And there are different levels of tampering. The only thing they have the goods on with the Sixers is possibly early contact. That penalty is defined. The Harden stuff looks shady is likely to have no tangible evidence. It will exist as some long held rumor depending upon what both parties do after the 2022-23 season unless anyone involved was a complete fool and put shit in writing or electronic communication.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rules are rules and professional organizations have a right to expect their peers to follow them.
Every year there are a dozen deals announced within hours of FA being announced.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there are different levels of tampering. The only thing they have the goods on with the Sixers is possibly early contact. That penalty is defined. The Harden stuff looks shady is likely to have no tangible evidence. It will exist as some long held rumor depending upon what both parties do after the 2022-23 season unless anyone involved was a complete fool and put shit in writing or electronic communication.

That's why I think the league needs to either go all in and start doing real investigations or just shut the hell up and stop pretending to care.

Pretending to care by sort of ''cherry picking'' when to investigate and punish, they are opening themselves up to the very ''selective enforcement'' accusations you're making.

When you consider that part of why they are investigating the Sixers is because a veteran player, who has already made hundreds of millions of dollars, turned down what was probably less than what he made as a rookie, to help the team improve the roster he's going to be a big part of...while not investigating the Thunder when Russell Westbrook had a party to welcome PG to the team that started before FA and at which PG was introduced as a member of the Thunder...it's understandable that folks might have questions...

especially when you consider that Magic and the Lakers were fined for Magic's ''wink, wink, nod, nod'' comment about that same player.

At least if they pick a side they can do away with the selective enforcement accusations.