• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Beijing Winter Olympics thread

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do they grow carrots on landing slope of the ski jump hill?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Norwegian woman winning gold in cross-country?!?

U6ql.gif

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
medal hopes up in smoke
(honestly hope there is no backlash from dear leader)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finnish article.

Key points:
Marko Anttila, captain of Team Finland tested negative for COVID in Finland, but in China his test was deemed as an positive due to different requlations. He has been in full isolation for 18 days now, and China still hasn't given him permission to join Team Finland because by their standards, his tests are still positive.

Doctor of Team Finland and Jukka Jalonen, coach of Team Finland are both giving very strong critique for the Chinese rules and for their decision to keep Anttila still in isolation.

Jalonen said that you can't say Anttila is depressed, but he is in very low spirits. He is getting same food every day, and most of the time it's not even warmed up.

Jalonen finished his speech by saying "If I don't show up here anymore, then they (China) have taken me somewhere. But we have guys to replace me also if needed."

I still wish the Jackets had hired this guy instead of Larsen. There is speculation he (Jalonen) wanted the Olympics once more and is in play to replace Larsen next year.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBC: 2 hours of soft focus, fuzzy stories of adversity and non-stop reporting on one athlete in an event later
That Athlete in the event: *crash*

Seems like it happens every time. I would start to refuse the coverage if it was me.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBC: 2 hours of soft focus, fuzzy stories of adversity and non-stop reporting on one athlete in an event later
That Athlete in the event: *crash*

Seems like it happens every time. I would start to refuse the coverage if it was me.
I dont know why they can't just make it about the sport. I like sports. I like competition. That's why I watch competitive sports. That's why I watch the Olympics.

They instead focus on the outsid3 family life or background or whatever else they can find. If I wanted to watch drama or feel good stories or whatever I'd put on the lifetime network or the real housewives if wherever. Those people aren't watching the Olympics, so why do they tailor the coverage to them?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do they grow carrots on landing slope of the ski jump hill?
Snow is all white. On a bright sunny day, or even worse under bright lights from multiple sources and multiple directions it just looks flat white. There is zero visual clues to let you ha e any depth perception. It's hard during normal skiing, if you jump 2 feet in the air you know the ground is 2 feet below you. These jumps launch them off a cliff basically, not only are they thrown in the air, but the hill under them is cut away. Plus in the big air kind of ski jumps you're twisting and flipping your body, so you don't even have your eyes on the horizon to give you clues.

Long story short, if they didn't put down pine boughs people would be getting injured left and right, plus their tricks would be more boring.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know why they can't just make it about the sport. I like sports. I like competition. That's why I watch competitive sports. That's why I watch the Olympics.

They instead focus on the outsid3 family life or background or whatever else they can find. If I wanted to watch drama or feel good stories or whatever I'd put on the lifetime network or the real housewives if wherever. Those people aren't watching the Olympics, so why do they tailor the coverage to them?
This post pretty much says all that needs to be said.