• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Beijing Winter Olympics thread

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These Olympics appear to be cursed.
Winter Olympics on 100% fake snow in a country with no human rights. What could go wrong?

Looks like China said to the IOC, "give it to us or else".

Worst venue for a winter Olympics, ever!!!

Please let me know when they're over.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winter Olympics on 100% fake snow in a country with no human rights. What could go wrong?

Looks like China said to the IOC, "give it to us or else".

Worst venue for a winter Olympics, ever!!!

Please let me know when they're over.

I look at it like this...

Is Every Olympics perfect? No

But in a time of great division amongst all Nations. It something that, for a brief period of time, brings us all together and unites us.

I may be a dreamer but that us how I feel

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I may be a dreamer but that us how I feel

Me too... so I guess we can say you're a dreamer, but not the only one. ;)

It's why I can't watch a single one of these winter Olympics closing credits without welling up. The summer Olympics is fun, but the winter is the best. I think it's that I love mountain towns and also the scale is manageable to have a really good sense of everything going on.

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
China is concerned their men's hockey team is going to be terrible...

International hockey officials are hoping to avoid a Humiliation On Ice when the Chinese men’s national team debuts at the Beijing Winter Olympics.

They begged the NHL to send players to the Games in China, but now they are worried that the home team might not even be able to score a goal.

The host nation automatically qualifies for every sport at the Olympics, but the Chinese men’s lineup — with a handful of naturalized Americans and Canadians — will face off against virtual NHL all-star teams from Canada and the United States in the first round. The International Ice Hockey Federation fears historic blowouts could hurt Olympic hockey’s image, especially after persuading the NHL to take a two-week break to allow the world’s top players to compete.

To figure out how it might all go down, the IIHF is holding an unusual test next week in Moscow, where players on the Chinese team will play against Russian professionals and attempt to be competitive. It’s not clear what might happen if the team plays as poorly as it has in recent games, which raised fears that it might not score even once on home ice in front of its own fans.

Ice hockey is not a popular sport in China, with no pro or significant amateur league. After China won the right to host the Games, an academy was set up to nurture young talent, and Chinese officials went around the world looking for players with Chinese ancestry — or who were willing to naturalize there — who could join the team.

But China’s men’s team is ranked 32nd in the world, and it is in a group with the U.S. and Canada, two of the medal favorites among the 12 teams going to the Winter Games in February. It has struggled against other competition.

That’s why new IIHF president Luc Tardif scheduled the games in Moscow, where the Beijing-based Kontinental Hockey League team Kunlun Red Star — which has been used as something of a proxy for the Chinese national team to get experience in a professional league — will play against Russian opponents.

IIHF and Chinese hockey officials will be watching closely, in person and online, and hoping the team isn’t on its way to being embarrassed against NHL competition in February.

“The team we will have in front of us, in two games, we will just to see the score and the way the game was playing, we will quickly know if they’ve got the level or not,” Tardif told The Associated Press in a recent interview. “It will be not only the score but the way the game was played.”

It’s unclear who will grade this test — or how. The IIHF said last week it will not remove China from the tournament — it does not have the unilateral authority to do that — and it would be up to the Chinese government to pull the plug.

That would be a humiliating step: A host country’s team has never been withdrawn from the modern-day Olympics for solely performance-related reasons, according to Olympic historian Bill Mallon.

I'm so glad I got to read two thirds of every sentence. Reading the whole thing in context is such a waste of time.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear NBC,
I am not going to ever subscribe to your shitty pee cock streaming service. Ever.

Stop.

On my cable packages, I have something called the "Olympic Channel" which is owned by NBC. It is currently showing events from the Tokyo Olympics. Seems like a good place to show Olympic events. I hope they figure it out.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there a trapezoid behind the net? Is the trapezoid rule in place now?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is like Old Man River, he just keeps on flowing...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough injury news for the USA women's hockey team...