• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is someone I wouldn't mind FZ making a waiver claim on - Art Warren
If the Suarez release is official, there is one open spot on the 40 man roster

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is everyone feeling about the SD moves? Do you see 2015 playing out all over again or will they be legitimate contenders, like last year? If so, do the Giants have any decent shot at anything outside of a 2nd Wild Card slot in 2021? Or was that never really the goal?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is everyone feeling about the SD moves? Do you see 2015 playing out all over again or will they be legitimate contenders, like last year? If so, do the Giants have any decent shot at anything outside of a 2nd Wild Card slot in 2021? Or was that never really the goal?
No. In ‘15, they had a roster full of left fielders. Their best CFer was the equivalent of a AA player. Every move that year was geared towards “winning the offseason” rather than “winning baseball”.

This team is solid.

And the Giants? Come on, now. Do you REALLY think Yaz is an anchor on a contending team? I like the kid as much as the next guy, but he just isn’t a superstar.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not sure what they've done.

I don't think we've got a shot this season though.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. In ‘15, they had a roster full of left fielders. Their best CFer was the equivalent of a AA player. Every move that year was geared towards “winning the offseason” rather than “winning baseball”.

This team is solid.

And the Giants? Come on, now. Do you REALLY think Yaz is an anchor on a contending team? I like the kid as much as the next guy, but he just isn’t a superstar.
I think that Yaz is a good player for this team. Considering the holes that need to be filled, going after an outfielder is like deciding that the state of California needs a high speed rail through the San Joaquin Valley to fix the congestion in LA and SF.
Personally, I would have liked to have seen this team have seen more trades than it has in the past two years, in terms of acquiring more young talent for rentals (like Yaz, but also for guys like Smyly, W. Smith, Bumgarner, etc). I know, I know, SF is a big market and completely dismantling this team would have never played well but I do wonder the state of the farm if these trades would have been pulled off. Yet remains to be seen how the Padre build up will work but I do wonder if their method (trading off everyone with value for a few years and really building the farm) would work better for SF than the LA model (take on big contracts and then jettison the excess while also acquiring some prospects and really work on the draft strategy). I do think that the Giants were more in SD and LA level talent when this restructure started so I'm a bit skeptical that what is being done will work. But, I've got to let it play out to see if I'm wrong or right.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Giants will have two arbitration hearings this year - Reyes Moronta and Donovan Solano. The deadline just passed to come to an agreement before the hearings and neither signed any contracts.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Giants will have two arbitration hearings this year - Reyes Moronta and Donovan Solano. The deadline just passed to come to an agreement before the hearings and neither signed any contracts.

Looks like its just Solano going to arbitration.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming something doesn't change, we may actually have a spring training in less than a month? Anyone think that the Giants will sign any more big league deals with free agents? I think we'll only see some more minor league deals with spring training invites, mainly pitchers, catchers and infielders.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming something doesn't change, we may actually have a spring training in less than a month? Anyone think that the Giants will sign any more big league deals with free agents? I think we'll only see some more minor league deals with spring training invites, mainly pitchers, catchers and infielders.

I count on you for this kind of info... but I doubt we will get any big name.

If we do I hope it is a top notch SHP.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect any big name signings. FZ will wait another year to try and produce a core group of "good enough" talent (?a bit above replacement level?) before signing any big free agents. This gives him the luxury of waiting until most of the big contracts are off the books before spending (and knowing what the team has that is "good enough" and where to spend the $$$). Especially to see if any of the "almost ready" pitching in the minors is good enough to fill starting slots 3-5.

After 2021 the only contract still requiring big bucks is Longoria. Posey and Cueto have team options for 2022. Salary obligations drop to under $30M for 2022. I am hoping that Crawford and Belt have monster first halves to the 2021 season so that they can be traded in July for hot prospects with < 2 yrs service time (or none at all).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't expect any big name signings. FZ will wait another year to try and produce a core group of "good enough" talent (?a bit above replacement level?) before signing any big free agents. This gives him the luxury of waiting until most of the big contracts are off the books before spending (and knowing what the team has that is "good enough" and where to spend the $$$). Especially to see if any of the "almost ready" pitching in the minors is good enough to fill starting slots 3-5.

After 2021 the only contract still requiring big bucks is Longoria. Posey and Cueto have team options for 2022. Salary obligations drop to under $30M for 2022. I am hoping that Crawford and Belt have monster first halves to the 2021 season so that they can be traded in July for hot prospects with < 2 yrs service time (or none at all).
Wilmer Flores has an option as well but he doesn't quite fit big contract status.
I do wonder how FZ will handle Crawford, Belt, Cueto, DeSclafani, Gausman, Wood and even Solano, Casali and Wisler should they post good first half numbers if the Giants are sniffing playoffs come July. Will he learn from the past two seasons and still ship off those whom he could get a return or hang on to most of them and just trade a couple of minor pieces?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol

Just saw I wrote, "...SHP...". Starting Hand Pitcher...?

I meant a starting pitcher lol
Well, I think it goes without saying that we want our pitchers to throw with their hands. Not sure I want the team to sign a SFP - Starting Foot Pitcher.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Astros just designated for assignment Humberto Castellanos. He is not yet 23 years old and has some good minor league numbers. He got knocked around in his first big league experience in 2020 but that was just 8 games. He has options left. Seems like a great grab if they can get him.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think it goes without saying that we want our pitchers to throw with their hands. Not sure I want the team to sign a SFP - Starting Foot Pitcher.
We did sign that guy who throws with both hands so I could have meant "Single Handed Pitcher..."