• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda surprised to see Peralta and Anderson on that list. And what little I saw of Robertson I kinda liked.
With Watson leaving, I am surprised that Peralta would be considered a non-tender candidate. With Anderson, maybe he's just a whipping boy of salary suppression. They non-tendered him last year and then re-signed him for less. With all the talk of the market being flooded with non-tenders, the FO may see a way to slide him through free agency again and pay him less than arbitration would give him.
Robertson has been the most talked about as a non-tender. That would be the least surprising, considering the rumors the Giants want another utility player and FZ's penchant for trying to sneak guys through for depth purposes.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Watson leaving, I am surprised that Peralta would be considered a non-tender candidate. With Anderson, maybe he's just a whipping boy of salary suppression. They non-tendered him last year and then re-signed him for less. With all the talk of the market being flooded with non-tenders, the FO may see a way to slide him through free agency again and pay him less than arbitration would give him.
Robertson has been the most talked about as a non-tender. That would be the least surprising, considering the rumors the Giants want another utility player and FZ's penchant for trying to sneak guys through for depth purposes.
Tyler Anderson wasn’t with the Giants in ‘19...

But yes, FZ like shuffling the roster, than playing a few hands of 52 card pickup. No telling what he will do. Job security is certainly NOT the new Giants Way.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Anderson wasn’t with the Giants in ‘19...

But yes, FZ like shuffling the roster, than playing a few hands of 52 card pickup. No telling what he will do. Job security is certainly NOT the new Giants Way.
They picked him up shortly after the season ended and then non-tendered him.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They picked him up shortly after the season ended and then non-tendered him.
Well...

Fine.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Trade Rumors posted this article about potential landing places for Nolan Arenado, should the Rockies trade him - Looking For A Match In A Nolan Arenado Trade
I saw that the Giants were listed and the article talked about Evan Longoria going the other way to help offset some of the cost and give the Rockies a short term replacement. This seemed like a great idea!
But then I thought about his contract (6 years left, at close to $200 million) and found out he's got an opt out after the 2021 season. And, I wondered, what his home/road splits are for his career. Well, they are home - .322/.376/.609 and road - .263/.322/.471 (this is, again, for his career). His career slash playing in SF is somewhat better - .267/.336/.483.
He would be an upgrade over Longoria (slightly better bat and glove, 4 years younger) but would the cost (either taking on most of his contract or a boatload of prospects) worth it? What are the chances he sticks around after 2021 if he does well?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am NEVER a fan of acquiring a hitter from the Rockies. There is no way to know if their numbers are legit or not. Has any player ever left Colorado had a decent career after? Galaragga was a platoon player post-Colorado. Tulo flopped in Toronto. CarGo had trouble latching on with anyone else.

LaMahiue may be the only one to have success after leaving them.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am NEVER a fan of acquiring a hitter from the Rockies. There is no way to know if their numbers are legit or not. Has any player ever left Colorado had a decent career after? Galaragga was a platoon player post-Colorado. Tulo flopped in Toronto. CarGo had trouble latching on with anyone else.

LaMahiue may be the only one to have success after leaving them.
That is a good question. Galarraga had some good years with Montreal before sputtering and then going to Colorado at age 33. He was 37 when he landed with Atlanta and posted numbers better than all but one of his seasons in Colorado. He played full time until he was 40 years old. That was when he became a part time player.
Tulowitzki's issue was mainly health. He only had one healthy season outside of his time in Colorado. The numbers weren't Colorado level good but were still pretty good for a shortstop (close to Crawford's 2016 season).
CarGo started to struggle while with Colorado so his 2019 season was very much expected.
Arenado doesn't fit any of those profiles. He is much younger than Galarraga, much healthy (presumably) than Tulowitzki and hasn't shown the decline of Gonzalez (although his 2020 showing is a bit concerning).
Eric Young, Sr is a good example of a guy who is close to Arenado's current age when he exited the Rockies. His offense cratered after his time there, but his numbers were never as good in Colorado as Arenado's.
Ellis Burks was older (33) when he left but he posted amazing numbers until he was 38. However, this was in the late 90s/early 00s.
Vinny Castilla may be the story you are looking for. He posted phenonemal offensive numbers with the Rockies and was 31 when he left Colorado (he played 3rd base, to boot). He played 7 more years in the big leagues and the only time he got close to his production with Colorado was in 2004 when he played for . . . Colorado.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And another factor is that Arenado is an all-time great defender, and I wouldn’t think that would be benefitted (or hurt) by playing in Denver.

But I would still be against acquiring him because a lot of his “value” comes from his bat, and I just don’t trust that that would translate.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And another factor is that Arenado is an all-time great defender, and I wouldn’t think that would be benefitted (or hurt) by playing in Denver.

But I would still be against acquiring him because a lot of his “value” comes from his bat, and I just don’t trust that that would translate.
I think he would still be an upgrade over Longoria but I do agree that he was be a big overpay. Considering the cost, Longoria is the better player to have on the roster, between the two.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he retired like 4 years ago???
He did make the All-Star game in 2018. However, his 2019 and 2020 numbers suggest that he's ready for retirement. I did read somewhere that he may do so if he doesn't re-sign with the Cubs. I don't know if that is just a ploy to get more money or a legitimate possibility.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes some sense. Straily may be willing to take a 2021 "make good" contract at a lower number to hit FA next winter. I wouldn't commit to more than one year on him though. Those 2019 numbers were bad, and he didn't pitch this year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes some sense. Straily may be willing to take a 2021 "make good" contract at a lower number to hit FA next winter. I wouldn't commit to more than one year on him though. Those 2019 numbers were bad, and he didn't pitch this year.
Actually, he did pitch in 2020 . . . in the KBO. From the article:
"While he was coming off the worst season of his professional career a year ago, Straily recently wrapped an outstanding debut campaign in the KBO. In 31 starts, Straily totaled 194 frames and pitched to a 2.50 ERA and 2.97 FIP, averaging 9.5 strikeouts, 2.4 walks and 0.46 home runs per nine innings pitched. It was a remarkable turnaround for the well-traveled right-hander — one that seems to have restored some confidence in his ability to navigate a Major League lineup."
While the hitting isn't big league caliber, it is a notorious hitters' league. He's probably looking to parlay those numbers into a 1 or 2 year guaranteed contract.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Straily re-signed with the KBO Giants.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Putting these all here since this is where tzill talked about arb numbers