• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 roster

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why?
This just seems like tinkering in the wrong area. The Giants got some good production from the outfield last year. Even if one or two guys regress, there is enough depth to neutralize that regression. If the Giants are going to invest money this year, why not sign a high end starting pitcher or one or two relievers? Seems like a bigger area of need to me.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forget where BBRef pulls their projections, but here's what they have for the currently rostered outfielders in 2021:
Mike Yastrzemski - .265/.346/.490 (480 ABs)
Alex Dickerson - .265/.337/.473 (400 ABs)
Darin Ruf - .244/.329/.434 (295 ABs)
Mauricio Dubon - .261/.328/.414 (403 ABs)
Austin Slater - .246/.342/.396 (313 ABs)
Luis Alexander Basabe - .239/.329/.401 (197 ABs)
Joe McCarthy - .232/.313/.400 (190 ABs)
Jaylin Davis - .228/.308/.401 (197 ABs)
Steven Duggar - .234/.293/.365 (252 ABs)

And here is what they have for the two rumored free agent interests:
Eddie Rosario - .267/.311/.471 (529 ABs)
Jackie Bradley, Jr. - .237/.324/.413 (482 ABs)
What I don't know is how much home parks are factored into these projections and if moving from Minnesota and Boston to SF would improve or reduce these numbers.

If Rosario is signed, he basically displaces Dickerson, who is projected to have the same slugging, with better on base. Dickerson (nor Rosario) projects as a good 4th outfielder because he is mainly a left fielder. Bradley, meanwhile, slots just below Slater in offensive production. I would argue that the projections on Slater sell low more on him than many others in this group, but even if not, Bradley's defense would need to be significantly better than Dubon's (considering the cost difference) to be considered an upgrade. I'm not nearly as familiar with defensive metrics, but from what little I've read, Dubon was pretty good in center field. So I don't see how either Rosario or Bradley are going to be even incrementally better than their replacements.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FZ is looking for LH bats. Pure and simple.
Why is that a big need for the team? We've got Belt, Crawford, Dickerson and Yastrzemski in the starting 8. Understandably, the bench is a bit thin on lefties, with only McCarthy (assuming he's invited to camp), Krizan and Duggar coming to spring training to compete for a role, with Basabe and Alcantara as the only switch hitters in camp. But signing Rosario makes Dickerson a bit superfluous and Bradley just puts another lefty in the starting lineup, with the bench at the same composition.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that a big need for the team? We've got Belt, Crawford, Dickerson and Yastrzemski in the starting 8. Understandably, the bench is a bit thin on lefties, with only McCarthy (assuming he's invited to camp), Krizan and Duggar coming to spring training to compete for a role, with Basabe and Alcantara as the only switch hitters in camp. But signing Rosario makes Dickerson a bit superfluous and Bradley just puts another lefty in the starting lineup, with the bench at the same composition.
Good point.

Possibly FZ is aware of the production/power outage Belt & Craw went through recently?
They did both rebound a bit last season but still.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point.

Possibly FZ is aware of the production/power outage Belt & Craw went through recently?
They did both rebound a bit last season but still.
That is true, both Belt and Crawford regained life offensively after a couple of down years but if they get platooned, that means more left handed depth on the bench when a lefty starts the game against the Giants.
But the counterpoint to that is that neither Rosario nor Bradley are exactly offensive stalwarts. Bradley himself had a decent bounceback in 2020 after a few years of mediocre offense and while Rosario is known as a bat first outfielder, his numbers aren't that great. He's basically a slightly younger version of Dickerson.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true, both Belt and Crawford regained life offensively after a couple of down years but if they get platooned, that means more left handed depth on the bench when a lefty starts the game against the Giants.
But the counterpoint to that is that neither Rosario nor Bradley are exactly offensive stalwarts. Bradley himself had a decent bounceback in 2020 after a few years of mediocre offense and while Rosario is known as a bat first outfielder, his numbers aren't that great. He's basically a slightly younger version of Dickerson.
Well, yes and no. Bradley's elite defensively and allows Yaz to stay in RF. I could see him as an add. Rosario?

Hard pass.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peterson is different. He is a good defender with a 3-outcome bat. He has value. I just dont really like watching TTO players.

TTO
Tefillah Turn On:

The feeling of sexual attraction towards a young jewish male with the following: perfect kippah placement, visible tzitzit, the skills to read Torah well, a beautiful davening voice, and a good shuckel.
Note: these characteristics in excess may lead to a lack of attraction. It's about quality, not quantity.
You see that boychick with perfect kippah placement? I'm feeling some major TTO.

???

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TTO
Tefillah Turn On:

The feeling of sexual attraction towards a young jewish male with the following: perfect kippah placement, visible tzitzit, the skills to read Torah well, a beautiful davening voice, and a good shuckel.
Note: these characteristics in excess may lead to a lack of attraction. It's about quality, not quantity.
You see that boychick with perfect kippah placement? I'm feeling some major TTO.

???
I think he means three true outcomes.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mostly agreed although I do think Pederson is better...
I don't know how the two compare defensively, but I think Dickerson may have the better bat.
For his career, Dickerson has a .273/.342/.493 slash line in 215 games. Pederson's career triple slash is .230/.336/.470 in 748 games. Pederson is 2 years younger, so maybe he still has some untapped potential. However, Dickerson has missed a lot of time due to injuries. So while Pederson has been very up and down in his career, Dickerson has been very injury prone. Both have their warts, but Pederson is going to cost a lot more than Dickerson, due to Pederson's lack of injuries and earlier start in the service time category.
I really want to see if Slater's 2020 season was a fluke or if he can produce at that level in the big leagues and there is only one way to find out. He deserves to be the 4th guy. If this team does contend in 2021 (legitimately contend, not the get hot at the wrong team of the season contend) and it becomes obvious that an outfielder is needed, then get one at the trading deadline.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TTO
Tefillah Turn On:

???
There is a concept in the Jewish community about being sexually attracted to young men with visible zits?

Oy Vey...

Although, I am always down for a good shuckel...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TTO
Tefillah Turn On:

???
Yeah, it happens. Don't hate me because I'm a beautiful Hebrew man...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillies dfa'd Ian Hamilton today. He's another guy I wouldn't mind the Giants taking a waiver claim on. He had a rough 2019 due to injury but his minor league numbers prior to that looks good and he's had minimal chances in the big leagues.