• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 roster

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a LOT of "in jokes" (or bizarre nicknames) on this forum, which often annoys me (because life caught up to me and I only read here occasionally now-a-days) and it's not uncommon for me to think "who the flock is he talking about?" when reading someone's post about "the missile meister" or "the intrepid shepherd", or "hot dog bun" or some other ridiculous name.

That having been said ... I personally have always loved the term "moundshattery" which I don't think that I have seen anywhere else but on this forum.

You may get to see the term used a lot this year. :(

When I lived in SoCal, I used to listen to Jim Rome in the early days (the Mighty 690). The show developed its own glossary (gloss) of terms. Didn't someone on this forum do something similar a while back? I was glad to see some recent references to Nick Lowry, that was classic.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may get to see the term used a lot this year. :(

When I lived in SoCal, I used to listen to Jim Rome in the early days (the Mighty 690). The show developed its own glossary (gloss) of terms. Didn't someone on this forum do something similar a while back? I was glad to see some recent references to Nick Lowry, that was classic.
When I first came here on the Hoop, I thought that there was some stickied thread with glossary information.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a LOT of "in jokes" (or bizarre nicknames) on this forum, which often annoys me (because life caught up to me and I only read here occasionally now-a-days) and it's not uncommon for me to think "who the flock is he talking about?" when reading someone's post about "the missile meister" or "the intrepid shepherd", or "hot dog bun" or some other ridiculous name.

That having been said ... I personally have always loved the term "moundshattery" which I don't think that I have seen anywhere else but on this forum.
I am willing to be wrong, but I believe that is an original.

That said, you're all my alts anyway...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am willing to be wrong, but I believe that is an original.

That said, you're all my alts anyway...
While I believe the actual term “moundshattery” is yours, I believe I brought the concept to the group with the term “shit the bed”.

In college, my friends and I would use that term all the time when shooting darts (the first miss was “shit”, the second miss was “the” and the third miss was “bed”), and I remember bringing it here (not that it is a completely original phase, granted).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitcher number 41 about to sign

If its a major league deal then why? Jarlin Garcia, Jake McGee, Sam Selman and Wandy Peralta all seem to be just as good as this guy.

Here's a list of remaining free agent pitchers. I wonder how many more FZ will sign before the start of the season:
Homer Bailey
Trevor Cahill
Sam Freeman
Zack Godley
Gio Gonzalez
Shane Greene
Cole Hamels
Mike Leake
Juan Nicasio
Jake Odorizzi
Roberto Osuna
Brad Peacock
Rick Porcello
AJ Ramos
David Robertson
Jeff Samardzija
Anibal Sanchez
Tyler Thornburg
Edinson Volquez

That's not even including all the pitchers who've retired in the past 5 years.

Last edited:

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitcher number 41 about to sign

If its a major league deal then why? Jarlin Garcia, Jake McGee, Sam Selman and Wandy Peralta all seem to be just as good as this guy.

Here's a list of remaining free agent pitchers. I wonder how many more FZ will sign before the start of the season:
Homer Bailey
Trevor Cahill
Sam Freeman
Zack Godley
Gio Gonzalez
Shane Greene
Cole Hamels
Mike Leake
Juan Nicasio
Jake Odorizzi
Roberto Osuna
Brad Peacock
Rick Porcello
AJ Ramos
David Robertson
Jeff Samardzija
Anibal Sanchez
Tyler Thornburg
Edinson Volquez

That's not even including all the pitchers who've retired in the past 5 years.

We'd be crazy not to give that Samardzija guy a try...

Seriously though who do we want the most from that list?

Without knowing their numbers from last year and going off of name recognition:
Cahill? Hamels? Leake?

And I've ever been impressed with Bailey.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Resistance is futile . . . you will need Depends.

Imagine my excitement when, on the first day of Law School, my Torts instructor said "I'm going to teach you today the two most important words in any lawyers career -- 'It Depends.' Because if it DOESN'T depend, you don't need a lawyer."

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine my excitement when, on the first day of Law School, my Torts instructor said "I'm going to teach you today the two most important words in any lawyers career -- 'It Depends.' Because if it DOESN'T depend, you don't need a lawyer."
NOW I understand your poopy posts.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'd be crazy not to give that Samardzija guy a try...

Seriously though who do we want the most from that list?

Without knowing their numbers from last year and going off of name recognition:
Cahill? Hamels? Leake?

And I've ever been impressed with Bailey.
Cahill pitched well for the Giants last year. I was okay letting him walk . . . until I saw the huge collection of arms that FZ has acquired this offseason (the actual number should be 42 because I counted Beede but not Brebbia in the number of pitchers in camp). Leake sat out all of 2020 and Hamels threw a total of 1 inning before going down for the season with an injury.
Quite frankly, I hope the Giants stay away from most of these guys. Gio Gonzalez did just sign a minor league deal with the Marlins, so he is out. Here's a brief rundown of those left:
Homer Bailey - 35 years old. Only got 2 starts (8 innings) in with the Twins but looked decent. 7 Ks, 6 hits, 3 walks, 1 home run allowed. First decent season since 2014.
Trevor Cahill - Turned 33 two days ago. Made 6 starts and 5 relief appearances with Giants. 31 Ks in 25 innings, with a 1.2000 WHIP. Had horrible 2019 but looked okay in 2018. Poor 2017 but good 2016 seasons.
Sam Freeman - 33 years old. Pitched okay in 7 games with the Nationals. 6 Ks but 7 walks in 5 innings. Had TJ surgery last September so will be out all of 2021.
Zack Godley - 30 years old. Made 7 awful starts and 1 relief appearance with Boston. Did K 28 in 28 innings but had 8.16 ERA and 1.953 WHIP. Hasn't been good since 2017.
Shane Greene - 32 years old. Had a nice 2020 (1.120 WHIP, 2.60 ERA) in 28 games but K rate was a bit low (21 in 27.2 innings pitched). Two solid seasons in a row after a poor 2018 campaign.
Cole Hamels - 37 years old. Threw 3.1 innings before injury wiped out 2020. Looked solid in 2019.
Mike Leake - 33 years old. Opted out of the 2020 season. Looked like a 4th/5th starter in 2019. Does eat innings though.
Juan Nicasio - 34 years old. Got absolutely lit up in 2 appearances with the Rangers and then went on the restricted list for the rest of the year. His 2019 and 2018 seasons were poor as well.
Jake Odorizzi - 30 years old. Only made 4 starts and pitched poorly. However, he has a track record of solid work and staying healthy. But, in my opinion, a bit overrated at this point of his career.
Roberto Osuna - 26 years old. Talk about a loaded free agent, both good and bad. First, the good - he's the youngest pitcher available and he's done nothing but perform well in the big leagues. His worst season was probably among the best for some of these other pitchers. Then, there's the bad - he has the 2018 partner abuse allegations hanging over his head and he was also rumored to need TJ surgery last August but opted to rehab instead. No word on how that is going.
Brad Peacock - 33 years old. Pitched poorly in 7 relief appearances with the Astros. He's been dealing with serious right shoulder discomfort, which may be why he is still on the market.
Rick Porcello - 32 years old. In my opinion, the most overrated of the remaining free agents. Sure, he eats innings, but people seem to think he's still the pitcher who posted a Cy Young season in 2016. He's not. His numbers have gotten progressively worse since then and he wasn't that good before 2016.
AJ Ramos - 34 years old. This guy was once phenomenal but hasn't had a good season since 2017. In fact, he's only pitched in 31 big league games since then. He got lit up with the Mets in 2018, didn't pitch at all in 2019 and only threw in 3 games for the Rockies in 2020, where he gave up 4 hits and 3 walks, against just 1 strikeout, in 2.2 innings pitched.
David Robertson - 35 years old (will be 36 on April 9th). Another formerly great pitcher felled by injury. He's only pitched in 7 games in the past 2 seasons and not at all in 2020. He seems healthy but no one has signed him yet.
Jeff Samardzija - 36 years old. We are all familiar with Samardzija so I won't delve into his disappointing seasons. The Cubs were rumored to be looking signing him to a minor league deal a month ago but nothing has come of it so far.
Anibal Sanchez - 37 years old. He got torched in 11 starts with the Nationals last year but had a good season as recently as 2018 (and was decent in 2019). He's stated that he has had offers but is waiting to see how the season starts with COVID concerns.
Tyler Thornburg - 32 years old. This guy's career has been destroyed by injury. A nice reliever with the Brewers as recently as 2016, he's only thrown in 48 games since then and with terrible results. However, he looked a bit better in 2020, striking out 10 in 7 innings with the Reds.
Edinson Volquez - 37 years old. Converted to the bullpen in 2019 (after not pitching at all in 2018), Volquez hasn't looked good in relief. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So.... none of them.

Imagine Shark pitching in Wrigley... lol.

I put together this photoshop real quick, don't judge I didn't put much time into it. But here ya go, Shark pitching in Wrigley

CUBS-2-articleLarge.jpg

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put together this photoshop real quick, don't judge I didn't put much time into it. But here ya go, Shark pitching in Wrigley

CUBS-2-articleLarge.jpg

Prolly better than the image I imagined of him hanging his head as another homerun flies out of the park...

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CUBS-2-articleLarge.jpg

It seems to me the hate this guy gets is as much about the fact that he mows down the batters for most of his innings then suddenly becomes a 7th starter, that is a guy who should be in the minors, pitching badly for an inning or two. The hate for him is worse than his raw numbers which aren't as bad as the hate he generates. Not that I think he is all that good but maddeningly good then maddeningly bad during most of his starts.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me the hate this guy gets is as much about the fact that he mows down the batters for most of his innings then suddenly becomes a 7th starter, that is a guy who should be in the minors, pitching badly for an inning or two. The hate for him is worse than his raw numbers which aren't as bad as the hate he generates. Not that I think he is all that good but maddeningly good then maddeningly bad during most of his starts.
He'd probably be great as a closer or set up man. In fact, I think the White Sox once thought about converting him to relief. He's not horrible but considering the contract the Giants gave him, he severely underperformed. And it was pretty obvious that was going to happen from the moment the ink dried on the contract.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd probably be great as a closer or set up man. In fact, I think the White Sox once thought about converting him to relief. He's not horrible but considering the contract the Giants gave him, he severely underperformed. And it was pretty obvious that was going to happen from the moment the ink dried on the contract.

Watch the Chubs convert to him a closer and he sets some sort of saves record... lol, nah.

But I could see it...