• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots and Free Agency

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can come back if he wants to.
No. His play in 2020 is the primary reason that he was cut. This is why the Patriots were so competitive for 20 straight years. They never paid a player $30M for one year. The Dolphins gve Van Noy a $51M/4 yr contract with $30M guaranteed. He's 31 and has lost a step. He was in the perfect place as a Patriot LB and he was able to come off the field and take a nap once in awhile. He had to play every snap in Miami. The Patriots defense is getting younger and adding veterans is only beneficial if they are not beyond their peak. I'd much rather see Matt Milano roaming in the dead zone than Van Noy.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want 32 year old TE Kyle Rudolph either. Getting cut by the Vikings is a warning. Teams don't cut outstanding players unless it's for a legal reason.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard Miami is cutting ties with Van Noy. Paid him too much.

He can come back if he wants to.

No. His play in 2020 is the primary reason that he was cut. This is why the Patriots were so competitive for 20 straight years. They never paid a player $30M for one year. The Dolphins gve Van Noy a $51M/4 yr contract with $30M guaranteed. He's 31 and has lost a step. He was in the perfect place as a Patriot LB and he was able to come off the field and take a nap once in awhile. He had to play every snap in Miami. The Patriots defense is getting younger and adding veterans is only beneficial if they are not beyond their peak. I'd much rather see Matt Milano roaming in the dead zone than Van Noy.
The key is the fish paid too much for him. Experience counts and at the right price that experience makes up for a lost step. As always, I leave this in BB's hands to do the right thing.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Food for thought, Ken. You might see a crack in Miami and Buffalo game plan.
Players playing a lot of snaps don't last as long.
You mentioned Van Noy, now look at Milano:

"An assortment of injuries limited him to appearing in just 11 regular-season games. this last year........
In 2018, he was the NFL’s only player with at least 75 tackles, three interceptions and three fumble recoveries"

Sounds like Buffalo rode him pretty hard, doesn't it?

I'd take Milano in a heartbeat - for the right price. I'd negotiate telling him he;ll last longer rotating in and out......

Van Noy reminds me of the young couple that stop in a jewelry store and the old saleswoman puts a 3 carat diamond on her finger "to try it on"
Imagine the look on the young girls face when she is showed a 1/2 carat diamond?
Van Noy is not coming back for what he is worth.....

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought his stats as I read them were almost identical to his last year as a Patriot.

Miami just overspent.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VanNoy I was never overly impressed with. He's not a great athlete average for his position, he plays smart though usually in the right place at the right time but not worth the deal he got from the Phins.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
VanNoy I was never overly impressed with. He's not a great athlete average for his position, he plays smart though usually in the right place at the right time but not worth the deal he got from the Phins.
Fins had money to spend and Flores wanted somebody he could trust and who could mentor.
Flores got what he wanted, now the cap is too tight for an overpaid player.....

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is why he's gone.

But if he took a pay cut...

I thought he had a good head for the game and while he wasn't a game breaker, he was clutch.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Noy provided Miami with what they needed IMO, veteran leadership during a rebuild. They probably overpaid for leadership more than anything else and now realize they don't need him anymore.

I'd take him back at the right price though he's not as good as his cockiness suggests.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why he's gone.

But if he took a pay cut...

I thought he had a good head for the game and while he wasn't a game breaker, he was clutch.
I agree not a game breaker but very capable of making big plays when bib plays were called for.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On James White:

"What are the odds of James White staying in New England? - After establishing himself as perhaps the league’s best third-down back, White was wasted in Foxborough last season with Cam Newton. The Patriots were rarely a pass-first attack, and when there were, Newton one-hopped passes to White far too often. His 49 catches were the fewest since 2015. If New England doesn’t have a real upgrade, those talents would go initialized again."

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On James White:

"What are the odds of James White staying in New England? - After establishing himself as perhaps the league’s best third-down back, White was wasted in Foxborough last season with Cam Newton. The Patriots were rarely a pass-first attack, and when there were, Newton one-hopped passes to White far too often. His 49 catches were the fewest since 2015. If New England doesn’t have a real upgrade, those talents would go initialized again."
The Patriots are supposedly making him a priority but after losing his dad and having his mom by herself in Florida, one might think he would be considering Miami, Jacksonville or Tampa Bay. Probably whichever one is closest to her house.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots are supposedly making him a priority but after losing his dad and having his mom by herself in Florida, one might think he would be considering Miami, Jacksonville or Tampa Bay. Probably whichever one is closest to her house.
If we don't replace Cam, White is gone.....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think White is gone, The Pats are pretty loaded at RB and two a RB that second contract is critical due to how short their careers are. Couple that with BBs cheap as way of paying talent, I think he walks.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think White is gone, The Pats are pretty loaded at RB and two a RB that second contract is critical due to how short their careers are. Couple that with BBs cheap as way of paying talent, I think he walks.
White replaced Shane Vereen - our very good 3rd down back. Vereen was making $2 million ate the time he bacame a free agent. I predicted we would not sign him, saying that I didn't think we would pay him $3 million.

NY Giants paid him $5 million and he never did anything for the giants or ever played as well anytime after he left us......

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
White replaced Shane Vereen - our very good 3rd down back. Vereen was making $2 million ate the time he bacame a free agent. I predicted we would not sign him, saying that I didn't think we would pay him $3 million.

NY Giants paid him $5 million and he never did anything for the giants or ever played as well anytime after he left us......

I always kinda looked at it like White was Kevin Faulk's eventual replacement as their styles were similar-ish. Vereen was different IMO. If White walks, which I believe is likely, we need somebody like him or Faulk and guys like that are rare.