• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Patriots and Free Agency

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope...............................

If Thuney leaves Wynn will move inside to LG. Herron will move to LT because he covered every game that Wynn was hurt or missed or Owenue could move to LT and Herron would move to RT.

Patriots also have Corey Cunningham OT, Jermaine Elumonur OT, Ross Reynolds OG, Yodny Cajuste OL, and rookie Jordan Steckler OL on the practice squad. The Patriots don't need Cannon or his $9M cap hit. He'll take a pay cut or be cut.

As good as Chung may have been, Duggar was better than expected and by late in the season was playing as well as Chung in 2019.. He owns Chung's spot now.

Hightower's $11.5M cap hit might have to be renegotiated down a bit. By late in the season, Bentley, Uche, Jennings, Terez Hall and Shilique Calhoun were doing as well as could be expected for a group of first and second year guys and they got the experience playing every game that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

There are free agents that are going to want to play and will player cheap because there isn't a lot of free money.
I like Duggar but he is still learning. Chung still valuable in the box. I dont think Duggar has taken his spot yet but might do that before season starts. A full camp will help all the younger players!

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Duggar but he is still learning. Chung still valuable in the box. I dont think Duggar has taken his spot yet but might do that before season starts. A full camp will help all the younger players!
Here's the thing... There's helping and hurting. Chung being back won't hurt the team, but it also won't be a dramatic improvement... just some more depth.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing... There's helping and hurting. Chung being back won't hurt the team, but it also won't be a dramatic improvement... just some more depth.
I disagree. As bad as our run defense was any leadership in the box is going to be significant.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Ben Volin of the Boston Globe:

Patriots have reached out to Stephon Gilmore about a contract extension. Nothing to report but Gilmore is listening.

All indications are that the present contract would be rewritten and he'd get a guaranteed $30M and a $12M cash bonus. Basically, 3 years at $14M per. The way it would be written would give the Pats an extra $5M of cap space this year.

If he doesn't do it, there's no question that at least 8 teams are interested in trading for him.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Ben Volin of the Boston Globe:

Patriots have reached out to Stephon Gilmore about a contract extension. Nothing to report but Gilmore is listening.

All indications are that the present contract would be rewritten and he'd get a guaranteed $30M and a $12M cash bonus. Basically, 3 years at $14M per. The way it would be written would give the Pats an extra $5M of cap space this year.

If he doesn't do it, there's no question that at least 8 teams are interested in trading for him.
Which eight?

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which eight?
From the local media here in Boston....

Arizona
Seattle
LA Rams
Detroit
Chicago
Green Bay
Dallas
Jacksonville
Tennessee
Baltimore

I know, that's more than 8, but those are the ones that continually get mentioned, especially Arizona and Detroit.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I just read The Washington Football Organization will not bring back Alex Smith, is he worth a try? With his limited time on field last year he looked good, might get him cheap and IMO may be a better option than Camella
Smith would be a perfect, very cheap, short term option if the patriots intend to draft a QB and have them learn under an experienced QB. Cam was a great locker room buddy but wasn't a teacher. Fitzpatrick fits the same mold.

I seriously don't want to see Dalton, Cam or Trubisky because they are all about themselves and salvaging another year on a team.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith would be a perfect, very cheap, short term option if the patriots intend to draft a QB and have them learn under an experienced QB. Cam was a great locker room buddy but wasn't a teacher. Fitzpatrick fits the same mold.

I seriously don't want to see Dalton, Cam or Trubisky because they are all about themselves and salvaging another year on a team.
I agree I think Smith has the football IQ to run our system. He's pretty accurate, is it a risk yeah but I can see it being a better option than Camella.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I just read The Washington Football Organization will not bring back Alex Smith, is he worth a try? With his limited time on field last year he looked good, might get him cheap and IMO may be a better option than Camella

Teams would be wise to sign Alex Smith if Washington lets him go. Just ask Patrick Mahomes

Don't shoot me but I think I'd rather give Camella another shot. Very likely wishful thinking but maybe just maybe he did have the deck stacked against him last season.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't shoot me but I think I'd rather give Camella another shot. Very likely wishful thinking but maybe just maybe he did have the deck stacked against him last season.
I am just unsure he was the gray matter for this offense.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just unsure he was the gray matter for this offense.
BB loves the the guy's attitude but said out, the he just doesn't have the arm. He meant both accuracy and strength. Withour one or the other, let's be honest, you ain't a quarterback in the NFL.

If BB decides to get a vet, I'd take Smith as my first choice an Fitz as my second.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"move on from a glorified fullback in Cam and you go ahead to a quarterback who’s really on his last legs."

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you feel Camella is a better option?
"Over the course of eight games (six starts) in 2020 Smith threw for just 1,582 yards and six touchdowns, to go against eight interceptions. His QBR (34.8) was a career-worst, and his yards per attempt was the worst it's been since 2007. With reports Washington is 'expected' to part ways with the veteran QB, Smith will likely be in the market for a new team next season.

Newton wasn't much better, though. By DVOA, which is on a per-play basis to adjust for the different number of games for each player, Newton finished 31st in the NFL. Smith was 35th, and his -39.7% rating was more than twice as worse as Newton's -17.7%."

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Over the course of eight games (six starts) in 2020 Smith threw for just 1,582 yards and six touchdowns, to go against eight interceptions. His QBR (34.8) was a career-worst, and his yards per attempt was the worst it's been since 2007. With reports Washington is 'expected' to part ways with the veteran QB, Smith will likely be in the market for a new team next season.

Newton wasn't much better, though. By DVOA, which is on a per-play basis to adjust for the different number of games for each player, Newton finished 31st in the NFL. Smith was 35th, and his -39.7% rating was more than twice as worse as Newton's -17.7%."
Cam had a better OL and RBs than Smith. The WRs weren't as good, but Smith's protection wasn't great either. In a horrible division.

With the Patriots' Ol and RBs and an improved group of WRs, I think Smith might be able to play a much longer season and not give two games away fumbling or trying to find the end zone.

In all honesty, I'd rather have Hoyer under center than Cam for another year. But that's me.