• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021-2022 NBA Season

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 145,821.16
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember the last time I saw a team commit 20+ TO's, miss 17 FT's and still win. Plus they were only 6-27 from downtown.

When Markkanen got injured last night thought for sure he was lost for the season. And like you said hopefully he's only out around six weeks.
X-rays were negative, high ankle sprain. It’s possible he is not out that long.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
X-rays were negative, high ankle sprain. It’s possible he is not out that long.

Oh good deal. Cavs have been hit hard by the injury bug this season. They didn't need a third player lost for the season.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I presume that you know that a goodly portion of trading assets in professional sports is similar to what P.T. Barnum knew about human activity in these matters a long time ago. There is a sucker born every minute and people will put their money down and do irrational things if they perceive and believe what their getting in value is better than what they have experienced and what they think is true. The NBA is no different and that is why the VORP came about originating in Professional Baseball and spreading to other sports that evaluate human skill sets.

Got it. So we should all just float implausible trade ideas because teams have done dumb shit before.

The problem with RW is that any team you build around him does have the ability to be just good enough to not be terrible. He won't allow being traded just for the sake of sitting (like Wall). The Pacers have also never been known to be a particularly dumb franchise. This isn't the Knicks or Kings.

If they do move Levert, Sabonis, and Turner and their goal ends up being full tear down taking a first rounder in 25 from the Lakers is a terrible offer. They will look elsewhere. Obviously.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on fightinfunbags. The Pacers are presently operating under the belief that they are rebuilding and thus there is a requirement for something new and hopefully better. So they give away some of their assets that they shouldn't. Then when the adrenalin wears off, they realize they didn't have to do what they did and then they have lots of regret. Just ask Pelinka in LA. All of this is commonly known as a FIRE SALE!
That’s next level stupid if they think acquiring Russ sets them on a rebuild though.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luka isn’t even to RFA yet though.

He would have to do something drastic like threaten to go play overseas to force the Mavericks to trade him.

Possible, but highly unlikely.
Or Cuban is too proud to want to continue to build around a guy who doesn’t want anything to do with them. Dude is not happy with how that franchise is run.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s next level stupid if they think acquiring Russ sets them on a rebuild though.

Exactly.

Dude is a machine he can still will teams like the Pacers to wins over bad teams. Pacers would be like 35 and 47 or some shit

Like the Wizards last year.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. So we should all just float implausible trade ideas because teams have done dumb shit before.

The problem with RW is that any team you build around him does have the ability to be just good enough to not be terrible. He won't allow being traded just for the sake of sitting (like Wall). The Pacers have also never been known to be a particularly dumb franchise. This isn't the Knicks or Kings.

If they do move Levert, Sabonis, and Turner and their goal ends up being full tear down taking a first rounder in 25 from the Lakers is a terrible offer. They will look elsewhere. Obviously.

The only reason for any team to trade for Westbrook is if they intend to rebuild, still want to put butts in seats and have guys with more than 1 year left on their contracts that they want to move so they can have cap space after next season.

That's a lot of "special circumstances" to have to count on.

I expect that the Lakers will keep throwing stuff out there to see if something sticks...I'll be surprised if anything does.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly.

Dude is a machine he can still will teams like the Pacers to wins over bad teams. Pacers would be like 35 and 47 or some shit

Like the Wizards last year.

Depends on the contracts they are trying to move and how they want to try to rebuild.

The one positive re: Westbrooks deal is that it only has his player option for next year left. So, if they want to try to rebuild via free agency and those players have more than just next year on their contracts, then it might make sense to trade for Westbrook (although Wall may be better since he apparently has no expectation to actually play) to clear space.

Having said that, if there is a team out there looking to do that, it's likely not the Pacers because that hasn't really been how they've done things in their history. They've always been more...build through the draft and use trades/FA for minor tweaks.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason for any team to trade for Westbrook is if they intend to rebuild, still want to put butts in seats and have guys with more than 1 year left on their contracts that they want to move so they can have cap space after next season.

That's a lot of "special circumstances" to have to count on.

I expect that the Lakers will keep throwing stuff out there to see if something sticks...I'll be surprised if anything does.

I mostly agree. But like I said he's still talented enough to win games his teams maybe should not. He isn't a good fit for a rebuild because of that and because of his style of play he isn't a good fit for a contender either. For a hot second he started only driving to the basket with the Rockets and it was very successful and then covid happened.

Unfortunately with Lebron it doesn't work near as well. While Kyrie was ball dominant at times defenses have to respect his shot. They don't with Russ.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way the Lakers can dramatically re-shape their roster is by trading Lebron or AD imo. They're always a player in the buyout market obviously. That's probably their most realistic option to get an impact guy

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way the Lakers can dramatically re-shape their roster is by trading Lebron or AD imo. They're always a player in the buyout market obviously. That's probably their most realistic option to get an impact guy

Thing is, they don't need to dramatically re-shape their roster. They need to get everyone healthy and have Lebron and AD playing at a high level. If they have that, they'll be in the thick of things. If not, they won't.

Now that Vogel has shown that he will sit Westbrook when he feels it's necessary, it will be interesting to see what happens with Westbrooks playing time once the Lakers are healthy.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, they don't need to dramatically re-shape their roster. They need to get everyone healthy and have Lebron and AD playing at a high level. If they have that, they'll be in the thick of things. If not, they won't.

Now that Vogel has shown that he will sit Westbrook when he feels it's necessary, it will be interesting to see what happens with Westbrooks playing time once the Lakers are healthy.

I don't disagree. They have the team they have and when healthy and with Lebron they have a punchers chance

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Further I just don't understand Vogel's love for Reaves. If I'm Wayne Ellington I'm scratching my head. I'd give all the guard minutes to Russ, Bradley, Monk with a dash of Wayne. Maybe mix Nunn in there if he comes back and play THT some as a change up at the 3. But THT has not played well enough to even be in the major rotation for a playoff team.

Tighten up the rotation and stick with something. Especially when AD comes back.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or Cuban is too proud to want to continue to build around a guy who doesn’t want anything to do with them. Dude is not happy with how that franchise is run.

Luka signed his extension in August and is under contract through 2027.

Happy or not, players under contract that long simply don’t have leverage unless they are willing to sit like Simmons is doing.

Even then, what is your Doncic trade?

Simmons + Maxey + Thybulle + 3 firsts might get you there, but ONLY if Luka wants out and Cuban agrees.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep.

Would be really dumb to trade AD right now.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luka signed his extension in August and is under contract through 2027.

Happy or not, players under contract that long simply don’t have leverage unless they are willing to sit like Simmons is doing.

Even then, what is your Doncic trade?

Simmons + Maxey + Thybulle + 3 firsts might get you there, but ONLY if Luka wants out and Cuban agrees.
That sounds plausible for a player of Luka’s abilities. Again, I’m saying it’s a possibility. I know we live in an era where stars beg out of their situations and there’s a lot of smoke around Luka not liking Dallas. My whole point is that there’s 4 or 5 of those chances and all it takes is one to be a better situation than most Simmons deal hypotheticals before this deadline. Not all…but most.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Would be really dumb to trade AD right now.

My only point was the only realistic way to substantially change their roster is to do so. Not that they should. They should not

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on fightinfunbags. The Pacers are presently operating under the belief that they are rebuilding and thus there is a requirement for something new and hopefully better. So they give away some of their assets that they shouldn't. Then when the adrenalin wears off, they realize they didn't have to do what they did and then they have lots of regret. Just ask Pelinka in LA. All of this is commonly known as a FIRE SALE!
Good luck with that