• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021-2022 Mariners offseason/free agency thread

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Figure it would make sense to create a new thread specifically dedicated to the offseason. This offseason will be incredibly monumental both for the team's immediate and long-term future.

To give a little context going into this offseason...

The Mariners currently have the 2nd best farm system in baseball per MLB.com and per Ryan Divish this is what our payroll situation will look like:

"If the Mariners decline Seager’s option, they will pay him a $2 million buyout, while Kikuchi could exercise his player option for 2022 and receive a $14.5 million salary. Even if Kikuchi exercises his player option, Seattle would still have only $30 million in MLB contract commitments. If you add in a conservative projection amount of $25 million for club controlled and arbitration eligible players for the rest of the 40-man roster, it leaves about $55 million in payroll commitments."

To give that a little more perspective, the team's 2021 payroll was estimated to be between $82m to $104m depending on the source. The $104m number I trust more because that number was calculated by a guy who is insanely dedicated to following the Mariners payroll, literally down to the day. To give that a little more context, the Mariners spent $170m in 2018, which would be $185m adjusted for inflation.

The Mariners have a minimum of $49m in payroll to add this offseason to match the $104m they spent in 2021. If you're willing to be more generous and use the 2018 payroll (adjusted for inflation) the Mariners should have $130m in payroll space. My expectation is that Dipoto gets green lighted to spend somewhere in the middle of those two which gives us a lot of flexibility.

There will be no excuses for the Mariners not to go all-in this offseason with more money to spend than just about every team in baseball and the second richest farm system in baseball.

If you're Dipoto, where do you start?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also here are some more questions to get the conversation started...

-Should the Mariners roll with Tom Murphy and Cal Raleigh at catcher?
-What should be done at 3B?
-How should the Mariners proceed with Kyle Lewis and his chronic knee issues?
-Should the Mariners continue adding to a bullpen that massively exceeded expectations?
-If Kikuchi exercises his player option, what do we do with him?
-Should Toro be penciled in at 3B or 2B when there are many other options in free agency?
-What should the starting rotation look like in 2022?
-Should the Mariners be aggressive in adding an outfielder given Kyle Lewis' injury issues, Kelenic's struggles, Haniger's injury history despite the fact that our farm system is loaded with outfielders?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-Should the Mariners continue adding to a bullpen that massively exceeded expectations?
-Should Toro be penciled in at 3B or 2B when there are many other options in free agency?
-Should the Mariners be aggressive in adding an outfielder given Kyle Lewis' injury issues, Kelenic's struggles, Haniger's injury history despite the fact that our farm system is loaded with outfielders?
I know I'm talking to myself here, I promise I'm not losing my mind yet.

I pose these questions because these are questions I ask myself going into the offseason. In a dream scenario we sign Kris Bryant and Marcus Semien. Marcus Semien at 2nd, Kris Bryant at LF and Toro at 3B could provide a lot of options for us. If Toro struggles and Julio is knocking on the door, we can bench Toro, move Kris Bryant to third and put Julio in the outfield. I know @NWinAZ proposed something similar and I think it makes a lot of sense if it can happen.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll start with this article I read on lookout landing.

This wouldn't help the immediate future of the team but I definitely think this would be a great move.
I read this a few weeks back and still don't understand why we would do it. If I remember it correctly, the pitcher would be out all next year and a free agent after the 2023 season meaning we get him for one year coming off a year plus rehab. Please correct me if I am wrong because it was a couple weeks back and too lazy to read it again...lol.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the recent Dipoto talk bs. The paragraph below was the most interesting to me because it goes against something I said on here weeks back and that is it is time to stop going for gamble players and start getting more sure things. Apparently that may still happen (the gambles not the sure things).

“I’m most excited about talking to good players about playing for a good team in Seattle,” Dipoto said. “In recent years as we’ve been going through this rebuild we have often times tried to find I guess diamonds in the rough. We will continue to operate in that area because we’ve found star-like contributors for our team in those spaces. But (I’m excited) to go out and talk to really good players with resumes at the major league level and see how they fit with the Mariners … That’s what I’m looking forward to as those conversations and it’s a lot of fun to talk to players about what we have going on and I think there are a lot of players around the league that saw what happened here this last week and especially on the weekend. There was a buzz in Seattle and it caught baseball by surprise rather than just the city.”

We have? Flexen I guess. RP's never count for anything because they are so year to year and cheap to get it isn't really finding diamonds in the rough but right time while throwing all kinds of crap at the wall at the same time to see what sticks.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
disagree...with doyle on white...........he is a power hitter..at the plate...and a gold glove..at 1st base..???...nooooo...im not willing to give up...yeeet..
noo.nnooo..and...nnnooo..dont even...look at him....lolol

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i can only answer...........from the way i see it...idk on the mariners........

the mariners can..roll with murphy and Raleigh..at catcher...will they...idk

toro at 3B...

lewis is a huge issue....that we will have to wait....to see...hopefully..at worst..he plays DH...a lot...or mostly...at best he is back in CF/LF..cuz..fraley or kelenic can handle it at times when....lewis is getting tired...that would not be a big deal...........

bull pen......if they dont trade anyone then they...should be fine with who they have....i like to add..Aaron Loup 32..but it is not a huge..deal..
left hand E-spec-ial......

kuchi..bull pen long relief..what else can..you do with him.....he strait ...went south..after..the all star break.......BURNED OUT...in effect...he did not have his good stuff....so that is what that meant...too me................i would be happy to be wrong.....on this one............

toro...3B

i penciled in my rotation in the other thread..but..i will put it at the bottom as well...

outfield...not yet...wait to see if there is a prob...........
haniger...RF
lewis...........CF
Kelenic...LF
fraley....LF/CF
Jake Bauers 5..zero trade value...i have to see what he can do...comming out of spring.......cuz..he still has..potential..........

at tacoma..
Cade Marlowe 10..is at tacoma..now..but i expect he will be at AA....but maybe not.........LF/RF
Taylor Trammell 20...he will be even better...wait and see..........LF/CF
Julio Rodríguez 41R/R6' 3"18012/29/2000ActiveNo
LF..julio..is ...a LF guy..right now
well that is 5 up..and 4 down..i dont think they need any ...more than that

rotation

Robbie Ray
L/L6' 2"21510/01/1991
Noah Syndergaard 34L/R6' 6"24208/29/1992
Marco Gonzales 7L/L6' 1"19702/16/1992
Chris Flexen 77R/R6' 3"25007/01/1994
Tyler Anderson 31L/L6' 2"22012/30/1989
Logan Gilbert 36R/R6' 6"22505/05/1997
the basic rotation
yep..2 free agents..
ifNoah Syndergaard 34..ends up being the ace...its ok..either one.......

Last edited:

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lots of questions and options going forward. Kelenic's struggles were kind of expected going to the bigs and the expectations he put on himself as well as the M's expectations for him. Starting him in the lead off spot, in my opinion, was the dumbest thing to do to the kid. He's going to continue to grow and mature so I'm not concerned about him. Dip's activity will be interesting and pretty much tell us what we can expect for 2022. Third base and starters is where my thoughts are going. Off topic.....looks like Boston will take that series and I'm enjoying the Sox and Stros battle it out. :D

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this
is a fun one that works...but just because it works.does not mean they wil do it..

NamePositionMTV ($Ms)
KikuchiSP-5.6
MarteSS58.3
RinehartRHP0.4

Total Value..53.10​

like a 2 for one sale..on this side
NamePositionMTV ($Ms)
Gorman3B37.7
Sosa2B15.4

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the recent Dipoto talk bs. The paragraph below was the most interesting to me because it goes against something I said on here weeks back and that is it is time to stop going for gamble players and start getting more sure things. Apparently that may still happen (the gambles not the sure things).

“I’m most excited about talking to good players about playing for a good team in Seattle,” Dipoto said. “In recent years as we’ve been going through this rebuild we have often times tried to find I guess diamonds in the rough. We will continue to operate in that area because we’ve found star-like contributors for our team in those spaces. But (I’m excited) to go out and talk to really good players with resumes at the major league level and see how they fit with the Mariners … That’s what I’m looking forward to as those conversations and it’s a lot of fun to talk to players about what we have going on and I think there are a lot of players around the league that saw what happened here this last week and especially on the weekend. There was a buzz in Seattle and it caught baseball by surprise rather than just the city.”

We have? Flexen I guess. RP's never count for anything because they are so year to year and cheap to get it isn't really finding diamonds in the rough but right time while throwing all kinds of crap at the wall at the same time to see what sticks.
What I don’t understand is his comments of needing to free agency shop to lengthen the lineup but the first step of that is to not re sign the number 4 hitter. The send off the players gave him with the tears and stuff just screams out resign him to be that team leader where if they don’t get Semien, Seager will have more years in the bigs than the rest of the position players combined . Seager still produced so it isn’t likely a Griffey signing where there isn’t any on field contribution.

Resigning Seager helps the off-season. You could then put all of the money into 2B, C and SP. Then a pie in the sky deal is trading White, Kyle Lewis/Haniger and a lesser prospect like DTW for an ace.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NamePositionMTV ($Ms)
KikuchiSP-5.6
MarteSS58.3
Rizzo3B0.3

Total Value: 53.00​

NamePositionMTV ($Ms)
ChisholmSS42.5
NunezSS8.4
ScottOF2.1

Total Value: 53.00​

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nothing like taking it up the backside..and to the yankees....lololol
NameAgeLevelP1P2AvailablilityYearsAFVSalarySurplusLowMedianHigh
ClaseMinorsOF2.41.92.42.9
Kikuchi30MajorsSPHigh4.07.413.0-5.6-6.7-5.6-4.5
ThenMinorsRHP4.93.94.95.9

Total Value: 1.70​

Mariners

NameAgeLevelP1P2AvailablilityYearsAFVSalarySurplusLowMedianHigh
MonteroMinorsSS1.71.41.72

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this a few weeks back and still don't understand why we would do it. If I remember it correctly, the pitcher would be out all next year and a free agent after the 2023 season meaning we get him for one year coming off a year plus rehab. Please correct me if I am wrong because it was a couple weeks back and too lazy to read it again...lol.
The reason I'm in favor of it is I don't really see what else we do with Evan White aside from trading him.

You're correct regarding Glasnow's injury situation and the belief is that he'd be ready for the 2023 season, then become a free agent. The reason I like the trade is that I don't see that Evan White fits into the future of this team in any capacity be it in 2022 or 2023, and I'll be honest I absolutely love Glasnow.

I'm operating under the assumption that he is able to fully recover, but Glasnow's stuff is ridiculous. He throws 100mph with ease even 90+ pitches into the game and has great secondary pitches. It would be a gamble on his health, but he has a Cy Young caliber pitch arsenal.

There's a ton of holes to be poked in this move, but I honestly don't really see what to do with Evan White.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can only answer...........from the way i see it...idk on the mariners........

the mariners can..roll with murphy and Raleigh..at catcher...will they...idk

toro at 3B...

lewis is a huge issue....that we will have to wait....to see...hopefully..at worst..he plays DH...a lot...or mostly...at best he is back in CF/LF..cuz..fraley or kelenic can handle it at times when....lewis is getting tired...that would not be a big deal...........

bull pen......if they dont trade anyone then they...should be fine with who they have....i like to add..Aaron Loup 32..but it is not a huge..deal..
left hand E-spec-ial......

kuchi..bull pen long relief..what else can..you do with him.....he strait ...went south..after..the all star break.......BURNED OUT...in effect...he did not have his good stuff....so that is what that meant...too me................i would be happy to be wrong.....on this one............

toro...3B

i penciled in my rotation in the other thread..but..i will put it at the bottom as well...

outfield...not yet...wait to see if there is a prob...........
haniger...RF
lewis...........CF
Kelenic...LF
fraley....LF/CF
Jake Bauers 5..zero trade value...i have to see what he can do...comming out of spring.......cuz..he still has..potential..........

at tacoma..
Cade Marlowe 10..is at tacoma..now..but i expect he will be at AA....but maybe not.........LF/RF
Taylor Trammell 20...he will be even better...wait and see..........LF/CF
Julio Rodríguez 41R/R6' 3"18012/29/2000ActiveNo
LF..julio..is ...a LF guy..right now
well that is 5 up..and 4 down..i dont think they need any ...more than that

rotation

Robbie Ray
L/L6' 2"21510/01/1991
Noah Syndergaard 34L/R6' 6"24208/29/1992
Marco Gonzales 7L/L6' 1"19702/16/1992
Chris Flexen 77R/R6' 3"25007/01/1994
Tyler Anderson 31L/L6' 2"22012/30/1989
Logan Gilbert 36R/R6' 6"22505/05/1997
the basic rotation
yep..2 free agents..
ifNoah Syndergaard 34..ends up being the ace...its ok..either one.......
I see a little bit of risk running with Toro at 3B.

I like him a lot, but I think it's a fair question to ask if he is an upgrade over Seager at third. Despite Seager's BA/OBP he did hit 35 HRs, drive in 101 RBIs along with 29 doubles. Also if you value OPS as a indicator of player performance, Seager had an OPS of .723 in comparison to Toro's .695.

I think that's why adding Kris Bryant and Marcus Semien makes a lot of sense if possible. Semien could take over second, Bryant could start in LF and move to 3B if Toro doesn't produce.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is perfect type of Jerry trade. But isn’t Glasnow out for next year?
Damn bro... You could've just said you didn't like the idea of the trade... Saying it's the perfect type of Jerry trade is a really low blow...

Jokes aside, the reason I like the idea of trading for him is because Evan White will be a non-factor in 2022 and 2023 in all likelihood and even though Glasnow wouldn't be back until 2023, I absolutely love Glasnow's stuff.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don’t understand is his comments of needing to free agency shop to lengthen the lineup but the first step of that is to not re sign the number 4 hitter. The send off the players gave him with the tears and stuff just screams out resign him to be that team leader where if they don’t get Semien, Seager will have more years in the bigs than the rest of the position players combined . Seager still produced so it isn’t likely a Griffey signing where there isn’t any on field contribution.

Resigning Seager helps the off-season. You could then put all of the money into 2B, C and SP. Then a pie in the sky deal is trading White, Kyle Lewis/Haniger and a lesser prospect like DTW for an ace.
I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that bringing Seager back is a good idea.

I'm of the mind that Toro won't give us the offensive production that Seager did at third and that there aren't many viable options to improve at third over Seager other than Kris Bryant - which is probably unrealistic.

Additionally, as you mentioned he gives us that veteran presence in the clubhouse. I also don't see why not bring back the arguably second most impactful player we had at the plate in 2021. The Mariners don't need to exercise his $20m option as I'm sure that Kyle Seager wouldn't mind coming back to the organization he has been employed by since he was 21 years old with a fanbase that adores him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of questions and options going forward. Kelenic's struggles were kind of expected going to the bigs and the expectations he put on himself as well as the M's expectations for him. Starting him in the lead off spot, in my opinion, was the dumbest thing to do to the kid. He's going to continue to grow and mature so I'm not concerned about him. Dip's activity will be interesting and pretty much tell us what we can expect for 2022. Third base and starters is where my thoughts are going. Off topic.....looks like Boston will take that series and I'm enjoying the Sox and Stros battle it out. :D
Honestly I think that Kelenic will look a lot better in 2022 than he did in 2021.

Kelenic hit .248/.331/.524 with 7 HRs, 6 doubles, 20 RBIs, a triple and 3 steals in his last 29 games. That would be 34 doubles, 6 triples, 39 HRs, 17 steals, and 112 RBIs over a 162 game season.

In comparison, Kelenic hit .151/.236/.272 in his first 64 games with 7 doubles, 7 HRs, 23 RBIs, and 3 steals. It would appear he figured something out at the plate the last month of the season.