• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 NHL Offseason Thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this the same Joe Sakic who was much maligned in his first couple of years as GM? The tank job they did to land MacKinnon sure paid off, but Burnaby Joe has been pretty good at his job the last few seasons.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, if you sign a guy to a 1 year deal, do you need to state what the AAV is? I think we can figure that out lol

I was told there would be no math.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
that's a cap.... 22 bodies

$12M - goalies
$29.7M defense
$45.9 forwards
---------
lots

10 players at $5M or more, with Tuch a rounding error away at $4.75

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's a cap.... 22 bodies

$12M - goalies
$29.7M defense
$45.9 forwards
---------
lots

10 players at $5M or more, with Tuch a rounding error away at $4.75

The thing that bothers me is Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft.

/Thanks Gary.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
The thing that bothers me is Vegas is exempt from the Seattle expansion draft.

/Thanks Gary.
they aren't getting a cut of Seattle's expansion fee, so that doesn't bother me.
they did a phenomenal job taking advantage of other teams to build a strong club
(draft rules were pretty damned generous, and still are, but that's another topic)

Will be interesting to see how many players they have to shed to get under the cap.
lot of top end contracts

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they aren't getting a cut of Seattle's expansion fee, so that doesn't bother me.
they did a phenomenal job taking advantage of other teams to build a strong club
(draft rules were pretty damned generous, and still are, but that's another topic)

Will be interesting to see how many players they have to shed to get under the cap.
lot of top end contracts

Agreed about the phenomenal job they did, but I'd rather give Vegas expansion dollars from Seattle and force them to have the same concerns that the other 30 teams in the league will have to deal with.

Teams that realize they will lose talented players to Seattle might see Vegas as a workaround, and because the Golden Knights’ don’t have to worry about a protection list, they can afford to fit more talent further down their roster.

For example, if Team A decides they will protect eight skaters, and their ninth best skater is significantly better than their tenth best, they may choose to trade the ninth best to Vegas for young assets and lose the tenth best skater to Seattle.

The team would be losing two skaters instead of one, but the assets they get back for one is better than losing him alone for nothing. It’s a unique situation and requires a significant gap between a team’s ninth and 10th best skaters.

To be fair, Team A could make a deal with any team in the NHL. The difference is the other 30 teams would have to make room on their ever-so-precious protected list for the incoming player, and the Golden Knights have no such worry.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This does not sound like it's in the spirit of the cap. That'll be a first, third and a couple million in fines.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll take Tuch for a fifth rounder.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I guess we now know why Benning didn't try to keep Toffoli.

I'd rather have Schmidt.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Leafs were out on Piet, and STL was out, and the only place he flew to visit was Vegas, why did he still cost $8.8m AAV in a no-state-tax jurisdiction? Who were they bidding against?

And what was he going to cost Toronto? $10 mil?

I like him and his game and was willing to pay despite the fact the contract would 100% look bad by year 4 or 5 most likely but yeah I’m good without that one.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Leafs were out on Piet, and STL was out, and the only place he flew to visit was Vegas, why did he still cost $8.8m AAV in a no-state-tax jurisdiction? Who were they bidding against?

I like him and his game and was willing to pay despite the fact the contract would 100% look bad by year 4 or 5 most likely but yeah I’m good without that one.

I wondered the same thing. I do not think there were any serious suitors at that price point. Even at $8M AAV, glad the Leafs passed.

BTW, once I heard he was visiting Summerlin specifically, I knew he was bound for Vegas. That is by far the nicest area in Vegas to live, and its where the Knights practice facility is located. I have looked at several houses in Summerlin and if/when the real estate market crashes again, that is where I would buy.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wondered the same thing. I do not think there were any serious suitors at that price point. Even at $8M AAV, glad the Leafs passed.

BTW, once I heard he was visiting Summerlin specifically, I knew he was bound for Vegas. That is by far the nicest area in Vegas to live, and its where the Knights practice facility is located. I have looked at several houses in Summerlin and if/when the real estate market crashes again, that is where I would buy.
I would've gone for it at $8m but Vegas would've offered more obviously. $8m would've been the hometown discount and he clearly wasn't willing to entertain that.

He's from King City, which is probably the second-nicest suburb in the GTA after lower Oakville. The STL burbs are pretty nice too from what I understand so I'm sure it didn't hurt.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

might have been in the posturing stage, but I remember reading that his number for St Lou was $9.5MM