• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 draft thread

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't need to be satisfied. You did not answer my question though. What makes Haskins better? They both had one full year. I didn't say you were wrong about your analysis … research of Burrows. I do not think Burrows is a sure thing and going to Cincinnati won't help. Much like I said being drafted by the Redskins wouldn't help Haskins. Hoping the new coaching staff changes my though process there.

By the way I agree about Joe Brady but Haskins prospered by being at Ohio State. I don't think Tua is a sure thing either. That kid Love might be the best QB in the draft.

This is from a draft analysis site, probably much like you used.

Strengths
  • Off-the-charts football IQ and intangibles
  • Plays with brazen field presence and poise
  • Rapid ascension to chess master who can beat up coverages thrown at him
  • Initial field glances are often lies being told to safeties
  • Gets through full-field progressions with unique internal clock timed to the routes
  • Decisive from read to release with elite precision and placement
  • Stuck it into impossible windows on several occasions
  • Very good timing and anticipation
  • Throws pass-catchers away from coverage and into space
  • Throws with superb touch and trusts receivers to make the play
  • Deep dime-dropper, completing 55 percent with 24 TDs and 2 INTs in 2019
  • Separates from rush with deft climbs, slides and escapes
  • Above-average toughness in pocket and as runner
  • Unexpected wiggle to elude when scrambling
  • Makes explosive, off-schedule plays while on the move
  • Can deliver back-breaking runs to move the chains
Weaknesses

• Polar opposite seasons in 2018 and 2019
  • A level of scheme fit is necessary
  • Below-average arm strength and average release quickness
  • Tends to work into more condensed areas of the field
  • Steep drop in accuracy on intermediate throws outside the numbers
  • Requires top-notch timing for out-breaking throws as a pro
  • Saw nose of ball dive on some throws field-side
  • Spotty high/low combo throws against long boundary CBs when they play it low to high
  • Early issues handling Clemson's disguised blitz packages
  • Scheme created clearer reads and easier one-on-one throws
  • Took sacks he didn't need to

Anyhow I am not a proponent of drafting another QB unless it is round 4 or later. Looking back (I know it is only 6 games) but it seems Haskins can move more in the pocket than many said right before he came out. He took a higher number of sacks than Keenum 29 to 15. His sack percentage was over 12%. So that one pre-draft comment versus actual production is still debatable I guess. Then too, it might just be indicative of a very young QB learning the pro game.

I'll answer your new question but first let me point out that you never asked "what made him better"
Your actual question was "What is the difference between Haskins and Burrow other than 10 more TD passes and a NC??"
I clearly pointed out difference between the two coming out of school. Now if you don't want to acknowledge them that's a different discussion.
Now to your new question, "better." At this point I would say pro game experience and the aforementioned steeper learning curve based upon the weaknesses outlined. You have to admit that regardless of skill, a rookie is still a rookie.

One other thing with respect to my question "satisfied?"
Perhaps in an over cautious moment based upon our previous discussion on bias, I wanted to be sure that there was no built-in or perceived bias. I honestly tried to stick strictly with what I read about and verified while watching game video. Nothing more, nothing less.