• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2020 Commit List (in OP) and General Recruiting Thread

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying he sucks. He may turn out to be a good get for Nebraska. But if he's that good of a QB, I'm surprised I never heard of him before. That, and the fact that the only in-state offers he got were from Troy & South Alabama, should be a clue to how he was evaluated by most of the big name schools in the area.

Maybe Nebraska sees something in him that the other schools don't.

It may come as a surprise to you but Alabama is known to shop by the stars and miss the hidden gems. Case in point, Ameer Abdullah. Alabama's thought, didn't have the stars to play running back. Nebraska's thought, hard worker, fast & shifty, come on up. That thought seems to have worked out pretty well for both him and Nebraska.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s really us and wisconsin, if I’m choosing between Frost and chryst... N

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may come as a surprise to you but Alabama is known to shop by the stars and miss the hidden gems. Case in point, Ameer Abdullah. Alabama's thought, didn't have the stars to play running back. Nebraska's thought, hard worker, fast & shifty, come on up. That thought seems to have worked out pretty well for both him and Nebraska.

Alabama has definitely missed on a few in-state prospects in the past, but there were a couple of years there where we were top-heavy with running backs & a lot of players weren't getting to play very much. Even though a good bit of those guys ended up transferring, enough of them stuck around that we didn't recruit the RB position too heavily for a year or two. I don't know if Ameer fell into this category or if he was simply overlooked.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of the real studs at QB in the Alabama prep ranks were in the 2018-19 class. I believe the offerings for 2020 are pretty weak. I'd never even heard of Smothers until I saw this post. Looks like the only other schools that showed interest were South Alabama, Southern Miss, Austin Peay, Louisville, Ole Miss & Troy.

I'm not saying he sucks. He may turn out to be a good get for Nebraska. But if he's that good of a QB, I'm surprised I never heard of him before. That, and the fact that the only in-state offers he got were from Troy & South Alabama, should be a clue to how he was evaluated by most of the big name schools in the area.

Maybe Nebraska sees something in him that the other schools don't.

Alabama has definitely missed on a few in-state prospects in the past, but there were a couple of years there where we were top-heavy with running backs & a lot of players weren't getting to play very much. Even though a good bit of those guys ended up transferring, enough of them stuck around that we didn't recruit the RB position too heavily for a year or two. I don't know if Ameer fell into this category or if he was simply overlooked.

Not sure how we got off track here, but BamaDude was on point until he got distracted.

Ameer had P5 offers from Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Southern Cal, South Carolina, West Virginia, Louisville. He had eight fair to good mid-major offers from Arkansas St, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tenn St, South Florida, Southern Miss, and UAB.
Ameer Abdullah, 2011 Athlete - Rivals

Smothers has just two P5 offers in Louisville and Ole Miss.
Mid-major offers from South Alabama, Southern Miss, & Troy.

That Bama didn't offer either is meaningless to his original point.

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how we got off track here, but BamaDude was on point until he got distracted.

Ameer had P5 offers from Auburn, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Southern Cal, South Carolina, West Virginia, Louisville. He had eight fair to good mid-major offers from Arkansas St, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tenn St, South Florida, Southern Miss, and UAB.
Ameer Abdullah, 2011 Athlete - Rivals

Smothers has just two P5 offers in Louisville and Ole Miss.
Mid-major offers from South Alabama, Southern Miss, & Troy.

That Bama didn't offer either is meaningless to his original point.

The original point still stands. Smothers only has two offers from P-5 programs - neither of which is at its best right now - and most of his offers are from mid-major schools that don't usually go head-to-head in the recruiting wars against the best P-5 teams.

The fact that Ameer Amdullah was a good player that could have been overlooked by the tide does not negate the feeling that Smothers would probably not even see the field on a regular basis (unless he played another position) if he were on one of the same teams that the top 3 quarterbacks from Alabama played on last year.

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point about Smothers is moot TBH... he's a decent player that Nebraska is taking a chance on in the 2020 class. Adrian Martinez is only a sophomore this season. The 2021 class is the big one for QB for Nebraska. Smothers is a depth and development QB. Take a chance on him, he's the son of a coach, friends with multiple highly rated players in the 2020 class and he has the potential to be a really good QB if everything clicks. He's a good take with two years to develop behind Martinez.

All that said, Nebraska is going to have a big visit weekend this weekend... A few OVs and a lot of unofficial visitors as well. I'll update when I can with a different thread. Look for things to pick up in the recruiting lane this month and next.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust that Frost will find a good place to utilize Smother's speed.

To add to that, Mariotta was just a 3*.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me the lamp, the rest is yours but the lamp is mine!

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helluva list of players, out to 22 class even, visiting for the spring game. Not for true if @Footballnut is working on the full list...I’ll post it up if not

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helluva list of players, out to 22 class even, visiting for the spring game. Not for true if @Footballnut is working on the full list...I’ll post it up if not

If @Footballnut says he is going to post something, he HAS always posted it. 100% faith it will be done.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense recruits

QB check I think the coaches have proven they know QB talent with Martinez and McCaffrey. Smothers is probably pretty good
WR check
OT check very impressive to get Mr. Corcoran's commitment WOW

Talk about hitting the check boxes on the early recruits.

Chinander and Ruud need to pick up their game on the defensive side.

Fill out the rest and this will be a top 20 class. Easy,

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zavier Betts tested well at Nike’s The Opening camp over the weekend in St. Louis.

Betts was among the weekend’s top performers, checking in with a “Sparq” score of 122.22, good for No. 4 overall at the camp.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a bump in the composite, eSpin is dragging him down. Just barely out of the 5* range, that could change during the season

FYI

Lucky and Septak are the 2 ahead, he’s in front of Green and Baker

Nebraska All Time Football Recruits

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just 1 cycle for SF, and barely into the ‘20 class, he’s brought in 7 of the top 30 highest rated recruits all time since rankings first started to be tracked 1998 ish I think.

I count about 10 however in the top 30 that either flamed out of never made it to campus