• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019 Rookie draft

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've mentioned before, this dude is weird. The definition of a "bowling ball" style RB. Was fun watching run run over most college LB's, and Lord help any poor DB's that tried to take him on. And his 49 time actually surprises me a bit, I was expecting slower.
But, he's not likely a good fit in today's NFL, wouldn't be shocked to see him go day 3, more likely signed right after the draft, but would definitely be surprised to see him carve out any type of fantasy relevant type role with pretty much any team...except maybe Baltimore

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF he can read a defense
true, but in the air raid correct me if im wrong, you dont need to neccessarily have multiple reads do you? theres alot of guys, josh allen-jackson-and a few established, who cant read the d

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I've mentioned before, this dude is weird. The definition of a "bowling ball" style RB. Was fun watching run run over most college LB's, and Lord help any poor DB's that tried to take him on. And his 49 time actually surprises me a bit, I was expecting slower.
But, he's not likely a good fit in today's NFL, wouldn't be shocked to see him go day 3, more likely signed right after the draft, but would definitely be surprised to see him carve out any type of fantasy relevant type role with pretty much any team...except maybe Baltimore
i read a draft site yesterday that had him rated in their top3 backs.......

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true, but in the air raid correct me if im wrong, you dont need to neccessarily have multiple reads do you? theres alot of guys, josh allen-jackson-and a few established, who cant read the d
Both the guys you mentioned can throw pretty balls but sucked at the passing aspect of their respective teams, and relied on the run to move the ball. In an air raid?yea, reading the D would be pretty crucial, unless you want to convert to a ground and pound mid season

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both the guys you mentioned can throw pretty balls but sucked at the passing aspect of their respective teams, and relied on the run to move the ball. In an air raid?yea, reading the D would be pretty crucial, unless you want to convert to a ground and pound mid season

again im not arguing, im not the best with this stuff but,

"
Rather than running the ball, an air raid system uses short passes to replace a balanced running attack. Quarterbacks in this offensive system often throw the ball over 75% of the time and usually end up with stellar passing statistics as a result of its simplicity and an increased number of pass attempts.

The air raid system was pioneered by Hal Mumme, while Mike Leach was his offensive coordinator at Kentucky and Valdosta State. Leach had great success using the air raid scheme during his tenure at Texas Tech.

Critics of this system believe that it under utilizes receivers' route running ability and hides the quarterback's ability to throw the ball long."

isnt this due to mostly 1-2 reads and short quick attempts.........in sense, only reading a portion of the field

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again im not arguing, im not the best with this stuff but,

"
Rather than running the ball, an air raid system uses short passes to replace a balanced running attack. Quarterbacks in this offensive system often throw the ball over 75% of the time and usually end up with stellar passing statistics as a result of its simplicity and an increased number of pass attempts.

The air raid system was pioneered by Hal Mumme, while Mike Leach was his offensive coordinator at Kentucky and Valdosta State. Leach had great success using the air raid scheme during his tenure at Texas Tech.

Critics of this system believe that it under utilizes receivers' route running ability and hides the quarterback's ability to throw the ball long."

isnt this due to mostly 1-2 reads and short quick attempts.........in sense, only reading a portion of the field
Sure there's aspects that help mask those deficiencies, but no matter what, if you're putting the ball in the air with no idea of what the LB's coverage might be, who's dropping, who's blitzing, is it cover one, cover 2, man, which guy has my man, is that guy playing inside or outside..etc..etc..without at least a moderate understanding of that stuff, you end up with a lot of turnovers and or sacks.

And at the pro level, you can't call a play and a read into the QB after the D lines up, so the coach himself has to relearn how to call his entire system, and the rookie QB will have to relearn along with him

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, we will start at the top: Kyler Murray. He didn’t participate in the combine but he did the interviews and did get measured. It seems that’s all he needed to do. He will throw at his pro day, but the most important factor was his height. Well, he is 5’10” and you should have seen how the buzz started after his measurables were sent out to the GMs in the NFL. Here is my evaluation of Murray:

He has a quick release, is very athletic, and can throw the ball from a variety of different platforms.

The only drawback is that it takes him a while to find his third WR in his progressions. That can be cleaned up if he is in a system that helps him with that. The hype is real. He’s very athletic, and I mean scary athletic and is fast, and quick. As far as comparisons go, he’s a combination of Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. He will have to figure it out once he reaches the next level, but I think he is the best quarterback in the draft.

As far as the buzz goes, it’s so serious that the Arizona Cardinals are thinking about trading Josh Rosen and taking Kyler with the first pick. This should be taken very seriously because the Arizona coach was the college coach that tried to recruit Kyler Murray out of high school, and had Kyler ranked higher than Josh Rosen and Patrick Mahomes on that same recruiting board.

I agree with the following

Will D.K. Metcalf Hit, or Just Be a Big Ole Miss? - Dynasty Football Factory

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the thing that scares me the most about Murray is the mental aspect, and what it appears his system/coach situation will be. That, and that with only one year, its hard to say he's a seasoned QUARTERBACK, and far from a lock as to the best QB in the draft.

I won't argue that he isnt a freak athlete, that Heismen sitting on his shelf proves he was amongst the best collegiate athletes last year. I won't argue that if he has that mental side, he could be something extra special. I won't argue that if the previous if pans out, AND IF Kingsbury's system can succeed in the NFL, he could be insane.

Its just that those are some massive if's, and BOTH need to be affirmative for either to be successful.
What would really suck is if Murray is all that and a bag of chips, but the air raid isn't, is Kyler labeled a bust because of it, how quickly does he show up at spring training?

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, we will start at the top: Kyler Murray. He didn’t participate in the combine but he did the interviews and did get measured. It seems that’s all he needed to do. He will throw at his pro day, but the most important factor was his height. Well, he is 5’10” and you should have seen how the buzz started after his measurables were sent out to the GMs in the NFL. Here is my evaluation of Murray:

He has a quick release, is very athletic, and can throw the ball from a variety of different platforms.

The only drawback is that it takes him a while to find his third WR in his progressions. That can be cleaned up if he is in a system that helps him with that. The hype is real. He’s very athletic, and I mean scary athletic and is fast, and quick. As far as comparisons go, he’s a combination of Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers. He will have to figure it out once he reaches the next level, but I think he is the best quarterback in the draft.

As far as the buzz goes, it’s so serious that the Arizona Cardinals are thinking about trading Josh Rosen and taking Kyler with the first pick. This should be taken very seriously because the Arizona coach was the college coach that tried to recruit Kyler Murray out of high school, and had Kyler ranked higher than Josh Rosen and Patrick Mahomes on that same recruiting board.

I agree with the following

Will D.K. Metcalf Hit, or Just Be a Big Ole Miss? - Dynasty Football Factory
Love the spider graph on Metcalf. Reminds me of Darrius Hayward Bey's

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love the spider graph on Metcalf. Reminds me of Darrius Hayward Bey's
yep, dudes a workout freak, straight line freak, cant pivot, and never really played much in college.......i dont get it

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the thing that scares me the most about Murray is the mental aspect, and what it appears his system/coach situation will be. That, and that with only one year, its hard to say he's a seasoned QUARTERBACK, and far from a lock as to the best QB in the draft.

I won't argue that he isnt a freak athlete, that Heismen sitting on his shelf proves he was amongst the best collegiate athletes last year. I won't argue that if he has that mental side, he could be something extra special. I won't argue that if the previous if pans out, AND IF Kingsbury's system can succeed in the NFL, he could be insane.

Its just that those are some massive if's, and BOTH need to be affirmative for either to be successful.
What would really suck is if Murray is all that and a bag of chips, but the air raid isn't, is Kyler labeled a bust because of it, how quickly does he show up at spring training?
cant disagree with u there. but i think the system aspect and such goes for alot of qb's. I am always worried about a one year wonder at qb. But some have been successful. I hate to ask this but coming out of college. WHo are would you be more confident in

mitch trubisky
or
kyler murray

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cant disagree with u there. but i think the system aspect and such goes for alot of qb's. I am always worried about a one year wonder at qb. But some have been successful. I hate to ask this but coming out of college. WHo are would you be more confident in

mitch trubisky
or
kyler murray
Ot can be said for probably 75% of the QB's in the league, for sure. Its just that has there ever been a rookie head coach, with a fancy pants college system that isnt something that's proven to work, and using a rookie QB to run it? Its scary unchartered waters.

As to the question, again it would depend on my situation. If I needed a QB to run a mostly traditional offense, I'd probably want Trubisky, or in this years draft, Haskins or Lock. If I wanted to do something like what Baltimore has, maybe Murray. Now Murray COULD be Mahommes, but, there's not enough evidence to suggest he's got the aspect of the game down, nor do I have an Alex Smith sitting there to mentor him for a year, so I'd probably pass on him, and Take Haskins, Lack, maybe even Jones.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ot can be said for probably 75% of the QB's in the league, for sure. Its just that has there ever been a rookie head coach, with a fancy pants college system that isnt something that's proven to work, and using a rookie QB to run it? Its scary unchartered waters.

As to the question, again it would depend on my situation. If I needed a QB to run a mostly traditional offense, I'd probably want Trubisky, or in this years draft, Haskins or Lock. If I wanted to do something like what Baltimore has, maybe Murray. Now Murray COULD be Mahommes, but, there's not enough evidence to suggest he's got the aspect of the game down, nor do I have an Alex Smith sitting there to mentor him for a year, so I'd probably pass on him, and Take Haskins, Lack, maybe even Jones.
i agree.
THe reason i picked trubs was the one year starter, guess the same can be said for haskins.
im not disagreeing with any of your points, but feel like theres always so many questions marks with guys coming out at the qb position. For instance this year, i dont like lock. He has a cannon, but struggled every single time he played good comp, but he destroyed shitty teams.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree.
THe reason i picked trubs was the one year starter, guess the same can be said for haskins.
im not disagreeing with any of your points, but feel like theres always so many questions marks with guys coming out at the qb position. For instance this year, i dont like lock. He has a cannon, but struggled every single time he played good comp, but he destroyed shitty teams.
Not entirely sold on Lock myself, just feel it'd be easier to mold an offense around him, or vice versa than what I feel is a wild card. With Haskins, I know he's also the one year starter, I just get a better feel that he has that part of the game, can't explain why, just a hunch. Regardless, with any of them, I'd really feel better having a veteran starter and give em all a year, or more, on the bench. I think a team like NE, Denver, Pittsburgh.. Teams with guys nearing the end would all be better fits with this class

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not entirely sold on Lock myself, just feel it'd be easier to mold an offense around him, or vice versa than what I feel is a wild card. With Haskins, I know he's also the one year starter, I just get a better feel that he has that part of the game, can't explain why, just a hunch. Regardless, with any of them, I'd really feel better having a veteran starter and give em all a year, or more, on the bench. I think a team like NE, Denver, Pittsburgh.. Teams with guys nearing the end would all be better fits with this class
i totally agree with you. I would love to have a guy waiting in the wings. But i fear they think thats rudolph. But myself and other fans also think they know hes not the answer and the f'd up drafting him, he couldnt even beat out dobbs. Next years class is loaded, id rather have one of those guys........because for us we wont get the top end talent

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate the opinions guys. Especially for a rookie hater like me.

Let's assume Kyler Murray is good enough to be successful long term in the NFL. Most rookie QB will still struggle in their first year. A bigger red flag to me is he has a head coach with zero NFL experience. And an offensive coordinator with 5 years experience.

To Treff's point, you have a HC, OC and QB with very limited experience reading defenses. That can't be good for Murray to expect a decent rookie season IMO. (Or even a good sophomore season.)

Last edited: