• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I mean yeah, if we hot tub time machine the 90's Bulls, Showtime Lakers, or Birds Celtics, they may not. By the same token, if you drop a team from today, into those eras, they'd also struggle.

But if those same teams, with those same players came up playing the way the game is played now, they'd be just as good. I'd wager that the same would hold true for today's players if they came up playing like they did in the 80's and 90's.

I can agree with that, too. I was thinking about a time machine situation. The greats are going to adjust to whatever. Just as the greats from the past could adjust and do what is needed today, the players today could adjust to whatever rules or style of play from the past. I think the tendency is to glorify the past, and I think it's ridiculous when people say that the players and teams today couldn't handle the Eighties or Nineties NBA because it was too tough. These players made it to where they are today because they are tough and wouldn't let other guys beat them out. Also, the talent pool is even bigger today, so it's even more competitive to make it today.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I mean yeah, if we hot tub time machine the 90's Bulls, Showtime Lakers, or Birds Celtics, they may not. By the same token, if you drop a team from today, into those eras, they'd also struggle.

But if those same teams, with those same players came up playing the way the game is played now, they'd be just as good. I'd wager that the same would hold true for today's players if they came up playing like they did in the 80's and 90's.

The players from 80's/90's would have an easier time playing in todays game compared to todays players playing in that much more physical era. Actually there are alotta players from this era that would have struggled in that era. Can you imagine KD going up against the Bad Boy Pistons? They would make him cry.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with that, too. I was thinking about a time machine situation. The greats are going to adjust to whatever. Just as the greats from the past could adjust and do what is needed today, the players today could adjust to whatever rules or style of play from the past. I think the tendency is to glorify the past, and I think it's ridiculous when people say that the players and teams today couldn't handle the Eighties or Nineties NBA because it was too tough. These players made it to where they are today because they are tough and wouldn't let other guys beat them out. Also, the talent pool is even bigger today, so it's even more competitive to make it today.

By tough, most folks are talking about how physical the game was. That would be tough for today's players because they aren't used to it. I mean, the famous McHale clothesline on Rambis was just a regular foul back then. Today, he'd be looking at a long suspension and fine.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players from 80's/90's would have an easier time playing in todays game compared to todays players playing in that much more physical era. Actually there are alotta players from this era that would have struggled in that era. Can you imagine KD going up against the Bad Boy Pistons? They would make him cry.

Not so sure about that. For the most part, the guys today are in better shape, so the physicality won't be an advantage for the old school players. Rookie Durant's body wouldn't cut it, but he's actually a lot bigger now.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By tough, most folks are talking about how physical the game was. That would be tough for today's players because they aren't used to it. I mean, the famous McHale clothesline on Rambis was just a regular foul back then. Today, he'd be looking at a long suspension and fine.

But they'd get used to it like you said with players from other times, and the rules would be the same for everyone. They would just clothesline them back.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and THIS is how the assclown responds...

WiggityWack is shit personified...:tsk:
It's fine, he's projecting
Wiggy is very tightly wound and takes sports, and his opinions about them, very seriously. And that's not unusual, he's a single guy in his 20s, sports are very important to him

So in his mind, he thinks posting that will bother me, like it's some devastating comeback. Because it would bother him. Obviously it's no big deal, the dynasty is over and we won 3 rings and went to 5 finals in a row. Even if I was still young and heavily invested I wouldnt care that they are struggling this year

It's weird, I guess I still hope he will grow up and use his considerable sports knowledge in good faith, he would be a good poster. But he'd rather be a clowny piece of shit.

He'll get a girlfriend and mellow out at some point.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also helps if one of your top players doesn't get tossed for arguing with a ref when you're down 40

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure about that. For the most part, the guys today are in better shape, so the physicality won't be an advantage for the old school players. Rookie Durant's body wouldn't cut it, but he's actually a lot bigger now.

But todays players aren't use to how physical the game was back then. I think todays players would have a tougher time adjusting to the 80's/90's style of the game compared to players from that era adjusting to where the game is today.

I think this is an intersting what if. Of course though there's no right or wrong answer since there's no way to find out.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wiggy is very tightly wound and takes sports, and his opinions about them, very seriously. And that's not unusual, he's a single guy in his 20s, sports are very important to him

So in his mind, he thinks posting that will bother me, like it's some devastating comeback. Because it would bother him. Obviously it's no big deal, the dynasty is over and we won 3 rings and went to 5 finals in a row. Even if I was still young and heavily invested I wouldnt care that they are struggling this year

It's weird, I guess I still hope he will grow up and use his considerable sports knowledge in good faith, he would be a good poster. But he'd rather be a clowny piece of shit.

well, i guess there's a chance, i suppose. they say there's someone for everyone...

though i would hope against it for the sake of the human gene pool...

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

giphy.gif

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is "this" so far? Are they a title contender?

Nice game last night, though, IMG.

‘This’ is a group of young talent, that was achieved by being able to evaluate talent in a means other than sucking and drafting perceived top talent.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's super early and still way too soon to tell, but I think the Dubs would be very lucky to win 41 games to finish with a .500 record this season.
This is pretty much a transition year for them in more ways than one.
They'll more than likely end up going 32-50 when it's all said and done.

Just my :2cents:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But todays players aren't use to how physical the game was back then. I think todays players would have a tougher time adjusting to the 80's/90's style of the game compared to players from that era adjusting to where the game is today.

I think this is an intersting what if. Of course though there's no right or wrong answer since there's no way to find out.

I think they'd adjust. With grown men in a serious competition, no one is going to back down. It's just human nature, and I don't think human nature is different now than it was then.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hell, one title changed my perception.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it's super early and still way too soon to tell, but I think the Dubs would be very lucky to win 41 games to finish with a .500 record this season.
This is pretty much a transition year for them in more ways than one.
They'll more than likely end up going 32-50 when it's all said and done.
Just my :2cents:

Dude, 32-50 is better