• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous numbers put up for Miami in their OT win.

Duncan Robinson- Career high 34 and shot 10-14 from 3.
Kendrick Nunn- Career high 36
Bam- Career high 30 to go along with 11 rebounds and 11 assist.
Jimmy with another triple double and a career high 18 rebounds

Da fuq happened with Herro???
0-6, 0 points, -30 in a game they won by 14?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh

I could see it as being possible. Not saying it's incredibly likely but possible

To be possible, you're going to get a crap return (at least a bad contract) and still might need to include picks. I was surprised they traded for him in the first place. Talented player, but just can't be the guy (or really even the #2) for a winning team IMO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well salary matching will limit the number of teams that CAN make a deal. Then you need to find a team that also needs a player like Love.

Love is a good player who costs a lot of money for several years and can't stay healthy. How much are teams really going to be willing to give up to get him?

I think a mid to late 1st could be got. I don't think an established young player like Collins can be.
Pretty sure Love was mostly healthy until last season while here. Had some issues but were freak occurrences, not lingering issues (like with feet, knees, etc). Also think if needed he'd have played more last season.

I don't get the Collins infatuation, but that's just personal opinion. He's a JAG.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous numbers put up for Miami in their OT win.

Duncan Robinson- Career high 34 and shot 10-14 from 3.
Kendrick Nunn- Career high 36
Bam- Career high 30 to go along with 11 rebounds and 11 assist.
Jimmy with another triple double and a career high 18 rebounds

No Herro mention?

I kid...nice comeback.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure Love was mostly healthy until last season while here. Had some issues but were freak occurrences, not lingering issues (like with feet, knees, etc). Also think if needed he'd have played more last season.

I don't get the Collins infatuation, but that's just personal opinion. He's a JAG.

Love hasn't played more than 60 games in 5 years. Not a good trend line for a 31 year old making north of 30 mill a year.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love hasn't played more than 60 games in 5 years. Not a good trend line for a 31 year old making north of 30 mill a year.
Make it sound a lot worse than it really is.

Not more? True, but in 2 of the years he played 59 and 60. 1 of the 5 years is barely a quarter old. And last year there was no reason to rush him back.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Make it sound a lot worse than it really is.

Not more? True, but in 2 of the years he played 59 and 60. 1 of the 5 years is barely a quarter old. And last year there was no reason to rush him back.

I'm stating simple facts. Kevin Love is 31 years old, making over 30 million a year for 4 more years. That significantly diminishing his value.

Does he still have value? Of course. But he has one of the most difficult contracts to move in the NBA. The Blazers, as an example, would be giving up a huge expiring contract in Whiteside that will handcuff the Blazers for the foreseeable future. They may do that if they feel that Love is the player that could make them a real contender. But they aren't going to give up the farm to do it either. And I can't think of another team that would be a serious contender for Love.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm stating simple facts. Kevin Love is 31 years old, making over 30 million a year for 4 more years. That significantly diminishing his value.

Does he still have value? Of course. But he has one of the most difficult contracts to move in the NBA. The Blazers, as an example, would be giving up a huge expiring contract in Whiteside that will handcuff the Blazers for the foreseeable future. They may do that if they feel that Love is the player that could make them a real contender. But they aren't going to give up the farm to do it either. And I can't think of another team that would be a serious contender for Love.
agree you stated facts and they were simple. Dig deeper into those facts and they aren't so bad. Yes, didn't play "over 60" but played 59 and 60 which isn't terrible. Also one of the 5 seasons is a quarter old and in the other he likely was held out because they didn't need to win. All but last of those comments are facts, as well.

We are in agreement not many teams COULD deal for Love. But the idea they wouldn't want him is far from a "simple fact".

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree you stated facts and they were simple. Dig deeper into those facts and they aren't so bad. Yes, didn't play "over 60" but played 59 and 60 which isn't terrible. Also one of the 5 seasons is a quarter old and in the other he likely was held out because they didn't need to win. All but last of those comments are facts, as well.

The previous 4 seasons Kevin Love missed at least a quarter of every season. Every GM is going to know this.

We are in agreement not many teams COULD deal for Love. But the idea they wouldn't want him is far from a "simple fact".

I didn't say that no teams would want him. You are moving the goal posts. Virtually EVERY team would want Kevin Love. At the right price.

If Kevin Love was making league minimum then there would be 29 teams asking about him. At 30 million a year, however, there are going to be very few teams that can or would take on his 120 million owed.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The previous 4 seasons Kevin Love missed at least a quarter of every season. Every GM is going to know this.

I didn't say that no teams would want him. You are moving the goal posts. Virtually EVERY team would want Kevin Love. At the right price.

If Kevin Love was making league minimum then there would be 29 teams asking about him. At 30 million a year, however, there are going to be very few teams that can or would take on his 120 million owed.
OK, and many players now miss 1/4 of seasons or close to it by choice.

And what I said isn't moving the goal posts one bit. People really need to learn how to correctly use that term if they insist on using it.

Have never changed my comments one bit in this discussion or tried to change the direction(which is what moving the goal posts is). Have always said most teams would want him, but due to his salary it would be tough for teams who really need him to make it work because of his salary. In addition, teams in contention are the ones who would want him and they wont want to deal players the Cavs would want as they will be needed to help their team win.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, and many players now miss 1/4 of seasons or close to it by choice.

And what I said isn't moving the goal posts one bit. People really need to learn how to correctly use that term if they insist on using it.

Have never changed my comments one bit in this discussion or tried to change the direction(which is what moving the goal posts is). Have always said most teams would want him, but due to his salary it would be tough for teams who really need him to make it work because of his salary. In addition, teams in contention are the ones who would want him and they wont want to deal players the Cavs would want as they will be needed to help their team win.

When you say "We are in agreement not many teams COULD deal for Love. But the idea they wouldn't want him is far from a "simple fact"." you are moving the goal post to a generalize statement about Kevin Love. Consider the following.

1. Would teams like to have Kevin Love on their roster?
2. Would teams want to pay Kevin Love 30 million dollars a year for the next 4 years for Kevin Love?

The answer to question 1 is an overwhelming yes. Kevin Love is a good player, borderline All-Star, so of course they would love to have them on their team when judging him as a player.

The answer to question 2, otoh, is far more complicated. While close to all 29 teams would like to have Kevin Love on their team, the number of teams that would be willing to pay him 120 million over 4 years is much much smaller. It goes from 29 teams to maybe 4 or 5. And of those 4 or 5 teams, MAYBE 1 or 2 would be able to trade for him.

So when you make a claim about No. 1 in response to my points about No. 2, you are moving the goalposts. And you are doing it to frame the discussion in a way to maximize the perceived value of Kevin Love.