• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2019-2020 Official Regular Season Thread

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hate to say I told you so. OK, I really don't.

We've gone in circles on this, but there's difference between greatness and sustained greatness. It's the reason why Pop was able to sustain greatness and why Phil can't ever come back and operate the triangle. Adaptation is key and that's what Kerr is lacking right now. Doesn't mean he's was not an elite coach.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've gone in circles on this, but there's difference between greatness and sustained greatness. It's the reason why Pop was able to sustain greatness and why Phil can't ever come back and operate the triangle. Adaptation is key and that's what Kerr is lacking right now. Doesn't mean he's was not an elite coach.
Fair...but also doesn't mean he is elite and the vast majority of coaches don't win 3 titles in his situation (if not more).

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you got to see 3 titles before it came to this.

I've been watching the Warriors as a die hard fan since 1993. Including the 18 year period where the Warriors made the playoffs one time. I had season tickets at the time. This don't phase me at all. LOL.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been watching the Warriors as a die hard fan since 1993. Including the 18 year period where the Warriors made the playoffs one time. I had season tickets at the time. This don't phase me at all. LOL.
Don't blame you one bit. Makes this season harder to watch. Is what it is.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair...but also doesn't mean he is elite and the vast majority of coaches don't win 3 titles in his situation (if not more).

He built the perfect system for the personnel he had at the time. The problem now is he's running the same exact system, with not the ideal people to run it. Crafting a system to suit the players strengths is one of the biggest jobs a coach can do for his team in the NBA. There's not a whole ton of control they have outside of that and rotations.

It's why D'Antoni can't get over the hill, because he has a system and is just trying to plug and play guys. It works to an extent but only that. If you swap out PJ Tucker for Draymond Green, the Rockets already have a title. It's why Phil couldn't adapt to the NBA because he wouldn't get away from the Triangle and part of why he ruined New York.

Everyone focuses on the last 3 years of Kerr's first 5 as his defining years of greatness, when it actuality it's his first two that shows the true greatness. Yes having Durant was basically a cheat code, but he created the system FIRST that KD wanted to be a part of.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What made it hard the first few games was a lack of effort. Not sure again how much of that is dedicated towards the game planning versus execution. But the last few games have been competitive for 3 quarters and in reality that's the most you can expect from this team given it's roster. I won't mind a 18 win season if the Warriors continually give effort. It's why Jason Richardson is still one of my all time favorite Warriors ever. Gave it everything he had all the time and got better each year. Took out full page ads apologizing to fans telling them he's trying to do better.

All I want to see is effort and growth. This season I'm realistic about the new expectations.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Real fans always watch. Bad or good. Not saying they stick around if the team is down 25 with 5 minutes left in the 4th but real/die hard fans will still watch games as they normally would. Difference is they may not stick around late in the game if it is a blowout

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching heat games like i normally would during that 15-67 season. You basically just deal with it and remain loyal

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad seasons like this separate the bandwagon fans from the diehard fans

Amazing time if you ask me

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching heat games like i normally would during that 15-67 season. You basically just deal with it and remain loyal

I remember having Bimbo Coles, Bobby Sura, Larry Hughes, Vonteego Cummings as our starting guards over the years. I remember a year where Chris Mills was our best player. I remember the teams that put Brian Cardinal and Earl Boykins on the map. We had some rough years man. But still watched.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He built the perfect system for the personnel he had at the time. The problem now is he's running the same exact system, with not the ideal people to run it. Crafting a system to suit the players strengths is one of the biggest jobs a coach can do for his team in the NBA. There's not a whole ton of control they have outside of that and rotations.

It's why D'Antoni can't get over the hill, because he has a system and is just trying to plug and play guys. It works to an extent but only that. If you swap out PJ Tucker for Draymond Green, the Rockets already have a title. It's why Phil couldn't adapt to the NBA because he wouldn't get away from the Triangle and part of why he ruined New York.

Everyone focuses on the last 3 years of Kerr's first 5 as his defining years of greatness, when it actuality it's his first two that shows the true greatness. Yes having Durant was basically a cheat code, but he created the system FIRST that KD wanted to be a part of.
All good points, but he had some pretty good players. In every Finals when talent was not tremendously skewed in his favor he lost.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points, but he had some pretty good players. In every Finals when talent was not tremendously skewed in his favor he lost.

In 2015 he had the same players Mark Jackson had in 2014 that was a first round exit. He convinced Andre Iguodala to take a bench role after he was a career all-star. He "lucked" into Draymond Green after David Lee's injury but he stuck with Draymond even after Lee returned. You have to remember Lee was also a fringe All-star pre-injury and Kerr had designed a lot of the offense to suit his strenghts. He used Bogut on high screens to utilize his passing. He implemented more down screens and off ball movement to get Curry and Klay space to shoot. Jackson was running an iso post offense in 2014. Kerr had the exact same players Mark Jackson had in 2014 that was a first round exit in the playoffs as a 6th seed. He turned that team into a champion in 2015 and 73 game winner in 2016.

So we have actual proof another coach could not do what he did.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@dtgold88

Just curious, since we talk about coaching a lot, what are your metrics for an elite coach? How do you quantify who you consider a great coach? I'm genuinely curious.