• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Rule 5 Draft thread

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you can carry him to spring, and he does well, you can shop him. If he does poorly, return him to Colorado and get some of the money back (although I think that maybe Miami pays the Giants for the Rule 5 fee and if they return him they get half of it back, I don't know).
He would need to pass through waivers in order to be offered back to the Cards. As for seeing how he does in ST, I can only assume FZ had no intention of giving him a shot. I am not saying I agree with that opinion, just that that theory explains why he was cut now.

Unless they thought maybe he would clear waivers and the Cards would not want him back so they could simply send him to the minors. I don’t think that is a likely scenario, though.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would need to pass through waivers in order to be offered back to the Cards. As for seeing how he does in ST, I can only assume FZ had no intention of giving him a shot. I am not saying I agree with that opinion, just that that theory explains why he was cut now.

Unless they thought maybe he would clear waivers and the Cards would not want him back so they could simply send him to the minors. I don’t think that is a likely scenario, though.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that both moves don't make sense to a fan who doesn't have insider information. But if its about trying to maximize value, Fernandez could have at least been showcased before dumping, if there is room on the 40 man roster. Johnson was able to be safely tucked away on the farm (so far. We'll see what happens on December 13th). The hard part for me to understand is, why make so many open spots on the 40 man roster? They can make these moves as needed when it is full and a free agent is going to be signed.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that both moves don't make sense to a fan who doesn't have insider information. But if its about trying to maximize value, Fernandez could have at least been showcased before dumping, if there is room on the 40 man roster. Johnson was able to be safely tucked away on the farm (so far. We'll see what happens on December 13th). The hard part for me to understand is, why make so many open spots on the 40 man roster? They can make these moves as needed when it is full and a free agent is going to be signed.
We are in complete agreement about the 40 management. Why lock yourself into a decision when you don’t have to yet?

:scratch:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rule 5 Draft is today. I assume the team will pick up at least one player from it, maybe two. Will be interesting to see if they do, and if so, who it is they get.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just checked my notes. I saw this guy pitch in 2017 in Vancouver. He's got swing and miss stuff, lacks control.

Or at least, he did in low A ball.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised to see that the Padres took no one in the major league portion of the draft.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the minor league phase...

The Giants got...

Peter Maris (3B TB)
Sam Moll (P Tor)

And lost...

Dustin Knight (Min)
Jeffery Baez (Arz)
Ian Gardeck (TB)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Giants got...

Peter Maris (3B TB)
Sam Moll (P Tor)

And lost...

Dustin Knight (Min)
Jeffery Baez (Arz)
Ian Gardeck (TB)
Interesting that both Knight and Gardeck weren't even protected in the minor league portion. That's a lot of pitchers that they prioritized over those two. Not surprised that either got picked since they were available.

Not even familiar with Baez. He must have been a minor league free agent that was recently picked up. Why even sign him if he is not protected in the minor league portion?

Sam Moll is an interesting pick up. He rocketed through the minors after being a 3rd round pick of the Rockies in 2013, only to stall out at AAA the past three years. He gives up a lot of hits but has a decent K rate and okay walk rate.

Peter Maris is an intriguing pick up too. He is 25 years old but hit decently at AA last year. With a glaring lack of production in the minors at the hot corner, he definitely has a chance to be noticed with a good 2019.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that both Knight and Gardeck weren't even protected in the minor league portion. That's a lot of pitchers that they prioritized over those two. Not surprised that either got picked since they were available.

Not even familiar with Baez. He must have been a minor league free agent that was recently picked up. Why even sign him if he is not protected in the minor league portion?

Sam Moll is an interesting pick up. He rocketed through the minors after being a 3rd round pick of the Rockies in 2013, only to stall out at AAA the past three years. He gives up a lot of hits but has a decent K rate and okay walk rate.

Peter Maris is an intriguing pick up too. He is 25 years old but hit decently at AA last year. With a glaring lack of production in the minors at the hot corner, he definitely has a chance to be noticed with a good 2019.

Yeah I'm pretty shocked neither were protected either. I wouldn't be surprised if both picked some big league innings this year.

Gardeck had ML stuff, but was setback with injuries.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Travis Bergen

Bergen has been praised as a solid pick because of his chance to stick in the big leagues as a situational lefty, which obviously is key as a rule 5 pick (having enough value to stick around). With Osich and Okert providing minimal value and running out of options, Bergan can possibly fill that void.

Ferguson is an athletic outfielder who is more of an OBP guy with the bat than a power guy. Potential Gorkys Hernendez replacement? Is he better than Austin Slater? He honestly sounds exactly like Slater, except with a significantly better eye.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Giants got...

Peter Maris (3B TB)
Sam Moll (P Tor)

And lost...

Dustin Knight (Min)
Jeffery Baez (Arz)
Ian Gardeck (TB)

Moll pitched in the big league in 2017 where he showed a low 90s fastball and two off-speed pitches. Was injured a lot last year.

Peter Maris underwent a swing change this year trying to cut down on ground balls and hit more flyballs and more power. It worked really well for him. Another high-OBP guy.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bergen has been praised as a solid pick because of his chance to stick in the big leagues as a situational lefty, which obviously is key as a rule 5 pick (having enough value to stick around). With Osich and Okert providing minimal value and running out of options, Bergan can possibly fill that void.

Ferguson is an athletic outfielder who is more of an OBP guy with the bat than a power guy. Potential Gorkys Hernendez replacement? Is he better than Austin Slater? He honestly sounds exactly like Slater, except with a significantly better eye.

Moll pitched in the big league in 2017 where he showed a low 90s fastball and two off-speed pitches. Was injured a lot last year.

Peter Maris underwent a swing change this year trying to cut down on ground balls and hit more flyballs and more power. It worked really well for him. Another high-OBP guy.

I'm actually kinda' excited about this year's group of picks. And some of the minor league signings as well. The bats are very different than what the Giants have gone after in the minor league market in past years.