• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 (MLB) News & Transactions

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad. Offense is what we need.
Meh. OF defense has been a bit rough. And Gorkys I think profiles better as a LFer, defensively. We now have a reportedly GG-level defender in center with a plus defender in left.

And Cutch in right.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. OF defense has been a bit rough. And Gorkys I think profiles better as a LFer, defensively. We now have a reportedly GG-level defender in center with a plus defender in left.

And Cutch in right.
I would have liked to have seen more Slater in left, kept Gorkys in center and give Duggar time in AAA. The bat needed more time down there. We needed to see Jackson gone, but did it really have to be unloading Jason Bahr as well? That looks like an awful trade, even if it unloaded some money. I'd rather see the Giants eat those contracts than get rid of Bahr. The dude was beginning to look like a bright spot in an otherwise unstellar rotation options in the minors.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have liked to have seen more Slater in left, kept Gorkys in center and give Duggar time in AAA. The bat needed more time down there. We needed to see Jackson gone, but did it really have to be unloading Jason Bahr as well? That looks like an awful trade, even if it unloaded some money. I'd rather see the Giants eat those contracts than get rid of Bahr. The dude was beginning to look like a bright spot in an otherwise unstellar rotation options in the minors.
We all knew it would cost us to unload Jax, and getting rid of Gearrin as well is a big bonus. And while Behr was a prospect on the rise, we gotta remember TINSTAAPP.

And as someone mentioned earlier, this allows some flexibility come deadline.

I hate to see Behr go. That continues to thin our minor league depth. And I hate it more because Jax was a mistake we all saw at the time of the signing. But at least it is a sign of some self awareness by the FO and shows they are willing and able to adjust when needed. Mistakes happen. Just fix them when they do happen.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all knew it would cost us to unload Jax, and getting rid of Gearrin as well is a big bonus. And while Behr was a prospect on the rise, we gotta remember TINSTAAPP.

And as someone mentioned earlier, this allows some flexibility come deadline.

I hate to see Behr go. That continues to thin our minor league depth. And I hate it more because Jax was a mistake we all saw at the time of the signing. But at least it is a sign of some self awareness by the FO and shows they are willing and able to adjust when needed. Mistakes happen. Just fix them when they do happen.
Yes, I agree that the FO recognizing their mistake and doing something to fix it is a good thing. But I think that a straight release would have been a better fix. And I'm not sure Duggar is ready yet. Bahr may not shake out but the point of a farm system is to develop players to graduate to the big club, not fix FO errors. This team, in my opinion, isn't going to be a legitimate contender. They've broken down too many times, but I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, shipping off more prospects for more veterans will only hurt the team now and in the future.

And remind me what TINSTAAPP means again.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors circulating that Jax will not even suit up for the Rangers. He is reportedly going to be flipped imediately.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I agree that the FO recognizing their mistake and doing something to fix it is a good thing. But I think that a straight release would have been a better fix. And I'm not sure Duggar is ready yet. Bahr may not shake out but the point of a farm system is to develop players to graduate to the big club, not fix FO errors. This team, in my opinion, isn't going to be a legitimate contender. They've broken down too many times, but I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not, shipping off more prospects for more veterans will only hurt the team now and in the future.

And remind me what TINSTAAPP means again.
There Is No Such Thing As A Pitching Prospect

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see if Slater and Duggar can collectively fix the LF situation (with Gork moving over when Slater starts in CF) by the trade deadline. If not, LF will be the biggest need, aside from #weaklink.

I could see a Shark trade as well.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see if Slater and Duggar can collectively fix the LF situation (with Gork moving over when Slater starts in CF) by the trade deadline. If not, LF will be the biggest need, aside from #weaklink.

Duggar will start in CF over Slater. Gork will move over for him

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What's #weaklink?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some dude named Shark....

Just one SP? Agreed, he's the weakest of the 5. Not sure how we unload him and who we can get who's better, but yes that one guy is our worst starter.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just one SP? Agreed, he's the weakest of the 5. Not sure how we unload him and who we can get who's better, but yes that one guy is our worst starter.
Well, there is the guy starting tonight...

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. That’s harsh.

Should the Giants consider picking him up after he clears?
giphy.gif

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word on the street continues to be Harper, Bryce.

What do you guys think? It's probably going to cost the richest contract in MLB history.

He'll just be 26 and he's a dynamic bat, definitely feared. Lineup-altering. Excellent eye at the plate.

But his defense is pretty poor and in RF that could be a major issue. Just 0.3 bWar, 1.5 fWar this year so he hasn't been all that great. He's had a couple of injured years too. And his number in AT&T are frankly terrible.

I keep going back and forth. I mean when you sign this guy, you're going all-in. You're a luxury tax team, veteran team, limited flexibility etc.

If the team goes after Bryce, do they just say fuck it and go all-in on the rest of their payroll too?