• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Akron Game Week Thread

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're entitled to your opinion, and I don't like his decision one bit. But the kid (yes kid) has 4 years left to play and will more than likely be the backup to Martinez for the next 4 years. You only get to play college football once. If he has the talent to start at a P5 school then I respect his decision to want to go somewhere where he will.
Sure, as do I. What I don't respect is making that decision 5 days before opening kick off.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you that I would not have done what he did. No matter where I was enrolled.

One snap away from being the starting quarterback in one of the most exciting offenses in the country. Yeah, I wouldn’t have done that.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, as do I. What I don't respect is making that decision 5 days before opening kick off.

I can tell you that I would not have done what he did. No matter where I was enrolled.

One snap away from being the starting quarterback in one of the most exciting offenses in the country. Yeah, I wouldn’t have done that.

I get it. 5 days before kickoff is not ideal. But I would also argue that if he had left in the spring with POB he would have been ripped by some people as well for not trying to compete against Martinez to win the job.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm with @Skerpokes . i understand he's one snap away from being the starter if an injury arises but he wants his shot and maybe in an offense that more suits him. how many meaningful snaps did the backup at UCF get the past 2 years? not saying Martinez is Milton but still, he didn't get injured and so it's completely possible.

i wish him the best of luck wherever he goes.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm with @Skerpokes . i understand he's one snap away from being the starter if an injury arises but he wants his shot and maybe in an offense that more suits him. how many meaningful snaps did the backup at UCF get the past 2 years? not saying Martinez is Milton but still, he didn't get injured and so it's completely possible.

One snap away from keeping the seat warm while Martinez recovers. Gebbia is a legit QB...I don’t blame him in the slightest for transferring to be able to play.

How do we all feel about Frost transferring from Stanford? It’s the old adage...these kids are bitches if they transfer from our team but incoming transfers are just gamers looking for their shot to play.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was attempting to say this as well, but Shatel from OWH said it much better.

"Gebbia could have stayed and left after the season, which would have benefited Nebraska, but not necessarily Gebbia. He's already used a redshirt. If he's going to miss a year, he might as well do it at his next school, learning that offense and getting a fresh start in the spring. If, in fact, Gebbia can find that school this fall."

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not mad at him at all nor am I seeing this from the perspective that Nebraska is losing its backup.

I just feel bad for him. I see this as potentially being a huge mistake.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milton only got the start at UCF when the #1 QB went out with an injury, Frosts intention was to redshirt him the first year

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Gebbia could have stayed and left after the season, which would have benefited Nebraska, but not necessarily Gebbia. He's already used a redshirt. If he's going to miss a year, he might as well do it at his next school, learning that offense and getting a fresh start in the spring. If, in fact, Gebbia can find that school this fall."

He could also end up being just another Harrison Beck.
https://journalstar-com.cdn.ampproj...cle_8d12ef2f-a1ed-526b-9bef-6be7f36cb248.html

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I comprehend right Gebbia has to enroll at said new school before admissions close, which means he needed to make the decision immediately like yesterday

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really does suck. Under the scenario you are talking where Gebbia isn't well suited for this offense, I figured he was a gamer that would wait his turn. He must have put out feelers to other schools to want out this fast. In fact, i'd bet he has another school lined up already. Frost has some QB recruiting to do.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever’s best for him. That’s all that matters.

Hope it works out.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. 5 days before kickoff is not ideal. But I would also argue that if he had left in the spring with POB he would have been ripped by some people as well for not trying to compete against Martinez to win the job.
I'm sure he would have But not by me. My whole issue is with the timing.
The kid knows his abilities. He obviously felt that he fit the system all the way up until he was named the back up.

I guess that is the world we live in. Everyone should be the starter. If you're not you should transfer somewhere that doesn't have the competition so you can be.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except in this case he isn't the starter because he was a square peg in a round hole, even though he did shave the corners off, and that only speaks to his ability He was still not able to get the starting job because he didn't fit the offense and with Scott continuously recruiting for his system it would likely only get harder as the years went on.
I wish he had stayed but if he wants to play pro, and it seems he has the ability, this was probably his best shot.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that he was a square peg. He demonstrated that he could use his legs during the spring game. Unlike POB, who was a fence post, Gebbia had enough mobility for this system.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that he was a square peg. He demonstrated that he could use his legs during the spring game. Unlike POB, who was a fence post, Gebbia had enough mobility for this system.

He was enough to compete but not to start.
Took this from Omaha.com Tristan Gebbia misses Monday practice, no longer enrolled in classes

Martinez won the job, Frost said, because of his “athletic ability.”

“At the end of the day we’re more dangerous — if the throwing is close — if we have a quarterback that’s a threat to run it,” Frost said.

So no he wasn't a fence post but AM got the start because he better fit the system, as will every qb coming after.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I comprehend right Gebbia has to enroll at said new school before admissions close, which means he needed to make the decision immediately like yesterday
he'd be looking at schools that are on a quarters system instead of semesters. Most of CA does that so the new quarter doesn't start until mid-sept. Oregon/Oregon State/Stanford/Washington are some others. basically most of the western schools as some others have mentioned.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he'd be looking at schools that are on a quarters system instead of semesters. Most of CA does that so the new quarter doesn't start until mid-sept. Oregon/Oregon State/Stanford/Washington are some others. basically most of the western schools as some others have mentioned.
100% chance he ends up at a pac school

The only thing that disappoints me a bit is that he burned his ship for the whole year, otherwise we could have given it to a walkon