• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 NFL DRAFT THREAD

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson isn't a sexy pick. But BC defense was a top 10 defense last year and it's always stout

Kupp and Johnson both ran 4.6 40s but had under 6.75 on the 3 cone - That's pretty good

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Round 2, pick No. 44 overall: Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama

Rams long draft wait finally ends
The Rams didn’t have a first-round pick to spend since it was traded away last year, so they waited until the second round and picked up the talented Gerald Everett. The Rams were in desperate need of weapons for second-year QB Jared Goff, and Everett will be a nice, moveable target. Everett is the type of tight end that can be best utilized out in the slot, where he caught 29 of his passes last season. Everett can also rack up yards after the catch, averaging 9.1 yards after the catch per reception in each of the last two seasons. — Jordan Plocher, @PFF_Jordan

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson isn't a sexy pick. But BC defense was a top 10 and it's always stout

Kupp and Johnson both ran 4.6 40s but had under 6.75 on the 3 cone - That's pretty good

So SJ, what are your thoughts so far?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So SJ, what are your thoughts so far?

I think they still reach a bit when good drafting teams let BPA fall to them.

Let's see where they get a center.

I'm not pissed but I'm not crazy impressed either

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Los Angeles Rams selecting wide receiver Cooper Kupp in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft, it could indicate a change in roles for slot receiver Tavon Austin.

Alden Gonzalez has heard the Rams may want to move Austin to an outside option (via ESPN):

Their top four receivers — Austin, [Robert] Woods, [Pharoh] Cooper and Kupp — are better at short-to-intermediate routes. But the Rams are also hopeful that Austin, who boasts blazing speed, can develop into a vertical deep threat, a la DeSean Jackson.

Previously the Rams had used Austin mostly as a slot receiver. But with Cooper and now Kupp both more suited for that role, Austin could expect to play a new role this season.

Kupp primarily played in the slot during college, and one would expect him to do the same in the NFL.

But if Austin does not thrive in that role, Cooper has enough creative balance and explosiveness to be a versatile outside wideout at the next level as well.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they still reach a bit when good drafting teams let BPA fall to them.

Let's see where they get a center.

I'm not pissed but I'm not crazy impressed either

Same here SJ.

I'm not shaking my head, but I'm not excited either.

Maybe it's because we are kind of tired of hoping for the picks to work out, and most of the time they don't.

I will say this. They are taking guys who can actually catch the ball ( on top of the Woods signing ), so maybe we won't have to watch so many balls hit the grass this season and they can sustain some drives for once.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 23-year-old Washington native is the most prolific receiver in FCS history and is the all-time college football leader in receiving yards (6,464) despite not being recruited out of high school. So Kupp is clearly the kind of player that has no problem with proving himself to his doubters.

With that in mind, here are five more key things to know about Kupp:

1. He is the son of former Giants quarterback Craig Kupp and the grandson of Saints Hall of Fame offensive lineman Jake Kupp.
  2. He got married in June of 2015 before his junior season to former Eastern Washington heptathlete Anna Croskrey.
  3. He won the Walter Payton Award in 2015 – given to the best offensive player in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). Notable former winners of the award are Jimmy Garoppolo (2013) and Tony Romo (2002).
  4. He is just the second wide receiver that is 6’2″ or taller to be drafted by the Rams since 2012.
  5. ESPN compared him to Jordy Nelson on their draft broadcast, noting that he is a bit slower but has the same great hands and instinctive timing in his route running.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Los Angeles Rams selecting wide receiver Cooper Kupp in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft, it could indicate a change in roles for slot receiver Tavon Austin.

Alden Gonzalez has heard the Rams may want to move Austin to an outside option (via ESPN):

Their top four receivers — Austin, [Robert] Woods, [Pharoh] Cooper and Kupp — are better at short-to-intermediate routes. But the Rams are also hopeful that Austin, who boasts blazing speed, can develop into a vertical deep threat, a la DeSean Jackson.

Previously the Rams had used Austin mostly as a slot receiver. But with Cooper and now Kupp both more suited for that role, Austin could expect to play a new role this season.

Kupp primarily played in the slot during college, and one would expect him to do the same in the NFL.

But if Austin does not thrive in that role, Cooper has enough creative balance and explosiveness to be a versatile outside wideout at the next level as well.

So, now we have to watch Tavon drop deep balls instead of 5 yard passes?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Everett pick looks like a reach, but I'll defer to the tight end coach turned head coach that made the pick for now. Cupp and Johnson are solid picks IMO.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait for this season, interesting to see how the offense works. You have to Everett and Kupp are starters. It might be a two Cooper and Everett show.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing the TE's that have gone since the Rams took Everett, maybe it wasn't as big of a reach as we thought

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Everett pick looks like a reach, but I'll defer to the tight end coach turned head coach that made the pick for now. Cupp and Johnson are solid picks IMO.

Pro Football Focus had him as a better TE than Engram who was selected by the Giants at 23.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro Football Focus had him as a better TE than Engram who was selected by the Giants at 23.

He was all over the board depending on who did the rankings.

Some said 2nd, some showed late 3rd. I saw some as late as the 5th.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pro Football Focus would've been about the only one then. He does have a size advantage on Engram, but is slower and played at a lower level of competition. Engram is practically a WR though.

Not mad at the pick, just thought there were better players available at other positions.

Last edited:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what are you guys hoping for tomorrow?

I'm hoping they go C and LB in the 4th

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good players from small schools on offense.

I really like the Johnson pick. As much as I like Tankersley, Johnson may come in and start

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anthony Walker JR
Orlosky
Davenport

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why this team continues to reach on players and turn a blind eye to BPA and blue chippers is beyond any logical explanation. Seriously, all of these players could have been selected in the 3rd and 4th rounds or maybe even later. Meanwhile, Pocic goes to Seattle and Robinson to Jax. Don't know where Lamp is and Eflein is still around I suppose. I am not impressed with this draft again.

The Kupp selection was probably the highlight but again, what the hell is McSnead thinking or doing? Seriously, we wait to take a smallish safety in Johnson by passing how many corners and safeties rated better? Why do I have this suspicion that this whole affair is going to be yet another cluster f...?